Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie looking at possible Stage 1  (Read 3603 times)

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Newbie looking at possible Stage 1
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »
Right, picked up my GTi yesterday and I'm thinking on trying the 5 day trial of the REVO software.

Supposedly stage 1 are for standard cars so could I go for that without any other mods?

Read about new DV's whatever they are but all this scrambles the mind.

Found that Fontains in Iver (Bucks) is a dealer so would go to them I think - anyone used them or know a good recommended dealer around west london, bucks area?

Thanks for helping an idiot :)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Newbie looking at possible Stage 1
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »
I'd honestly say just drive the car for a little while to get a feel of it. You can go stage 1 without any other mods but remember to notify your insurers. There will be a hike in the premiums depending on the insurer. Mine charged me £50 for the jump.

Remember that a remap may highlight weaknesses in the system. You may find that there's a problem because it was coping well under standard conditions but with a remap, it's pushed to breaking point so you may need to factor covering the costs of any such work into your calculations.

The diverter valve (there are a zillion threads on this) is one of the commonest things to go - sometimes a remap isn't necessary to ruin it. The older valves were diaphragm type and tore over time, causing a loss in boost and power. The newer type is piston action so more reliable. Would recommend this is replaced to the latest revision (d)  with the remap.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline bart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:21:49 pm »
would i have a revise dv in my car

its an ed 30 57 plate?
Tornado red ed 30,dsg,rcd 510,milltek de cat tbe,walk kit,kw v3,revo stage 2+,dsg stage 2+,hpfp,itg cai

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:02:07 pm »
Its a 5 hour trial, not 5 days  :wink:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:06:31 pm »
would i have a revise dv in my car

its an ed 30 57 plate?
No. I have the same car and plate.

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:21:45 pm »
Its a 5 hour trial, not 5 days  :wink:
:signLOL: not alot of difference
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Andy01

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »
From where you are mate it's probably worth going to TTs Roadsport (tt shop) just off junction 13 Bedford on the M1 - really good guys there !

revo stage 1/pipercross panel filter/vwr springs/o.z superturismos

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »
Dunno if it helps your decision making. But I was pondering a similar decision a couple of months ago.
I was thinking of a remap on my 2007 Edition 30 which I've had since March 07. So after a lot of reading on this forum and numerous calls and advice from my local REVO dealer, (cheers Dave @ PDT), the car went in for a Stage 1 remap in conjunction with the fitting of an Autotech HFFP at PDT.
Decided against the 5 hour trial and just went Stg1 off the bat.
Post remap I really wanted a car with no fuelling issues or flat spots and I understand the high flow pump is a pretty essential to help even at Stage 1.
After having it fitted and due to other things going on I only had chance to ring a couple of insurance quotes. My then current insurer was not able to continue my cover due to the remap mod, so I'm now on a modded policy, which probably isn't the cheapest "modded policy" in the world.
So after the cost of the remap (fortunately at the December offer price at the time), fuel pump and insurance (up from £369 to £850) it cost me a fair bit. I am also well aware that the brakes will need to be improved soon as the car has gone over 300hp.

So was it worth it? No question at all it's worth every penny. It feels like a new car and would recommend to any Ed30 owners. Although after reading this forum, I thought my car was one of the few that hadn't already been remapped.
My other half describes it as brutal when she drives it. And it constantly makes me smile when driving it, the pick up in any gear and any revs is very impressive when compared to standard tune.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on which is best in terms of remap software you choose. I only went for Revo as it's cheaper to then upgrade if you want to go further stage etc. Which is what I plan..at some point.
As far as I can see the only slight downside is the hit on the insurance, but as stated the positives far far outweigh and minus points.

As someone on here wrote remapping the Ed30 makes it the car it should have been when it originally left the factory.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:48:19 pm »
My insurance will be another 20%(£120) with remap when the time comes...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:00:18 pm »
Well, took the plunge and got the 5 hour trial.....

First impression is impressive, lot more poke in 2nd and 3rd....not really played yet.

Problem is insurance is being awkward but we'll see what happens there - might have to wait till renewal and go elsewhere.

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:57:43 pm »
Best 400 odd quid ive spent in a long time. Worth every penny for the  :smiley: it puts on your face. Been running Stage 1 for about a year and had no problems at all. Ditto Andy re TT Shop speak to Justin. Revo regularly have special offers on I got free SPS+ switch when I did mine.

Black GTI K03 Revo Stage 2+,

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:54:57 pm »
Stealth wolf what kind of weaknesses are you talking about?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:14:11 pm »
Got your PM Homer.

It was partly a generic catch-all phrase, and partly based on reality. I cooked my clutch on stage 1. There have been stories of other people having problems which only came to light after remapping. Have a look around. Generally speaking, Stage 1 will be the safest of any maps since you're pushing the engine harder but not by much. Others have gone to Stage 2+, discovered there's something causing a problem and not being able to get to the bottom of it despite spending a fair few bob.

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 05:27:22 pm »
Would you say the clutch was due to the remap or do you think it would have went anyway? The problems that cant be identiied at stage 2 you mentioned would they go away if car was set to stock do you think? Sorry for all my questions but have just bought the car and not done anything like this before so am worried I will ruin it.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »
On an ED30, the clutch is known to be inadequate for going above Stage 1, and certainly a few people have had issues at stage 1 with the clutch. Some have gone the route of a helix/sachs clutch upgrade.