Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Nearly Fell Out!  (Read 26540 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Engine Nearly Fell Out!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:45:44 pm »
The kit doesn't include new bolts -

The information is contained within the factory repair manual, the dealers will have it.  It seems quite simple to me, either way they are responsible.  No bolts is a fcuk up and replaced bolts carry a warranty as does their workmanship.

Replacement parts warranty
All Volkswagen Original replacement parts carry a warranty for a period of 2 years/unlimited mileage, from the date of purchase. Items with warranties in excess of 2 years will be advised to you at the time of purchase. The 2 year warranty does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty, which are warranted for the remaining period of the vehicle warranty

Volkswagen Authorised Network workmanship warranty
Members of the Volkswagen Authorised Network give a warranty for their workmanship on all repairs and servicing. The warranty on repairs is 1 year/12,000 miles from the date of the work, whichever occurs first. Should any repairs be required in that period on work carried out by a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network, the original Repairer will carry out such repairs free of charge, provided:
Repairs are required as a direct result of faulty workmanship by that member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network.
Repairs are not required due to normal wear and tear or other exclusions. Items replaced under the terms of this warranty become the property of the Volkswagen Authorised Network. A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network may choose to pay for work under this warranty to be carried out by another member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/factory/terms
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 09:51:52 pm »
Thanks for the info. I don't suppose you have an extract from said manual that quotes the replacement of the engine mounting bolts near the cam belt?
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:57:38 pm »
That diagram is the engine mount next to the Cam Belt.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 10:12:20 pm »
That diagram is the engine mount next to the Cam Belt.

Sorry, wasn't being very clear. Dowloaded the diagram but was wondering if there is any text to go with it that says these bolts should be renewed when the cam belt is done.

Thanks
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 10:16:00 pm »
No there isn't any text mate.

Like I said it's open and shut, if they replaced the bolts and they failed the bolts would warranted.  If they didn't replace the bolts then they fcuked up.

Get yourself into the dealers, ask to speak to the Dealer Principle and suggest he has the Service Manager in attendance when you speak to him.  This should be a face to face job, see the pain in their eyes.  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:32 pm »
Had to leave this one for a little bit due to other stuff going on. I have now requested that the service manager call me to discuss the cam belt change last year.

Hopefully there will be a good outcome. If there is any further info you can provide about the engine mounting bolts having to be replaced that would really help my case.

Thanks again

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »
I bought a BMW in 1995, long story but the same thing happend to me. Turns out the previous owner had hit a horse, the horse landed bang on the bonnet and the car rebuilt.

I knew it was a previous insurance job (hey I was young! you live and learn ok).

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 01:47:18 pm »
This has happened to me mate on my vectra, sadly for me I was on the motorway when it started, didnt have a clue what was going on, managed to get it to work. A guy I know there is a mechanic, he said same as what you were told. My cam belt, fan belt and starter motor had been changed recently so the guy had the engine off then and didnt fix bolts on properly. Anyway I bought a new couple of bolts for about 3 pounds and they guy fit them on for next to nothing. scary S*** when that happens so I know how you feel mate. At least its all sorted.

Offline tommy_a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »
the engine in my previous 106 track car fell out twice whilst i was out and about !!  :ashamed:  i just pulled over, lifted it back into place, rebolted it and off i went !! the joys of peugeot ownership !! :D  i really cant see it being the same deal with a VAG car !!  :laugh:
R32

Saint Steve

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »
My Fiat 127's engine fell out when i shot off a hump back rail bridge, i knew something was up, cus the gear stick disapeared through the leather gaitor :laugh:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 05:19:43 pm »
 :signLOL: :signLOL:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 07:14:31 pm »
My Fiat 127's engine fell out when i shot off a hump back rail bridge, i knew something was up, cus the gear stick disapeared through the leather gaitor :laugh:
PMSL  :happy2:
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:15 am »
Hey Guys, haven't posted in ages but VRSTU was correct! The gits never changed the engine mounting bolts when the cam belt was done. The stealer admitted fault, full refund thanks to this forum. They checked the workshop manual, confirmed the step was required and it turns out the parts were never booked out, so they say.

Thanks to everyone who posted  :happy2:

mbjackson55

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted on this topic. I have just had the same failure on my GTI, and the VW garage were going to charge £1000+ to repair it. Having challenged them based on the information here they have accepted resposibily on the basis tha the bolts were not replaced after the cam belt change. Cheers.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted on this topic. I have just had the same failure on my GTI, and the VW garage were going to charge £1000+ to repair it. Having challenged them based on the information here they have accepted resposibily on the basis tha the bolts were not replaced after the cam belt change. Cheers.

Result, well done.  :happy2: