Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Nearly Fell Out!  (Read 26546 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Engine Nearly Fell Out!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 10:29:49 pm »
Nice one.

Sadly I'm sure for every success there are others who are robbed.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 10:39:17 pm »
Strange that you should post this today as the exact same thing happened to me a fortnight ago. My car had the cambelt done recently too.

Luckily for me, the garage where I had the cambelt done were very honest and admitted that they'd struggled with the bolts when doing the cambelt so they may have contributed to the problem. As such they met me half way with the cost of repairs.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 11:31:02 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted on this topic. I have just had the same failure on my GTI, and the VW garage were going to charge £1000+ to repair it. Having challenged them based on the information here they have accepted resposibily on the basis tha the bolts were not replaced after the cam belt change. Cheers.

Fantastic. Was worth registering to post that. Amazes me what dealers think they can get away with to save a few pennies, that ends up costing them dearly in the long run. And they still charge extortionate labour rates to boot as well. My car is not going near the dealer for anything other than warranty work. I dont care about the stamp in the book.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 01:02:44 pm »
This isn't one of the bolts is it? MAT ED30 and I found it sitting on a ledge when we were changing my DV.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »
Lol, no.  They need to be much bigger and stronger than that.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 01:10:10 pm »
That bolt was a big one I was unsure of how it got in the place it was   :confused:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 02:07:14 pm »
Lol, no.  They need to be much bigger and stronger than that.

Haha, thank god. It's only about an inch long, but like Mat says, strange that we found it.

Offline Cadders96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 10:34:15 am »
I know this is an old thread, but my engine mount bolt sheared and therefore my engine was falling down the side. Only owned the car since March this year. I noticed the engine sounded rough and whistling little bit. Saw a friend who's dad used to be a mechanic at Honda and he noticed the engine was lopsided and the engine mount wasn't straight. Took it to a local garage the next day, they said the engine mount bolt has sheared so left it with them as I had to go away for training for work. But the amount of stuff that had to be replaced was extreme, pipes got damaged due to engine falling on to it, cambelt nearly broke and 50% of the teeth on the belt were gone, new engine mount, new bolts. The garage phoned through garages who had done services to see if they had done the cambelt change for my car. They phoned up the most recent service when not under my ownership and the garage said they had replaced the Cambelt and the Water pump. When my garage had taken the engine out and took of the engine mount, the bolt was sheared and the bolts were greased up most likely to help screw it in. The service was done August 2015 by a garage in West Midlands somewhere. Trying to see if there is anything that can be done? I have been invoiced over £600 not got the official figure yet.

*Edit: Garage was SMF Europarts LTD at 30 Two Gates Ln, Halesowen B63 2LJ. I would advise people not to go here for a Cambelt change or you might have the same consequence that I had.*
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:30:03 pm by Cadders96 »

VW Golf GTI Mk5 3 door
18" Monzas
Tinted Windows
Powervalve WRC Sports Cat-Back Exhaust with Decat Downpie 3" (Ebay Special)
Climair Wind Deflectors
HID Foglights
GFB DV+
Pre-Cat Delete

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:01 pm »
Blimey, not good!

So is this literally down to people not replacing the bolts when they do cambelt or engine mount replacement jobs?  Are they stretch bolts from the factory?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Cadders96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »
Yes think that is the case. Yes think they are stretch bolts from factory.

VW Golf GTI Mk5 3 door
18" Monzas
Tinted Windows
Powervalve WRC Sports Cat-Back Exhaust with Decat Downpie 3" (Ebay Special)
Climair Wind Deflectors
HID Foglights
GFB DV+
Pre-Cat Delete

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 02:11:25 pm »
Worst nightmare that is. At least I know where NOT to go. Thanks

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 06:36:34 pm »
I think I'm correct in saying that any stretch bolt (one that has an angle spec. for torque) should only be used once. Once they've been stretched, you can't torque them accurately again. It really annoys me that bolts that need to be replaced aren't always included in the kit of parts you buy. :stupid: