Make a donation

Author Topic: Speeding conviction advice.  (Read 7431 times)

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Speeding conviction advice.
« on: February 03, 2011, 07:11:57 pm »
Hi guys,

I passed a camera van on a dual carriageway near me last friday and was a little adventurous with the loud pedal and they clocked me doing 87 in a 60 zone.

Any idea what that sort of speed will get you?

This is my first conviction in 10 years so no other points.

Im gutted that I took my eye off the ball for 5 mins (I had seen a lovely black Mustang GT up front and wanted a closer look, I bet they were using it as bait!) :signLOL:

Not complaining as I shouldnt have been going that fast but it was a lovely sunny dry day with only myself and the GT on that stretch of road through countryside. spoilt a good mornings driving now!

Any advice as to what to expect welcome.

Cheers
Jon

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
Re: Speeding conviction advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:20:17 pm »
Where abouts did you get done? And what does the letter say?

You might be lucky and get a speed awareness course depending on where you were

But you were quite a bit over the speed limit so would more likely say points and fine - could be as much as 6pts and fine £100+

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:20:58 pm »
Try this:

http://www.speedingfinesuk.co.uk/free_legal_advice/speeding_fine_calculator.htm

Although if you havent received a court summons you could get off lightly (3 points and a fine).

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:26:56 pm »
you might be lucky, according to the news this week only a small percentage of the UK's cameras are actually firing  :smiley:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:29:26 pm »
It will get you £60 and 3 points i would suggest. Speed awareness is a waste of space unless you've got 9 points already , good luck :happy2:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:30:47 pm »
It will get you £60 and 3 points i would suggest. Speed awareness is a waste of space unless you've got 9 points already , good luck :happy2:

you would seriously take 3 points over a speed awareness course  :confused:

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »
That was exactly the same speed in the same limit I got caught doing last summer.The fine is £60 and 3 points.

If I was offered a speed awareness course I would have taken it.

Gulf

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:36:42 pm »

But you were quite a bit over the speed limit so would more likely say points and fine - could be as much as 6pts and fine £100+

Cheers everyone, it got me on the A491 nr jcn 4 of the M5. The letter does actually say that a fixed penalty procedure is not applicable to the alleged offence so I get the impression it's going to be a summons from west Mercia police. I just need to send the letter back with signature that I was the driver.
Topped off a bad wk really as I got food poisoning a couple of days beforehand from the hotel I was staying at! Some times your in the wrong place at the wrong time I suppose!

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:49:06 pm »
Hey tanner !

I stand to be corrected here but I believe 30mph over indicates a ban ! So I guess it will be big points !

My fiancee has just been caught in the golf at 102 and is an instant ban ! on the motorway though !

I don't know what it means to you but she would have lost her job for disqo so we have got freeman and co involved ! Very expensive but she won't lose her job !

It is free to call them for advice before you send off your NIP. ,

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:17 am »
It's rather academic now but isn't 70, not 60, the speed limit on dual carriageways unless specifically signed?

@ Britishlion:
What a bummer for just 2 mph over. Would she lose her job because it depends on her being able to drive? Surely the ban wouldn't last too long and her employers could keep her. Once upon a time I used to have a young chauffeuse and PA and I kept her job open for a few months when something personal came up in her life because she was good. She repaid me by getting me a project with one of the then wealthiest Arabs in the world through her father's connections. The job meant staying in Cannes on the French Riviera and Marbella in Spain. Oh, and also a trip to Marrakesh.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:44:23 am »

Cheers everyone, it got me on the A491 nr jcn 4 of the M5. The letter does actually say that a fixed penalty procedure is not applicable to the alleged offence so I get the impression it's going to be a summons from west Mercia police. I just need to send the letter back with signature that I was the driver.
Topped off a bad wk really as I got food poisoning a couple of days beforehand from the hotel I was staying at! Some times your in the wrong place at the wrong time I suppose!

tell them it was your girlfriend at the time! mary jane smith!  :signLOL: she doesn't have a mobile phone, no known address, you never took a picture and you let her use the car for an hour!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:55:46 am »
Absolutely hate camera vans they dont conform to any of the other rules that speed cameras are subject too, they arent easily visible they are often hidden round corners, they arent bright yellow and from a distance they look like any other parked van. 

Un-like a patrol car they dont use judgement to determine if they need to check your speed they in-discriminatly log the speeds as you enter there field of view, they are simply there to catch people speeding (I know you shouldnt be breaking the law) but the whole point of cameras as they were introduced in the UK was to reduce accidents at known black spots.

I cant remember the link but it was posted up in another topic about the different types of cameras and the known issues and the video of them moving from one car to another just trying to find someone over the limit is wrong they should use judgement to gauge if an offence is being committed and then confirm if it is with the camera (I stand to be corrected by one of the police officers on here)

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:06:20 am »

Absolutely hate camera vans they dont conform to any of the other rules that speed cameras are subject too, they arent easily visible they are often hidden round corners, they arent bright yellow and from a distance they look like any other parked van. 

Un-like a patrol car they dont use judgement to determine if they need to check your speed they in-discriminatly log the speeds as you enter there field of view, they are simply there to catch people speeding (I know you shouldnt be breaking the law) but the whole point of cameras as they were introduced in the UK was to reduce accidents at known black spots.

I cant remember the link but it was posted up in another topic about the different types of cameras and the known issues and the video of them moving from one car to another just trying to find someone over the limit is wrong they should use judgement to gauge if an offence is being committed and then confirm if it is with the camera (I stand to be corrected by one of the police officers on here)

....Wholeheartedly agreed! They're meant to be Safety Cameras - That's what they're called!

I'm now paranoaic about every parked white van I see just in case I'm doing over the 60 limit. I don't care so much about seeing them in the 30/40 zones because I strictly adhere to those regardless of any cameras, but I do wonder about how accurate some of them are.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8arkdqbeo2jsagj40hj2mtpuub&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:27 am »
It's rather academic now but isn't 70, not 60, the speed limit on dual carriageways unless specifically signed?

Yes, :happy2:

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 10:19:14 am »

@ Britishlion:
What a bummer for just 2 mph over. Would she lose her job because it depends on her being able to drive? Surely the ban wouldn't last too long and her employers could keep her. Once upon a time I used to have a young chauffeuse and PA and I kept her job open for a few months when something personal came up in her life because she was good. She repaid me by getting me a project with one of the then wealthiest Arabs in the world through her father's connections. The job meant staying in Cannes on the French Riviera and Marbella in Spain. Oh, and also a trip to Marrakesh.

@RR

Unfortunately she works for a big corporate hotel company as a sales person, to be honest with the market place as it is, sales people are crying out for jobs, we were just doing it as a precautionary as she had to dismiss one of her sales team for a ban, as she got two months for speeding.

We believe it would be a 42 day ban ! so to be honest, rather than risk the work dilemma and increased insurance etc etc etc. We decided to just pay Freeman a lot of money, but in the long term it will pay dividends, to stop that fear of "what if" she loses her job and the income stops.

I have just sold my company and have set up a new one, so money is there, but to lose her guaranteed income, holiday pay, sickness cover etc, it would not be worth the risk to us !

BL

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE