7 (8.5%)
Tried it, but dont have DSG- Love it IT
11 (13.4%)
Wish i had DSG instead
6 (7.3%)
Wish i had manual instead
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Whats the consensus on DSG on here  (Read 22535 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Whats the consensus on DSG on here
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 05:34:00 pm »
Nothing more sweet then getting that gear change just bang on in a corner and being able to have the cars engine and box do what you want non of this computer says no bollox  :P it's my car and I want this gear now not when you say I can  :booty:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2011, 05:47:20 pm »

Nothing more sweet then getting that gear change just bang on in a corner and being able to have the cars engine and box do what you want non of this computer says no bollox  :P it's my car and I want this gear now not when you say I can  :booty:

....What you have said certainly applies to using D and S in DSG but I'm now wondering whether in fact you have ever driven a DSG in Manual mode because the computer doesn't say no in that mode.  :surprised:  :confused:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 05:52:03 pm »
Have owned an audi with your engine and box in and it was not good at all even had an apr map on the car and it was still not the best. Dont get me wrong the box is quick on the paddles and it's quick at most things but god it was boring

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 05:54:01 pm »
Not quite, Robin. It will not let you downshift on command, only when it decides the rev range it will drop into is in its safe range.

Upshifting is amazing, especially remapped, downshifting is still annoying and compromised. I'd wager I can drop a manual from 6th to 3rd faster than it can kickdown/I could do it on the paddles too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:56:29 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 06:01:12 pm »

Have owned an audi with your engine and box in and it was not good at all even had an apr map on the car and it was still not the best. Dont get me wrong the box is quick on the paddles and it's quick at most things but god it was boring

....Nah, you said it: It was being an Audi that made it feel boring  :evilgrin:  :wink:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 06:07:02 pm »

Not quite, Robin. It will not let you downshift on command, only when it decides the rev range it will drop into is in its safe range.

Upshifting is amazing, especially remapped, downshifting is still annoying and compromised. I'd wager I can drop a manual from 6th to 3rd faster than it can kickdown/I could do it on the paddles too.

....I've never experienced a refusal to downshift in M - I guess I must be good at using a safe rev range. I do check my rev counter a lot (and use my ears).

Kickdown is now disabled on mine by Revo IIRC. Like cruise control, I've never felt the need to use it - A quick paddleshift or two is more reliable.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »
Back when I was looking into GTIs and the difference between manuals/DSGs (circa 2007), I read about a problem with the DSG in America. I can't recall the precise problem but in hindsight I wonder whether it was the mechatronics issue. Either way, the chap also had issues with VW trying to accept it.

Anyway, that was enough to put me off DSG and I stuck with manuals. Having said that, there are times when I wonder whether I would have enjoyed DSG. It certainly does appeal. When I sat in a mate's DSG ED30, the acceleration was sublime. No jerky car movements, no drop in rev note. Just pure smooth acceleration.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »
ive heard alot of people complain of the kick down.  if you only depress the throttle 90% it shouldnt activate the kick down switch.  from what i gather the kick down switch is just below the throttle pedal, so is activated when the pedal is floored.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »
Something im going to get an instructor to help with is left foot braking in the vRS, especially as theres no use for the left foot with DSG.  

Might even start left foot braking in everyday driving as well once ive got used to it.  It'll be second nature then

You can't it will disable the throttle. :wink:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »
it'll only disable if throttle if your on the throttle at the same time as the brake, which you shouldnt be really.  it just means that you can be a little quicker with the transition between braking/accelerating as you not using the same foot.

On the Mk5 TFSI shark performance had the Race map option which stopped the ECU  cutting in for left foot braking.  so maybe similar can be done with the DSG7?

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »
Nothing more sweet then getting that gear change just bang on in a corner and being able to have the cars engine and box do what you want non of this computer says no bollox  :P it's my car and I want this gear now not when you say I can  :booty:

:rollseyes: that's always given as an excuse. Well, in a Mk5, you're as far removed from the engine as you would be from the gearbox with DSG. The accelerator pedal doesn't pull a wire which opens an actual throttle. Instead a digital reference is taken which adjusts the air/fuel/throttle accordingly through a (yes, you guessed it) computer.

Personal preference is one thing - nothing wrong with a manual gearbox, I like a good one as much as anyone here - but don't give any of this "it gives me more control" as an excuse. If you want more control, get an (old) Caterham. Edit: You've got a bug, so disregard, but point still stands :P

/totally overblown response, and nothing personal, but that "computer in the way" argument bugs the life out of me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:28:30 pm by cmdrfire »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 06:39:35 pm »
^^^^^^
i think you have a good point.  

....cmdrfire usually does. He pisses excellence!  :notworthy: [bit of a geek really :evilgrin: ]

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »
Left foot braking.

Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »
Left foot braking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcSAiRxmm0w

....Excellent vid, Mike  :drinking:

The key to it seems to be training your left foot to be particularly gentle. Not easy, as the guy says.

[Was gonna click ya a <Thank You>, but no option in this section  :sad1: ]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:08:48 pm by RedRobin »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »
Left foot braking is good. Just be wary as the first few times you do it you will slam on so make sure no-one is behind you :laugh: