Make a donation

Author Topic: Strange Seatbelt Issue  (Read 1943 times)

Offline iain014

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Strange Seatbelt Issue
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:46 am »
Hi,

Been scouring the site for anyone with a similar problem to this but all I can find is people wanting to get rid of that massively irritating seatbelt beep!

The problem I have is that maybe one in every 5 attempts, the passenger seatbelt will lock in place (as though you are trying to yank it) and no amount of force or patience will fix it. However, as soon as you start driving with the seatbelt off it suddenly starts working like a seatbelt should, which says to me that its more of an electrical than a mechanical issue.
Typically, the problem seemed to have sorted itself out over the last month or so, but someone is coming to view my car at the weekend and lo and behold the seatbelt decided to jam last night!
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Iain

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Strange Seatbelt Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:13 pm »
The inertia real in your seatbelt is mechanical not electrical.

Issues with those can be caused by grime on the belt or a faulty latch on the real.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »
The inertia real in your seatbelt is mechanical not electrical.

Issues with those can be caused by grime on the belt or a faulty latch on the real.

i always thought the "lock" you feel can be electronically activated too, when your airbag is deployed you are locked into your seat the after how ever many milliseconds released into the deployed airbag.

also in progressively hard breaking i have had the seat belt lock....

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:04 pm »
That's called a pretensioner.  A small explosion that will apply tension to the inertia real ratchet.

I'm fairly certain the seatbelt would be mechanical in operation but I'll see if I can confirm either way.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:40:18 pm by vRStu »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:55:28 pm »
The inertia reel is mechanical only.

The pre-tensioner is as already said pyrotechnic and will only operate once.  Its the bit the seatbelt clips into which the pre-tensioner acts on and it will try and pull down taking any slack in the belt with it.  You would know if that had gone off!
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »
yes i know that pulls you into your seat with a loud bang some smoke and a horrible smell (i have been there) but the seatbelt once pulled you into your seat then releases you into the air bag, i always thought it did this by overriding the real "lock" and allowing your top half to continue forward...

Offline iain014

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:27:51 pm »
Cheers for the replies.
I had originally thought that there may be some sort of dirt/grime on the belt lower down which I will look into again (if I can get the poxy side panels off!), but I'm at a bit of a loss to explain why it starts working again once you start driving?

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »
Do you park ur car on a steep slope?
57 plate Tornado red 3dr manual edition 30

Offline iain014

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:12:58 pm »

Not particularly no, what's the thinking behind that one?

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:54:47 pm »

Not particularly no, what's the thinking behind that one?

When Ive had a seat belt apart before the inertisha ball has to be at the right angle to allow you to pull the belt out,
I was wondering that if you happen to be parked on a steep slope the ball/latch drops into the locked position not allowing you to pull it out and as soon as you start driving it releases the latch allowing you to pull it. it was only a thought and would only really apply if your car is park on a really steep slope?

Seat belts may be different now as the one I stripped was a 1989 Peugeot 205, i remember the coil springs are a nightmare to coil back up.

Offline iain014

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 05:11:01 pm »
Interesting thought Treesimon. May be a case of dismantaling the interior panels then, I've got half a day tomorrow to do it, the guy is coming to look at the car on Saturday morning so lets hope I can put it all back together properly!

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:26:28 pm »
Might be worth playing around with it before you strip it down, Try parking on a slope forwards then backwards and yank the belt out a couple of times. Comparing it to the feel of the drivers belt. You might be able to see a pattern or feel a point where it becomes free and a point beyond that where it locks.

If you do remove it all you have to hold it at the correct angle to allow you to pull the belt out. The cassette will more than likely have a locating dowel on it that goes into hole on the frame. This holds it at the correct angle once fitted in the car. Its a pain in the arse to to get the release angle when it's separated from the car.     If that all makes sense?