Make a donation

Author Topic: Abs grinding?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Abs grinding?
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:12:22 pm »
Today I did an emergency stop in my edition 30. Haven't done one since owning the car and interested in how quickly it would stop.

Anyway travelling at about 40mph I hit the brake pedal. At about 1/2 to 3/4 of the travel of the pedal it went rock solid. At roughly the same time it sounded as if the brakes where grinding(same noise as if there was no meat left on the brake pads)

I then drove around and did a few brake tests not emergency stops and all was normal.

What I'm asking is if the noise heard and the hard point of the pedal normal for abs as I've never driven with abs before and the sound was horrible, a metallic grinding/ knocking sound from the front end.
57 plate Tornado red 3dr manual edition 30

Nasir

Re: Abs grinding?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »
Completely normal, the grinding noise is the ABS pump working and the pedal vibrates or moves fast giving you feedback on the ABS working (so you're aware). The Mk5 also has HBA (hydraulic brake assist) so if you slam the brakes in an emergency the car knows this and 100% brake pressure is applied even if you only applied 90%.

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:44:01 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping that it was completely normal! Cheers!
57 plate Tornado red 3dr manual edition 30

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:21 pm »
You may also hear the same noise at times in the winter driving on snow or Ice.    The EDL system (Electronic Differential Lock), uses the ABS sensors to pulsate the brake momentarily at the spinning wheel, effectively transferring the torque through the open differential to the wheel with more traction.  :wink:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers