Make a donation

Author Topic: Kerbing alloys  (Read 6626 times)

Offline mhurley

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • 5 door 55 plate metallic grey
Kerbing alloys
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:05:29 pm »
Hi I'm the proud owner of a 55plate GTI, problem is I keep kerbing the alloys. Everytime I walk round the car I keep finding new scratches!
I was wondering apart from trying to be careful are there any tyres which have more of a pronounced side wall so the tyre hits the kerb before the wheel does? The car currently sits on Mohawk tyres which i assume are a cheap make. It has the standard 17 inch Monza alloys

Thanks

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Kerbing alloys
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »
Sounds like you could do with some of these - http://www.alloygator.com/

Also, in a performance car such as the GTI, I can not express how important it is to have a good set of boots. They totally transform the car into something else. Do a search as there are plenty of threads on tyres. My personal favourites are Goodyear Eagle F1s but Michelin PS2/3 are also good. Take a read at some of the threads.

Offline Gazzgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:25:48 pm »
http://www.alloygator.com/
+ 1
Got them on mine and have saved more then the cost twice over on refurbs can post some pictures fitted to monza 2s if needed.

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:44:53 pm »
Wow I could do with a set of these - I've never come across them before.

I just watched the fitting video, do they sit on the rim between the tyre and the rim with the tyre wall holding it place?

Offline Gazzgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »
Thats correct mate :happy2:

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:29:54 pm »
+ 1
Got them on mine and have saved more then the cost twice over on refurbs can post some pictures fitted to monza 2s if needed.

Never heard of these before either.  Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of them on some Monza 2's if you don't mind.  I managed to kerb one of mine on Sunday  :sad1:

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »
I've never seen these before either, wonder what they look like though once on the wheel.

Done a bit of kerb crawling the other day for the first time in this car (it was dark  :ashamed:), was gutted.

If only I had these alloygator thingys...  :signLOL:

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:01:49 pm »
I really want them now, I park against a kerb everyday and I have two small kerb marks now.

I'm just not convinced about them sitting between the tyre bead and the rim to be honest but guess there must be plenty of people running them with no problems

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:13:44 pm »
+ 1

Never heard of these before either.  Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of them on some Monza 2's if you don't mind.  I managed to kerb one of mine on Sunday  :sad1:

:worthless:

:signLOL:
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 09:17:58 pm »
just dont park so close to kerbs :confused:

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »
Scraped my wheel by misjudging a bend in a multi storey car park.  Haven't actually kerbed a wheel by parking.... yet!

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:13:59 pm »
fair play there mate.... had a few hairy moments on the local mutli storey car park....

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:53:14 pm »
i have a set of these but not fitted yet because may as well do as same time as putting fresh rubber on, otherwise you will only have to take them off and get some spare bits and bobs from alloygator to fit to your new rubber.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »
I have had my GTI Pirelli edition for just over a month now and already three of the wheels are kerbed. Two are tiny little scuffs that aren't so bad but one is TERRIBLE. I am responsible for two but my old man did the third.

With these 18 inchers, p-zero tyres, there is simply no room for error at all - touch the kerb and they're f*cked. I told my dad this and yet he insisted on trying to use the tyre to lightly 'feel' the edge of the kerb and buggered it.

Again, on mine, there is simply no leeway at all for miscalculation and extremely tight, lightly touching the kerb, parking.

I just always make sure I dip the mirror (wish I had lux pack) and leave at least an inch. Sometimes I stick out but I can't take the risk. Gonna get the wheels refurbed as soon as I've learnt how to park without ever touching the kerb (used to have a car that you could squish the tyre right up against it and it still didn't mark the wheel).

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:12 pm »
Its a horrible feeling curbing a wheel.

I dont have to park against the curb at home but if I do I always pull up with plenty of space between me and the curb and then reverse back into the curb, much less chance of curbing the wheel then.

No good if you need to squeeze into a space but then again Im too lazy to reverse park so always look for a large gap! :grin:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators