Make a donation

Author Topic: Recession hitting.... every other car is a TDI!!  (Read 11035 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: Recession hitting.... every other car is a TDI!!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 02:09:16 pm »
And @ Robin

The Rocco was a great car, probably one of the nicest cars Ive owned (taking various company cars out of the equation) but you'd have to be seriously rich to not worry in any regard about a nice car be it a 20k car or a 100k GT3RS.

Its nice to be in something non descript and low profile that isn't costing the earth, even if I'd only driven the rocco once a month then it would have been worth the monthly payment, I was at the other end of the scale trapesing up and down the M55 to work and not getting the best from it.

My job takes me away for protracted periods - would you leave your car (as is) on an airport car park??

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »
There's nothing more liberating than having a crap car you don't care about.

Oh, and I'm still rocking a CRT in the lounge!... I can't justify replacing it for the sake of it.
Sideways yo!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 02:25:02 pm »
Oh, and I'm still rocking a CRT in the lounge!... I can't justify replacing it for the sake of it.

Povvy Git!     :signLOL:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »
Hey, that 100Hz of Panasonic beauty there - I swear the picture is still better than the flat screen in the dining room.
Sideways yo!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:58 pm »
Noticed a big trend away from petrols especially on the motorways these days.

After selling my Edition 30 I'm in the process of selling a E90 330D....can't seem to get any interest!

Still got a nice track car and the missus has a nice A4 TDI avant which sees 45-50mpg on a run.

I must admit for me it would be pretty painful running my Edition 30 unless I was doing very low miles at 1.40 per litre of SUL at my local petrol stn. Can't justify that for the foreseeable what with mortgage and hols booked.

I'm still amazed at Evo mag talking at warm hatches costing 20k+....who are these people buying these cars?

I thought the recession according to the news was hitting middle England? Lack of loans/credit..I wonder whether it's propaganda. Most new cars are being sold abroad.

I wonder whether the tuners are suffering or is everyone doing well?

I hear what you're saying. I recall more 318D's and C220D's than I do Focus and Astra petrols from my daily commute.
A naturally aspirated petrol is becoming a rarer sight, there's no doubt about it. Luckily there's still some popular choices in the petrol turbo ranges with the engines becoming greener and more economical.

What's the spec of the 330D out if interest? I'll probably be looking for one in about 18 months time so it'd be a good to get an idea what spec and prices are like now  :smiley:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:31 pm »
Pm me the 330D link  :happy2: , thinking about jumping from the ED30 too just now.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:25 pm »
Whatever the price of petrol becomes, you won't see me owning a diseasal, nor a hybrid.

The day there is no longer a petrol car for sale is the day I will be a man on the road to riches.

Offline rdshaw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 09:02:43 pm »
I have had a long line of cars and now ended up with the MK5 GT - Chuffed at the moment.

tony_danza  - p3do bear! Haha - What site is this?

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 09:26:02 pm »
Pm me the 330D link  :happy2: , thinking about jumping from the ED30 too just now.

Will do

Ian
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »
Pm me the 330D link  :happy2: , thinking about jumping from the ED30 too just now.

They are great cars....46+mpg!!

I was sad to see my Edition 30 go but at the time it was a priority.

I'm lucky to have my old 3 door big bumper MK2 16V Golf which is properly quick around Combe....the car has been extensively featured in VW Driver and Tim Stiles book.....a developement from their old VW cup days....a proper 200+bhp 16V carefully put together and still running a fettled Kjet system. I owned the car back in 1998 and built it to 2 litre with a Quaiffe etc etc....it's proper old school but still has that OE look...a real sleeper!
I ran out of cash and drive to spend/borrow more on the Edition 30. It needed a diff, clutch, intake, proper big brakes, big intercooler and track rubber in other words another £6k!! The bottom line is that it's a lot of cash to rag around the track unlike the MK2!
Here's a link to some pics/spec:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219049

The Audi diesel is a real boon as an everday car....comfy,frugal and a touch of luxury. Sensible motoring for the family man!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:14:46 pm by Msportman »

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 11:05:19 pm »
Well every car I have valued on Glass's for the last week or so has increased in value over last months valuation!

are you a motor engineer or work for Glass'? handy person to know if need an idea on a guide price..

a lot of people at my work are struggling, one girl is getting rid of her corsa sri for a focus tdi and one girl had to get rid of her audi a4 1.8t cab for a 1.2 corsa  :sad1:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Ifti

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2011, 10:10:37 am »
Sold my ED30 for a Bluemotion!!
Not nearly as much fun, but Im happier overall.

Was getting too protective over the ED30.
Watched where I parked etc.
It was like I was always worried when I parked the car somewhere and left it!!
Before every drive it got to a stage where I would look up parking ares etc first and see what they were like, then check how much fuel I would use!

With the Bluemotion I get around 700-800 miles to a tank.
Dont care where I park.
Dont care where I drive.
Road tax at £35 is nothing.
Cheaper insurance.

Im saving in all directions, so more to pump into my mortgage instead.

Once I get a bigger house, I'll buy a nice weekend car, and keep the Bluemotion for the work commute etc.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »
Sold my ED30 for a Bluemotion!!
Not nearly as much fun, but Im happier overall.

Was getting too protective over the ED30.
Watched where I parked etc.
It was like I was always worried when I parked the car somewhere and left it!!
Before every drive it got to a stage where I would look up parking ares etc first and see what they were like, then check how much fuel I would use!

With the Bluemotion I get around 700-800 miles to a tank.
Dont care where I park.
Dont care where I drive.
Road tax at £35 is nothing.
Cheaper insurance.

Im saving in all directions, so more to pump into my mortgage instead.

Once I get a bigger house, I'll buy a nice weekend car, and keep the Bluemotion for the work commute etc.

Very sensible IMO.

Owning a hot hatch is becoming the preserve of the wealthy. Many young people on the property ladder cannot afford it these days. As said previously, ownership of S3's, Golf R's etc and most £15-20k cars falls into minority groups with either no mortgage or living at home with parents or on big incomes. I look around where I live and people struggling with their mortgage kids etc they have other priorities hence the diesel parked on the drives usually Ford's Pugs, Vauxhall's and the odd Audi/BMW normally 6-10yrs old. You definately can see a tightening of belts what with the fuel and insurance costs escualating. My work colleagues most of which are on 40k+ are all in mundane cars these days and most only talk of a nice car on retirement. Most won't invest money in cars as they can't. It is the preserve of the few owning nice cars it seems.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:56:11 pm by Msportman »

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 01:22:46 pm »
Of late I've been considering jumping ship as well.  Whilst I can still afford to run the GTI without having to sacrifice anything else and can't fault the car at all 99% of the journeys I do just don't lend themselves to using the GTI to anywhere near its full potential.  My priorities have changed a bit since I've got the car and when I would happily pay the 'tax' that comes with running a hot hatch I now grudge it as money thats basically being spent for no return (happiness). 

I'm also getting fed up having to care for it and worry about its wellbeing all the time.  And look on somewhat enviously at my fiends who treat their cars as thing or just another white good.  The GTI deserves better than that but I'm not sure I can give it anymore.

I think I've fallen out of love a little bit :sad: not just with the GTI but with driving as a passion.  Fuel costs, potholes and getting a bit older I guess (silence Robin  :signLOL:)

Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »
The missis has already chosen her new weapon of choice when she changes car. I was pushing her in the direction of the Polo GTI/Fabia VRS/Bocanegra, but she is adamant that she wants...................

A Prius :surprised: :ashamed:

138bhp, zero tax and probably zero thrills :laugh:

Anyone had experience of them?
Golf R gone.