Make a donation

Author Topic: Broken fuel flap  (Read 4492 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Broken fuel flap
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »
Anyone else had a similar problem? Was at the petrol pump today, and filled up the Golf. Opened the filler flap as normal using the interior switch. Then after filling up and closing the filler cap the filler flap wouldn't close; I pushed it shut and it just rebounded off. Had a close look at the mechanism, which is not something I've ever looked at before. Looked like the metal tab needed to rise up over the tab on the inside of the flap but was too low. Tried closing it slowly, it closed this time but now it won't open  :scared: there's no give on it at all. I can hear the mechanism work when I pull the interior switch but it won't open! Tried wiggling and there's no movement at all.

Anyone had any issue like this? Or does anyone know how to access the mechanism from inside the boot? Good news is I'm filled up for a while, but still quite annoying.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Broken fuel flap
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
Is there not an emergency cord in the boot behind the panel. I think i remember reading about it in the manual when i had our mk5.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »
Will have a look when I go out in a few mins  :happy2:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:55:14 pm »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:29 pm »
Managed to fix it. It wasn't the solenoid at all, that was actuating correctly. The little metal tab that is meant to lock the flap into place seemed to be malformed and was not moving. After much wiggling and some gentle poking (ooer missus) managed to get it freed and the flap open. Funny thing was that after I got it open the metal tab seemed to form a shape such that the entire mechanism works again, though I don't trust it one bit.
Any chance someone could post a photo of an open fuel flap and specifically the locking mechanism? Just to see what shape the metal tab should be.