Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Spark plugs
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:41:29 pm »
Recently I have replaced one of my coil packs and at the same time I replaced the plugs with NGK double platinum ones. A friend of a friend replaced the plugs for me as he has the right tools and works as a mechanic on trucks. I gave him the correct gap measurement for the plugs but he said they would be ok as they were which seemed odd?
 Now I might be being paranoid but I'm sure the car isn't as torque'y as before and I was wondering what the importance of tapping the plugs was and how an incorrect gap could effect the car? I'm also getting considerably more wooosh on let off if that could be connected somehow? I have a relatively new revision D valve fitted sol can't see that going so soon.

Also since the car was mis-firing like mad I have developed an annoying tapping sound coming from under the drivers football towards the centre console. Presumably the misfire has caused something to come loose but I can't seem to identify what. Anyone had anything similar?

Cheers peeps.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:59:41 pm by Boothy »

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:11:00 am »
0.80 is the standard gap on the TFSi's.  If you are running more power then i gap them down to 0.64.

The NGK BKR6IEX and 7IEX plugs both are gapped at 0.80 from NGK.

Do you know what heat rated plug you have?
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »
The ones I have / were given are NGK PFR7S8EG but I have no idea on temp range I'm afraid? Its nowhere on the packaging however I have just checked the NGK website and they are the ones listed for my vehicle. The website says that they also come pre-gaped for the specific vehicle so I suppose that answers part of the question.
 I'm still sure its pulling different than before though. Been driving it today and it definatley feels like the peak torque has move up from around the 2, 2500 rpm to more like 3000 rpm but it pulls loads better at high revs? Its completely bamboozled me! :laugh:

Offline cupra_k1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:00:12 am »
The ones I have / were given are NGK PFR7S8EG but I have no idea on temp range I'm afraid? Its nowhere on the packaging however I have just checked the NGK website and they are the ones listed for my vehicle. The website says that they also come pre-gaped for the specific vehicle so I suppose that answers part of the question.
 I'm still sure its pulling different than before though. Been driving it today and it definatley feels like the peak torque has move up from around the 2, 2500 rpm to more like 3000 rpm but it pulls loads better at high revs? Its completely bamboozled me! :laugh:

The number 7 in the part number is the heat range mate. According to JKM, the standard heat range for 2.0tfsi plugs has been increased from 6 to 7. Also the plugs come pre-gapped at 0.80mm so you should be ok there. I have also fitted a set of these today to replace my BKR7EIX's but can't comment on the way they perform as i am yet to give the car a good run.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:31:08 pm »

The number 7 in the part number is the heat range mate. According to JKM, the standard heat range for 2.0tfsi plugs has been increased from 6 to 7. Also the plugs come pre-gapped at 0.80mm so you should be ok there. I have also fitted a set of these today to replace my BKR7EIX's but can't comment on the way they perform as i am yet to give the car a good run.

Let me know how you get on mate.