Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Nearly Fell Out!  (Read 26547 times)

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Engine Nearly Fell Out!
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:47:23 pm »
So I was on my way home from work Tuesday night and was nearly home, just had to stop into the petrol station to fill up. Pulled out of a T junction and went to accelerate in first and was greeted by a loud bang from the engine bay, the kind of bang similar to going over a bad pot hole.

Within a few hundred yards the car started to sound like a tractor! I pulled into the petrol station checked the car over and couldn't see anything wrong from the outside or inside the bonnet. As I was just round the corner from home I carried on. The car had little power and there was a lot of vibration from under the pedals.
The following morning I took the car down to local VW dealer and got them to check it over. The technician came back to give me the diagnosis and what he told me left me stunned.

The left hand engine mounting bolt had snapped clean off and the engine was hanging down on the left side (when facing the front bumper), thus causing everything to be out of sink, hence the horrible noise and lack of power. He told me they needed a further hour or so to strip down the engine bay further to reach the area to see if bolt could be backed out of the engine block, lucky it had not snapped clean off damaging the block, otherwise new engine!!  :surprised:
I went down to the workshop and the technician showed me the area where the bolt had clearly snapped and with the engine cover off you could see the engine was lop sided.

At this point I was a bit pissed off, a car that has covered 30K and under 5 years old. Not something you expect, maybe something that has covered 200K but still, poor build quality VW!!! The workshop manager then came over to offer reassurance and told me not to worry. I asked him if they had ever seen this before as I was horrified and apparently on MK5 Golf TDI’s the same has happened.

I managed to get a lift to work from my boss as they were out of courtesy cars. Got a call later in the day and they were able to back the bolt out and there was not damage to the engine, I had been lucky apparently.

To cut a long story short, the cost of the repair should have been £600 apparently (mainly due to the labour in striping down the engine) of which I refused to pay. In the end the garage made a contribution and said they would claim some back from VW, so a bill of £140 in the end. Now I have to say dealer couldn’t have done more (except maybe may for the lot) and the tech guy who has worked on my car before did a great job, car is running better than before lol. Just relieve the engine was not knackered.

However, maybe I am being naive but to me this is totally crap build quality, has anyone had similar experience?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:09:51 pm by Ands GTi »
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Engine Nearly Fell Out!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:55:25 pm »
i have on a 2004 1.2 corsa lol, pulled out of a junction snapped the engine mount, jammed the gear box broke the gear box and basicly f*cked the hole car, was still under warenty at the time :)

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »
Shocking,

Not always about miles though... who knows what the previous owner could have done...
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline mattypgolf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 08:59:10 pm »
Snapped an engine mount on my mk4 golf, happened going down my drivway,, good job it wasnt at high speed!!!
TR dsg, stage 1 r-tec map, bbs ch in gloss black, black roof and badges, colour coded, neuspeed hybrid intake, cat back exhaust..

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:34 pm »
Shocking,

Not always about miles though... who knows what the previous owner could have done...

If the car had been modified then maybe. But its bog standard. I got when it had done 8K, serviced religiously then and since. But as you say you never know. Still think it sucks.  :fighting:

MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:16:40 pm »
Blimey - I suggest that you consider replacing the opposite side mount, as this must have been under considerable load on the trip to VW.

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »
Has it had cambelt done recently as the mount comes off for it and they might not have nipped it enough and the vibration from the engine on the bolt not being tight could have snapped it!!! Iv had it before on a Vw caddy but the gearbox mount.
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:36:01 pm »
Blimey - I suggest that you consider replacing the opposite side mount, as this must have been under considerable load on the trip to VW.

Well on the invoice it says:

Inspected vechicle, found engine mount bolt had snapped off. Replaced all 3 bolts and tested OK.

x2 WN 906 283 03 023659/Screw
x1 WN 905 970 05 023660/Bolt

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:39:56 pm »
Has it had cambelt done recently as the mount comes off for it and they might not have nipped it enough and the vibration from the engine on the bolt not being tight could have snapped it!!! Iv had it before on a Vw caddy but the gearbox mount.

Mmm thats interesting. The cam belt was done May 2010, so maybe there is something in that.

Offline dru

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:03 pm »
two bolts snapped on my mk4 gttdi wreg 80.000 mls

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:18 pm »

Mmm thats interesting. The cam belt was done May 2010, so maybe there is something in that.

Well I'd say you can be pretty sure that's the cause. Maybe you could ring the people who did it and see about them paying the rest. You might be lucky  :happy2:
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »

Well I'd say you can be pretty sure that's the cause. Maybe you could ring the people who did it and see about them paying the rest. You might be lucky  :happy2:
I know who did, it was the same dealer. Ive owned the car a couple of years and took it to them last year to have the cam belt done.

Gutted if it was their fault, the tech did mention the cam belt but said the bolt was secure to the block. Maybe I should pay a trip back to the dealer?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:09 pm »
I've said this a few times before that the bolts should be replaced following a cambelt change.  I know there was some debate with T_T and he insisted it's not the case but the manual does advise them to be changed.

If you weren't invoiced for new bolts and they weren't fitted then actually they've fcuked up.  If they were new bolts then they have failed  they will carry a 12 month warranty as does all work carried out by your VW dealer.

You've been had mate  :fighting: :fighting:

Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 09:45:25 am »
That made for some horrid reading. I imagine the experience was a lot worse. Still, the important thing's that you're safe and sound.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 09:29:29 pm »
I've said this a few times before that the bolts should be replaced following a cambelt change.  I know there was some debate with T_T and he insisted it's not the case but the manual does advise them to be changed.

If you weren't invoiced for new bolts and they weren't fitted then actually they've fcuked up.  If they were new bolts then they have failed  they will carry a 12 month warranty as does all work carried out by your VW dealer.

You've been had mate  :fighting: :fighting:

There were no bolts specified on the cambelt invoice but there is the below. Are the bolts included in the kit? If not do you have a copy of the manual you mention?

W06F 198 119 A- REPAIR KIT

The only other thing is the Water pump.