Make a donation

Author Topic: Diesel Equivalent to ED30 Anyone?  (Read 11179 times)

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
Re: Diesel Equivalent to ED30 Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 03:29:43 pm »
I get 40mpg driving a mix of urban and A roads with a heavy foot, up to 50's on the Mway. If desiel cost twice the price as petrol then you would not save money but as its only a few pence more, plus road tax is £125 and insurance is cheaper then it will be a lot cheaper.  I was getting 25mpg from my Boxster and once I remap the golf the power will be roughly the same but i'll still get good mpg.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 03:39:31 pm »
There was a build thread on one of the forums (think it may have been SCN) with an A3 2.0TDI quattro.  he'd gone the full hog with his stage 3 tuning.

i personally think if your going to go that far with a TDI you need AWD to put all that torque to the ground

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »
But your talking a 3.0 diesel Garth, which in respect most are talking going to an equivalent size diesel i.e golf 2.0gt.  Personally I can get around 55mpg on decent run and have even got upto 60mpg with the wife driving steady.

At some stage this year I will be giving the car to Paul @ RS Tuning,  will be going possibly has much has it will go without it blowing up. But I also have a chance this week of picking a 170pd engine up cheapish so may play with that :party:

Looks wise I have it close but also didn't want to go full GTI Eddy30 so put the GT sport grilles on.

Darren

Offline JLCoad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »
Morty is right. My ed 30 averages around 25mpg, so a diesel car averaging 40 - 50mpg even with the increased price in fuel is a definite saving.

Having said that though if i dont get a decent offer for the ed30 i will be keeping it and i will be very happy about it, top car.

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »
I'm kind of the opposite at the minute, i'm barely doing any miles now so fancy getting rid of the diesel and getting a GTI.

Talking about Stage 3 tuning is ok if your prepaed to chuck a load of money into it where as a decent remap on a GTI will see you not too far off Stage 3 TDI hp figures (obviously not as much torque) for a lot less money. The saving you would make by just paying for a map over buying the full set up to go Stage 3 on a diesel would fund your fuel costs for a quite a while depending on your milage.

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »
even fast diesels are boring to drive

:stupid:
i hate this argument, sorry mate, they are!!! you buy a diesel to save money, which is why i said i would get one next, but yeah boring to drive, torque and thats it, foot down, nowt happens then you get too much torque for a split second then its time to change up, no feel, end off.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 05:40:17 pm »

i hate this argument, sorry mate, they are!!! you buy a diesel to save money, which is why i said i would get one next, but yeah boring to drive, torque and thats it, foot down, nowt happens then you get too much torque for a split second then its time to change up, no feel, end off.

This is entirely why I miss my Focus ST although for the moment the amount of miles I do Ill stick with the diesel until we see signs of the fuel costs stabilising, If they do

Darren

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
There was a build thread on one of the forums (think it may have been SCN) with an A3 2.0TDI quattro.  he'd gone the full hog with his stage 3 tuning.

Devon Mikey Boy although I believe he circulates under various guises on different fora.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 07:33:00 pm »
I've had an A3 TDI and a MKV GTTDI in the past and both were very good on diesel as you would expect. Both of them were 140PD's (the 170 wasn't out in 2004!) and with a map were both around the 185-195bhp mark with plenty of torque. What made them better was that they came with this new fangled thing called a DSG gearbox :laugh: The DSG is very good at dropping the soot chucker into the power/torque band and with virtually no gap in power loss between shifts it was always on song when you wanted it to be :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 07:42:38 pm »
I am off to set up mk5golfgttdi.co.uk

:grin: :grin:

Where do I sign up?  :happy2:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »

I have to disagree with you there. If you haven't ever done so have a drive something like a 535D or A4 3.0TDi.

I have a 270bhp / 290lb/ft Octavia vRS (same engine as GTi) i also have a 140PD Octavia with DSG which has a Shark Map on it. I can entertain myself just as much in both cars.

Yes the vRS is faster but going fast isn't the be all and end all of an entertaining drive. As long as you can keep either engine within the power band (which i agree is easier in a petrol) then both types of engine are good.

One of my Bosses has a mapped 535D and that thing is quick and i mean seriously quick. Yes not Stage 2 onwards ED30 quick but he can keep with me in a straight line up to around 100mph and on twisty roads i have to put a bit of effort in to pull out a decent lead.

The way to look at it is a Fast diseasel gives you about 85% enjoyment of a Petrol for about 60% of the fuel costs.

Just my tuppence  :drinking:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:33 pm »
My dads got a 535d and its a pretty staggering engine!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 08:50:30 pm »
My dads got a 535d and its a pretty staggering engine!

Tell him to get it mapped if he hasn't already. Fcuk me they fly when done  :driver: :driver:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 08:51:33 pm »

I have to disagree with you there. If you haven't ever done so have a drive something like a 535D or A4 3.0TDi.

I have a 270bhp / 290lb/ft Octavia vRS (same engine as GTi) i also have a 140PD Octavia with DSG which has a Shark Map on it. I can entertain myself just as much in both cars.

Yes the vRS is faster but going fast isn't the be all and end all of an entertaining drive. As long as you can keep either engine within the power band (which i agree is easier in a petrol) then both types of engine are good.

One of my Bosses has a mapped 535D and that thing is quick and i mean seriously quick. Yes not Stage 2 onwards ED30 quick but he can keep with me in a straight line up to around 100mph and on twisty roads i have to put a bit of effort in to pull out a decent lead.

The way to look at it is a Fast diseasel gives you about 85% enjoyment of a Petrol for about 60% of the fuel costs.

Just my tuppence  :drinking:

I think you should keep that information to yourself!  :laugh:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 08:52:36 pm »
Trust me, i know how good the DMS map is for them! Ive had three different cars done (same engine, but in X5's etc) by them now and its monstrous!

One of the X5's we had done was done as part of their development of the map. I spent a day with them and it was awesome!