Make a donation

Author Topic: Part worn or new tyres?.  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Part worn or new tyres?.
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:33:40 pm »
First off i don't need any but what are you'r thoughts please ?. When i was younger & skint with yong kids etc i used these all the time on my mk2 GTI & never had a problem with any of them,reasons were i would rarther have a trusted brand part worn than some unknown brand for the same sort of money.
The garage i used were great & i could sort through & get the best ones.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
Re: Part worn or new tyres?.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:25 pm »
Tyres are your only contact point on the.road. IMO you should buy new and from a good brand.
I would not skimp on tyres.

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:14:29 pm »
Imo unless id known where they came from i.e a friend or some i knew then i wouldn't as they may have being curbed badly causing weakening to the sidewall or something like that... i just fitted two new verds today so thats my pocket money gone for this month  :sad1:

if i had a banger to drive about in then yea any old crap would do ha
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3kiat8929dvh107ragohurjf52&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »
I got a part worn tyre when i got a 16" full sized spare for my old car, but i dont think id run the risk of using them on my GTI day in day out.

Offline roamer1711

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:29:15 pm »
At a potential speed of 70 I would not trust a bit of kit with no history second hand. You pays your money and takes your chance.
Went in for a Landy came out with a GTI, mid life crysis? me :-)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
As in my first post don't need any as i have decent Vredestein fitted now.Just wondered what peoples thoughts were as there seem to be some honest garages/tyre fitters selling some decent rubber.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:32 pm »
I've dealt in part worn tyres so I'm pretty sure I know how it works. It's all down to the tyre, most tyres are old (usually 3+ years) so peak grip has gone and then they're worn down to around 4-5 mm if you're lucky. Not something for a performance car but for a runabout it would do the trick.

If you're lucky enough to get some decent part worn tyres, the price will reflect that as tyre garages know what it's worth. So you may aswell go for new ones as in the long run they do pay for themselves. Bottom line, not something for a GTI unless you're selling up.

Online Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:47 pm »
i still get customers in m garage who have fitted 2nd hand tyre with punctures that have been repaired on the side wall..
As Nasir said a 2nd hand tyre can be 3+ years old..Anew tyre has a shelf live of 4 years,if it hasn't sold in that time it gets holes drilled in the side wall and scrapped by us

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:04 pm »
I bought some used Dunlop Maxx from Mandy on here with 5 mm tread left. I bought them when there was a shortage of Goodyear-Dunlop asymmetric tyres. I have trusted her and so far so good. It's the first time I haven't bought tyres new. I don't plan to buy previously used tyres in the future though.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:59:17 pm »
ok, an extreme example but proves the point - would you buy a used condom? i know, i know, its minging to think about   :sick: but illustrates the point (i think)

Rich

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 11:03:11 pm »

ok, an extreme example but proves the point - would you buy a used condom? i know, i know, its minging to think about   :sick: but illustrates the point (i think)

Rich

....I understand and wholeheartedly agree with your point about tyres being your only contact with the road but I really can't see the used condom analogy. Perhaps you meant to ask if anyone would use the same condom twice?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 11:09:25 pm »

Rich

....I understand and wholeheartedly agree with your point about tyres being your only contact with the road but I really can't see the used condom analogy. Perhaps you meant to ask if anyone would use the same condom twice?

sorry, i was just trying to highlight the whole unknown history of the tyres, potential weakened areas through kerbing, age of the tyres etc etc. Perhaps the condom analagy wasnt the best one to use.. sorry, im just knackered!!

rich

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:11:58 pm »
^^^^
No need to apologise, Rich, your condom analogy was quite amusing.  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »
As long as the part worn has been thoroughly checked over by a professional and they have an idea about the history I don't see a problem. I'm sure i read about someone recently who fitted brand brand new tyres only for them to bulge on a long journey!!

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:43 pm »
ETTO but not for me im afraid.

Im very much a premium brand tyre buyer as well. Bought cheapo tyres in the past and ended up just binning them and buying the Goodyears that i should have bought in the first place!