Make a donation

Author Topic: Ferrari 360 enhancement detail  (Read 2920 times)

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Ferrari 360 enhancement detail
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:40 pm »
Truckie from the forum and myself spent the best part of Tuesday and Wednesday this week carrying out an enhancement detail on a Ferrari 360, Its the one his Father has for the Ferrari driving experience at Knockhill Racing Circuit up in SUNNY Scotland  :grin:.

PRODUCTS USED
Megs wheel brightner
Swissvax wheel brush
EZ detail wheel brush
Valet pro snow foam
Dodo juice BTBM
Megs last touch
Megs ASD
Megs APC
Megs de-greaser
AG fast glass
Megs #205
3m yellow polsihing pad and spot pad
3m Grey gloss finishing
3m 3434 tape
Poorboys wheel sealant
Duragloss tyre and rubber dressing
Megs metal polsih
Clearkote red moose glaze
Victoria concours red wax
Jetseal 109
AS tardis
CYC yellow fine clay

First up was the wheels, they get quite a bit of abuse with the majority of there life being on track, so alot of built up brake dust, tar and general grime

The wheels were given a rinse with the Karcher, then Megs wheel brightner was applied and worked in with a swissvax wheel brish and EZ detail, then tardis was applied to remove tar spots. Although this worked wonders and removing the brown staining and tar spots, alot of built up inbeded brake dust was left behind ( a new set of wheels is waitng to go on after winter). The arches were given a good soak in APC and power rinsed also.

Next up was the engine, this was given a spray with Megs APC, and the areas that needed it some Megs de-greaser, worked in with some detailing brushes then rinsed on low pressure, Then engine was then fired ( what a sound!!)

The bodywork was given a power rinse then snowfoam was applied, while this was dweling the badges and shuts etc were worked using a detail brush. (no pictures of the washing stage as it was about -10 and like an ice rink  :laugh:)
Snowfoam was rinsed off and the car was washed in the usual 2BM with a sonus lambswool mitt with dodo juice BTBM shampoo. Car was then rinsed again a tardis applied to the lower half and tailgate to remove tar spots and rubber. This was then rinsed off and the car was clayed using CYC yellow fine clay with Megs LT as lube. The car was then washed again 2BM.
Car was dried with a poorboys ultra plush drying towel and megs last touch as a drying aid, an airline was used to remove water from the tight areas and vents, grills etc.
It was then time to tape up the car ready for the machine polishing stage, this was done using 3M 3434 tape.
After a few pad and polish combos, we settled for a 3m yellow gloss polishing pad and Megs #205.
A few 50/50 shots

Bumpers done with Megs G220 and 3m spots pads with #205

With this being an enhancement detail, the aim was to restore clarity, depth and gloss to the paintwork, so there was going to be some scratches and RDS left behind, as you can see in the % The car on 50/50 picutres. Most days gets washed at least 2 or 3 times, So picks up alot of swirling and marring.

badge beofre

After

Once the car was completely polished, it was powerwashed down the remove any polish dust, dried again then brought back inside to be glazed.
A pic for Red Robin in his style (courtesy of Truckies digit)  :grin:

The glaze used was Clearkote red moose glaze with a 3m grey finishing pad, a great product for darker colours. While this was being carried out, the engine bay, arches etc were dressed with Megs ASD, tyres dressed with Duragloss and glass was done with AG fast glass.
Once the glazing stage was complete, It was then onto waxing, this was done with Vics concours red wax, while this was curing, the exhausts were polish with 00 grade wire wool and Megs metal polish, wheels sealed with poorboys wheel sealant and calipers were done with jetseal 109.

The wax was taken off with some plush Eurow towels, the car was the rolled outside for some pictures. The finished car............

Time taken between the two of us was roughly 14-15 hours
All wothwhile, and shes out on track today  :scared:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:45:28 pm by craigy123 »

PM for details

Saint Steve

Re: Ferrari 360 enhancement detail
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:41:11 pm »
 :congrats: :congrats:

Such a difference when Red is corrected.

I've just booked my Ferrari experience at silverstone in February!

Do you know test ferarri's they have?

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:00:15 pm »
:congrats: :congrats:

Such a difference when Red is corrected.

I've just booked my Ferrari experience at silverstone in February!

Do you know test ferarri's they have?

Thanks Steve. The aim was achieved, just a putty about the deep marks and RDS.

I honestly couldn't tell you, Truckie might be able to tell you  :happy2:

PM for details

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »
RDS you say?  :signLOL: Its a working car so these things are to be expected  :sad1: Along with the baked on brake dust  :driver:
Loads more to come from Perfect Auto Detail

Heres how it looked at the end of today  :sick:

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:45:10 pm »
Nice guys. As stated, it's a working car, I wouldn't be worrying about rds's

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »
Nice guys. As stated, it's a working car, I wouldn't be worrying about rds's
Exactly, the aim was achieved. It's not going to be winning any concours shows. Good for the customers to be getting into a bright red ferarri now  :smiley:  it certainly gets some attention from people passing the garage.

PM for details

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:16:33 pm »
Looks good there guys, is this going to be a permanent partnership then?  Should try the valetpro orange pre-wash theres some good writeups on it almost a touch less wash be good for the ferrari up there. might help prolong the finish.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »
Awesome pics. Love the Ferrari!  :driver:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
Looks good there guys, is this going to be a permanent partnership then?  Should try the valetpro orange pre-wash theres some good writeups on it almost a touch less wash be good for the ferrari up there. might help prolong the finish.

It sure will be Keith, try and make a go of it. I'll come through the start of next month and get some new products off you mate  :happy2:

PM for details

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »

The excitement was obviously far too great :drool: :drool:

Offline useless

• Just Arrived