Make a donation

Author Topic: OK, so it's not a GTi, but..................  (Read 3399 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
OK, so it's not a GTi, but..................
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:22:49 am »
Guys,

Been looking for a replacement car for swmbo for a few months now without success (until now). She's not particularly fussy, it just had to be an 07-57 reg VW Golf GT Tdi preferably the 170, (my input) 5 door in red!!  Ok, so thats a little specfic but hey ho, what swmbo wants and all that.................. :innocent:

Anyway, I have found one going at Autoquake in London, its a good price all things considered, its a 57 reg, in red, 5 doors 170bhp  but it has just over 57,000 miles on the clock. Now I know in the grand seem this isn't a massive amount, but I was hoping for a bit less, mainly due to the running costs that may be increased by the higher miles, eg requirements for the cambelt waterpump to be replaced, etc.

So the questions are; when is it advisable to change the cambelt/water pump, I know for the petrol tfsi it is 50k or 4 years, also what are peoples experiences with the DPF?

Any other input would be appreciated.   :happy2:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
Re: OK, so it's not a GTi, but..................
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:46:03 am »
The cambelt change for the 2.0 Tdi is 100,000 miles in VW Service book (4 Cylinder TDI Injector PD Engines)  Which im quite suprised about, but thats what it says in the book!  My car is on 45,000 at the minute and i'd like to get mine done nearer the 80,000 mile mark to be safe.  It doesnt say anything in the service book about 4 years etc.

The DPF filter is checked & Tested at the 100,000 mile service   :surprised:

57,000 miles isnt alot for these diesel engines - i had an 05 reg MK5 2.0 tdi before my current one, and that had 80,000 miles on the clock and still felt as tight as a drum. Never had any problems with it.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:48:04 am by GTsport »

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:52:14 pm »
Thanks for that mate, what are your views on the 170 over the 140?

psw mk5

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 04:27:05 am »
Got the 170 myself superb in my opinion I've had dpf issues and exhaust pressure sensor issues but overall no big faults in day to day driving read alot before I bought about dpf pros and cons and took the gamble and I'm well happy with it remapped now to just over 200 ponies and plenty plenty torque now :driver:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 09:02:17 am »
From what I'm hearing it really is a gamble re: the DPF, whats the average cost of replacing it should things go wrong?
I also understand there can be problems with injectors?
I have posted the same question over on the Briskoda website and the responses tend to advise avoiding the 170, one member has included rolling road results from a couple of stock 140's, and they made between 160-165 on the day!  :surprised:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:22:18 am »
A very lot of money, best thing to do get it taken off and a replacement pipe put on then get it remapped,

I think the DPF is about £1500 :happy2:

Darren

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:57:28 am »
 :surprised: :scared:

Offline M44NTU-3.2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 12:31:35 pm »
im looking to get a mk5 tdi aswell, what is this dpf? so if you removed the dpf and this remap. is it a custom remap to tell the car theres no dpf? does it make the car faster lol, sorry for all the questions, not too clued up on diesel engines
MKV R32 DSG

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 12:37:15 pm »
im looking to get a mk5 tdi aswell, what is this dpf? so if you removed the dpf and this remap. is it a custom remap to tell the car theres no dpf? does it make the car faster lol, sorry for all the questions, not too clued up on diesel engines

No mate it does not make the car faster,  its a Diesel Particulate Filter and it heats to high temps when it needs to to 'burn off' the cr@p and renew itself.
Thats about a simply as I can put it mate.  Issues with them I dont know about, sorry.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline M44NTU-3.2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 12:45:11 pm »

No mate it does not make the car faster,  its a Diesel Particulate Filter and it heats to high temps when it needs to to 'burn off' the cr@p and renew itself.
Thats about a simply as I can put it mate.  Issues with them I dont know about, sorry.

yep thanks for that, just did a bit of googling and found out quite a bit, people tend to get it removed and remaped, not had issues with it, then again some people have had a normal car with dpf and no issues, its coming down to driving style, etc, from what ive read
MKV R32 DSG

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 12:50:14 pm »
Correct, .....driving style is important.   Mixed driving and all should be fine, but if your just a town pootler, forget it. 

You can clear it (dpf light/issues) by running on the motorway in a lower gear for a good while ive heared.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline M44NTU-3.2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
yep read that too, if the dpf light comes on just itself it wont store a fault just telling you to go for a longer drive, it has to come on with 2 other lights, the coil and engine i think for there to be  a fault stored, im gonna get one for my second car, i do alot of miles a year so cant use my r32 it would kill me in fuel and plus i couldnt put her throught all them miles lol
MKV R32 DSG

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »
Got the 170 myself superb in my opinion I've had dpf issues and exhaust pressure sensor issues but overall no big faults in day to day driving read alot before I bought about dpf pros and cons and took the gamble and I'm well happy with it remapped now to just over 200 ponies and plenty plenty torque now :driver:

Do you have a DPF bypass pipe? If so which one and how much?

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:47:30 pm »
I think its also advisable if the DPF light is on, and its regenerating, not to leave the car in a garage or on your drive.  These things aparantly get so hot they can do damage to the floor etc. 

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »
i have a gttdi remapped,the 170 versions are a dood car as long as you don't do short journeys