Make a donation

Author Topic: Disassemble Xenon Headlamp  (Read 4117 times)

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
Disassemble Xenon Headlamp
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:13:31 am »
After much deliberation I have finally got a set of xenon headlamps. They are complete with ballasts etc. The only thing is, during transit it seems one of the rings has detached itself. Nothing is broke from what I can see.

Like this:

Does anyone know how I can break into the lamp and put this right? I thought that I may have two options, either go in from the back screw off cap, but I will need to remove something to get through to the front. Or take the clips off that hold the plastic front and then go in that way removing the screws as I go???

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Disassemble Xenon Headlamp
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25:27 am »
I have never tried it but i don't think there is a way of screwing the back of, usually with modern plastic lights the front is glued to the back so gaining entry involves a very sharp knife and a Hairdryer, not something i would be keen on, like i say though i have no experience of this, where did you buy ?, perhaps they were like this before ?, ask for money back , if from eBay do a claim ?

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:48:33 am »
I sprayed some headlight inserts on my GF's ST and I needed to wap them in the oven, on a pretty low but warm heat keep popping them in and out and then the glue will soften, then once done pop them back in, let it warm back up and stick them back together, you may also need to add some silicone to be extra sure they have sealed properly.

It was scary putting them in there but fine if you keep a proper eye on them at every second they are in there!
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:25 am »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:40:50 am »
I wouldn't mess around with opening them mate.

Speak to the seller/royal mail and get it replaced ;)

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »
I have let the seller know but I suspect as I bought them from a breaker I have little come back. I also don't know if the postage was insured :scared:

I have to say that nothing looks broken and if I can get in via the bulb holder from the back I might be able to put it back on. I just have to get past the projector lens.

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:52:51 pm »
Is there no way of making a hook with like a coat hanger to pull it back with maybe? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fqs48uhofh3ps3rh961gj13il7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 01:01:45 pm »
This is what i used to pull my surround back on

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 01:16:25 pm »

That's just what I was thinking! How did you get past the projector lens? I thought you may be able to unscrew the metal bulb holder and cage that holds the lens and somehow twist this out so you can re attach the ring.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fqs48uhofh3ps3rh961gj13il7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:05 pm »
Well, mine had only come off a little bit so i was able to put this hook around the lens without taking it off!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:43:23 pm »

That's just what I was thinking! How did you get past the projector lens? I thought you may be able to unscrew the metal bulb holder and cage that holds the lens and somehow twist this out so you can re attach the ring.

That looks lethal Rich :grin: but exactly what I was thinking maybe do 2 of them and get it from each side?

Darren

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 06:40:43 pm »
This is a picture of the back of the light and there seems to be little access without removing the cage that holds the bulb and lens.

h4rdy

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:11:53 am »
I have let the seller know but I suspect as I bought them from a breaker I have little come back. I also don't know if the postage was insured :scared:

I have to say that nothing looks broken and if I can get in via the bulb holder from the back I might be able to put it back on. I just have to get past the projector lens.

Distance selling regs he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Contact your credit card company.

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 07:50:05 pm »
I decided that I was going to give it a go from the inside and after a little bit of surgery.......success   :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

If anyone has this issue then these are the steps I took:

Firstly remove the the bulb and ignitor and holder which should leave you with the below. Then proceed to remove the four T25 screws highlighted (don't drop them)

Remove the wiring connector that is attached to the small circuit board. Then remove the cage by pulling towards you and carefully twisting to avoid the other components (its one piece). It will look like this.

Now that the lens and cage is out you should be able to put your whole hand into the light and pull the ring back on. Note there is a right and a wrong way (the thick bit is at the bottom - compare against your other light). Careful of the little tabs. I wore gloves to make sure no fingerprints appeared on the lens from the inside.

After resolving the issue I plastic welded one of the clips to stop it coming loose. Be careful to make this neat though, as you will see it from outside.

Reassemble and the job is done. :happy2:

Now to find the rest of the bits for my retro fit :party: Thanks to all for the advice.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:51:57 pm by bodger00 »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 07:52:42 pm »
Good job!  :congrats:

What else do you need?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:55:54 pm by richwig83 »