Make a donation

Author Topic: Part worn or new tyres?.  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Part worn or new tyres?.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:52 am »
The op didn't ask about budget tyres, just part worn. I have 2 x virtually brand new Pirelli P-Zero Nero (around 7mm) on my car and they are superb and you would cry if I told you what I paid for them!!  :wink:

Surely its exactly the same as buying a set of second hand wheels with tyres on them. Would you throw the tyres away because they had been 'used'?  :stupid:

Nasir

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 12:49:26 am »
It's all down to the condition of the tyre which you can check yourself. The age can be checked with the DOT index and generally just by looking at the rubber (grey and hard with cracks  = avoid). But sometimes you may come across a bargain newer set.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 03:09:43 am »
The op didn't ask about budget tyres, just part worn. I have 2 x virtually brand new Pirelli P-Zero Nero (around 7mm) on my car and they are superb and you would cry if I told you what I paid for them!!  :wink:

Surely its exactly the same as buying a set of second hand wheels with tyres on them. Would you throw the tyres away because they had been 'used'?  :stupid:
........as before in my orginal post,thats why i used them on my mk2. I got on great with the tyre place owner & i could always pick the best & never had any problems with them. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:28:08 am »

Surely its exactly the same as buying a set of second hand wheels with tyres on them. Would you throw the tyres away because they had been 'used'? :stupid:

....I would scrap the tyres if they weren't premium brands suitable for the car or were imitations.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 09:45:31 am »

Surely its exactly the same as buying a set of second hand wheels with tyres on them. Would you throw the tyres away because they had been 'used'? :stupid:

....I would scrap the tyres if they weren't premium brands suitable for the car or were imitations.

Obviously........................

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 09:55:57 am »
If its a good quality tyre I don't see the issue.  It's pretty easy to inspect for any sidewall damage and easy to spot any repairs.  We've done it a couple of times on our mini with run flats and its turned out an absolute bargain both times.

Just recently purchased 2 part worn dunlop sp01 run flat tyres (17") for the mini (considered the best run flat tyres available so far).   7mm of tread, perfect condition, worn evenly.  Mytyres will deliver me 2 for £320 plus £30 to fit.  I paid £55 for both off an ebay buyer with 100% feedback on all tyre sales.   

Would I do it for the gti?  Probably not, but that is only because i can get goodyear f1 assymetrics for £74 fitted a corner (18") :smiley: so the savings will be quite small

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:49 am »
I would never buy part worn, my reasons are when I bought my Nissan skyline gtr in 2006 it had good quality bridgestone tyres all round loads of tread, but handled like it was on ice into round abouts and corners, would lose grip and control at quite low speeds, when I took them to be replaced the tyre fitter had a hell of a job taking them off the rim, he explained they had probably been on the car for years and the compound had gone and hard, put new tyres on and the car was transformed, if you do intend buying some be sure you know how old they are and how long the have been in storage

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 01:45:43 pm »
As i'm a geek especially with the tyres that in the end will save me my car and or life. I don't compromise with these things, as above bought a Bike new in 91, turned out to be a 89 model from Japan with factory fitted Bridgestones, after 3 month of ownership i had to make an emergency stop on the hottest day of the year, front tyre slipped and i did a Superman along the tarmac, (first and only time without leathersuit and gloves), Had my skin peeled off 13 places, the palms of my hands was flat not normally curved. Always check the tyres on your newly bought vehicle for age.
Tought me to always put the best tyres on my vehicle whether bike or car.
Tyres are the only thing you shouldn't compromise on, and besides why in the he** buy a car with muscles and the take it to the road without grip to match???  :stupid:
In short: Buy tyres after what they are to be used for  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)