Make a donation

Author Topic: Recession hitting.... every other car is a TDI!!  (Read 11032 times)

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
Recession hitting.... every other car is a TDI!!
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:00 pm »
Noticed a big trend away from petrols especially on the motorways these days.

After selling my Edition 30 I'm in the process of selling a E90 330D....can't seem to get any interest!

Still got a nice track car and the missus has a nice A4 TDI avant which sees 45-50mpg on a run.

I must admit for me it would be pretty painful running my Edition 30 unless I was doing very low miles at 1.40 per litre of SUL at my local petrol stn. Can't justify that for the foreseeable what with mortgage and hols booked.

I'm still amazed at Evo mag talking at warm hatches costing 20k+....who are these people buying these cars?

I thought the recession according to the news was hitting middle England? Lack of loans/credit..I wonder whether it's propaganda. Most new cars are being sold abroad.

I wonder whether the tuners are suffering or is everyone doing well?
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Recession hitting.... every other car is a TDI!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:42:24 pm »
Well every car I have valued on Glass's for the last week or so has increased in value over last months valuation!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:50:31 pm »
Well every car I have valued on Glass's for the last week or so has increased in value over last months valuation!

Really??

I thought my E90 being diesel would sell really easily as it is very well priced with a great spec.

I am told cars around the £10k mark are very difficult to shift as middle England (normal family people) are not taking out loans

These people 2-3 years ago were buying these types of cars but things seem to have changed radically.

I have mine on Autotrader for over 8 weeks with loads of scam/spam emails probably from off shore by the English being written.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:24 pm »
Really........ An Astra 1.8 petrol auto i valued had gone up £350 on last months valuation!  :surprised:

Offline damo666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:58:31 am »
I'm hoping more people will turn to diesel power because
of the recession then hopefully diesel will increase in price
because of demand leaving petrol to (fingers crossed) come
back down to an acceptable level 0.48 p/l :happy2:

zzzzzzzzzZzzzzz Hey guys I just woke up :laugh: :laugh:
(you can but dream) :P

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:36:32 am »
The problem imo your facing is its a large deisel car with a large deisel engine.
Golf size deisels are selling well. But small cars with small petrol engines are too because of the price difference its often not worth moving to deisel with such cars.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:48:57 am »
Its not that people are not borrowing, its that they cant! I have a pretty simple proposal for my bank, i want to settle my VW finance on my car and take a personal loan to do so. This would enable me to sell my car if i wanted to and get the money back out of it to put into another car. Or split the personal loan across 2 cars, ie Edition 30 (fingers crossed)£16kish, i would then borrow a smaller amount than i borrowed for the GTI and  buy a £10k van and a £6k car. Or vice versa!
Im literally laughed out the place!
The price of fuel is a slight problem, but you need petrol at the end of the day! Maybe its a sign of ageing, thinking of having a nice car for weekends and a diesel/van for business/commute!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:54:33 am »
I'm hoping more people will turn to diesel power because
of the recession then hopefully diesel will increase in price
because of demand leaving petrol to (fingers crossed) come
back down to an acceptable level 0.48 p/l :happy2:

zzzzzzzzzZzzzzz Hey guys I just woke up :laugh: :laugh:
(you can but dream) :P

That will unfortunately never happen read an article about this a year or so back we have apparently had a surplus of petrol compared to diesel in the country for awhile but countries like America find it cheaper to import our surplus than build new refineries and crack there own petrol.  :fighting:  (Istand to be corrected if this has now changed as I know we have some people who work for the oil companies/refineries on here)

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:38 am »
Well I've just sold my 21k VW Rocco, settled off my Finance and just couldn't face another round of anal probing to get more credit, luckily I've got a good credit score so they approve me with a crap rate at which I either vote with my feet or negotitate with the bank and get it down.

The Rocco finance was paid off and I bought a 70k Mondeo Ghia X Auto Estate TDCi with what was left over, had it migliored and I must admit because:

I can leave it anywhere
Its not on 35 section tyres and expensive alloys
Im not on a limited mileage contract
Its a comfy car

Im enjoying it more than the rocco right now.....

Plus I get to keep my powder dry for/if the ED35 arrives

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:34:33 am »
Whatever the price of petrol becomes, you won't see me owning a diseasal, nor a hybrid.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:36:11 am »

....Really? - That doesn't say much for the Rocco  :surprised:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 09:50:28 am »

....Really? - That doesn't say much for the Rocco  :surprised:
I don't think thats what he meens.  I know exactly what he meens though as i often run old bangers, currently over the winter its a daihatsu. The mundaino is a car he can leave anywere and not worry about it. Its a car he does not have to dodge every pebble, pothole, kerb with or worry about speed bumps, other motorists quality driving and parking with. The list goes on and on etc, etc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:57:24 am by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:19 am »
its not hitting everyone... brand new gt2 rs drove past me this morning as I walked to clapham junction station - frosted grey colour with exposed carbon fibre bonnet  :drool:

chap looked like he was enjoying driving it despite the crators in the road he was weaving around  :happy2:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 10:34:39 am »

its not hitting everyone... brand new gt2 rs drove past me this morning as I walked to clapham junction station - frosted grey colour with exposed carbon fibre bonnet  :drool:

chap looked like he was enjoying driving it despite the crators in the road he was weaving around  :happy2:

....Exactly. Recession never does hit everyone. Mortgage rates etc etc are constantly fluctuating anyway and never worth losing any sleep over. You won't suddenly see a traffic jam of diseasals on London's Park Lane. Someone my age in the UK will have experienced several economic recessions.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:42 am »

....Really? - That doesn't say much for the Rocco  :surprised:

I don't think thats what he meens.  I know exactly what he meens though as i often run old bangers, currently over the winter its a daihatsu. The mundaino is a car he can leave anywere and not worry about it. Its a car he does not have to dodge every pebble, pothole, kerb with or worry about speed bumps, other motorists quality driving and parking with. The list goes on and on etc, etc.

....It's a list you very quickly adapt and get used to and becomes normal habit. In my opinion, absolutely worth it if you enjoy your driving as I do. So what if I can't use most multi-storey carparks, I always find somewhere to park: