Make a donation

Poll

Would you be interested in the wrapping application accessories?

nope, safer to let a company do it for me
7 (21.9%)
something i would consider with guidance
23 (71.9%)
yes, supply it already
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Who's wrapping? Who wants to try?  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: Who's wrapping? Who wants to try?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 08:50:38 am »
I was thinking Racoon has they have a base in Leeds which is where I am.

Darren

Darren.

The one in Leeds (well it was actually in Featherstone but had a Leeds Phone Number) has shut down.  Nearest now is Manchester I beleive.

Although, I would love to be proved wrong as I would like my roof doing and got a price from Racoon but when I had finally made my mind  up between Gloss Black or Carbon, they had shut.

VC, the service you are thinking of offering would be great in my opinion, however I haven't the guts to attempt my roof. You are also too far away from me unfortunately.

I have since contacted another company local to me who told me not to use Gloss Black as it marks too easily?

Another company (again local) said not to use Di Noc 3M Carbon as the prep fluid would damage my paintwork and also it would be irremovable after fitment?

Could you shed any light on this for me please? I know this is your poll thread and I 100% appologise for the off topic post, I will delete it after, if you could be so kind enough to starighten out what I have been told.

Thanks in advance.

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »

Darren

Darren.

The one in Leeds (well it was actually in Featherstone but had a Leeds Phone Number) has shut down.  Nearest now is Manchester I beleive.

Although, I would love to be proved wrong as I would like my roof doing and got a price from Racoon but when I had finally made my mind  up between Gloss Black or Carbon, they had shut.

Cheers mate let me know if you find someone local or maybe between us we could get the stuff off VC and do our roofs :grin:

Darren

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

I have since contacted another company local to me who told me not to use Gloss Black as it marks too easily?

Another company (again local) said not to use Di Noc 3M Carbon as the prep fluid would damage my paintwork and also it would be irremovable after fitment?

Could you shed any light on this for me please? I know this is your poll thread and I 100% appologise for the off topic post, I will delete it after, if you could be so kind enough to starighten out what I have been told.

Thanks in advance.

vinyl will mark yes, but no more than paint, if anything its more forgiving but i think thats a pretty lame excuse for them to use.... might be down to their choice of vinyl? seems rubbish to me - i did a defender last year that then came back to me for more work - covered in fresh scratches from ploughing through trees, but the scratches stopped at the vinyl which was undamaged! i'll get some pix if you want? branches had scored right down through the laquer and paint and the avery vinyl was totally unmarked

the dinoc and the fluid are 2 different things, its the choice of fluid theyre using for prep, simple... and from the sounds of it theyre not using the right stuff? what vinyl they then laid on is irrelevant

the wrapping industry wouldnt exist if prep fluids damaged vehicles

the carbon doesnt require a special fluid all by itself, the prep fluid removes all wax, soap and contaminants like grease etc from the paint work, thats all else it wouldnt adhere correctly

no different that never having waxed your car, the paint is as protected as it leaves the factory - vinyl then gets floated onto it, excess fluid removed from underneath, heated and bobs your mothers brother  :happy2:

when the vinyl comes off again theres will be residue from the glues but nothing a thorough clean wont removed, stubborn glues can be removed with other special chemicals and then wax the car back up

i dont want to rubbish other companies at all, not my style, but from their advice... maybe not get wrapped there?

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 09:04:57 am »

Darren

Darren.

Cheers mate let me know if you find someone local or maybe between us we could get the stuff off VC and do our roofs :grin:

Darren

Yeah, we could do yours first mate  :signLOL:

I had tried Totally Dynamic in Bradford ( these recommended not to use Gloss Black Vinyl)

I then tried Paul Turner Graphics in Garforth Leeds ( these say Carbon vinyl cannot be removed without damaging my paintwork)

I had decided on Gloss Black though after seeing some other cars with it on.

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 09:12:17 am »

Thanks in advance.

vinyl will mark yes, but no more than paint, if anything its more forgiving but i think thats a pretty lame excuse for them to use.... might be down to their choice of vinyl? seems rubbish to me - i did a defender last year that then came back to me for more work - covered in fresh scratches from ploughing through trees, but the scratches stopped at the vinyl which was undamaged! i'll get some pix if you want? branches had scored right down through the laquer and paint and the avery vinyl was totally unmarked

the dinoc and the fluid are 2 different things, its the choice of fluid theyre using for prep, simple... and from the sounds of it theyre not using the right stuff? what vinyl they then laid on is irrelevant

the wrapping industry wouldnt exist if prep fluids damaged vehicles

the carbon doesnt require a special fluid all by itself, the prep fluid removes all wax, soap and contaminants like grease etc from the paint work, thats all else it wouldnt adhere correctly

no different that never having waxed your car, the paint is as protected as it leaves the factory - vinyl then gets floated onto it, excess fluid removed from underneath, heated and bobs your mothers brother  :happy2:

when the vinyl comes off again theres will be residue from the glues but nothing a thorough clean wont removed, stubborn glues can be removed with other special chemicals and then wax the car back up

i dont want to rubbish other companies at all, not my style, but from their advice... maybe not get wrapped there?

VC, thank you for the info, much appreciated mate.

Whilst talking to one of the companies, the method of trimming to the roofs shape was brought up. How exactly is this done? Is vinyl floated on over the edges and then trimmed using a blade? How do you achieve nice neat lines and more importantly for me, wouldn't the paintwork get marked on even slightly scored?

I have invested alot of time, money and patience into having mark free paintwork, and I wouldn't want to be getting any score lines in it whilst having vinyl put on.  It may sound a little pedantic or maybe arsey, but I hope it makes sense  :innocent:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 09:48:38 am »
have a look at this dude, it will answer a few questions regarding the cutting using rolling blades (akin to cutting paper with open scissors where you slide the blade rather than scissor) and extremely sharp scalpels which are used to complete the trim. You only use the weight of the knife and no pressure to do the last stage and does take skill but you cut the vinyl just deep enough to separate it so you dont actually make it deep enough to hit the paintwork (you can see though why you need a decent firm!)

enjoy:

I will in time start doing some instruction videos of my own

h4rdy

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »
Slightly off topic VC but not, bear with me you will see.

Is it possible to wrap a Veneered wooden enclosure?

In this example, a speaker?

I ask because I want to upgrade my speakers but the finishes are not to my liking.

If you know would the original finish be preserved?

If so also this would enable me to buy second hand almost any finish.

Sorry to hijack but it is kind of relevant!

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »
Slightly off topic VC but not, bear with me you will see.

Is it possible to wrap a Veneered wooden enclosure?

In this example, a speaker?

I ask because I want to upgrade my speakers but the finishes are not to my liking.

If you know would the original finish be preserved?

If so also this would enable me to buy second hand almost any finish.

Sorry to hijack but it is kind of relevant!

tbh i dont see why not, as long as the surface is flat and smooth - ive wrapped a number of plastic household items without issue

as for damage, as long as the original finish is bonded down securely to allow the vinyl to lift off again when youre ready then you should be fine  :smiley:

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »
Thanks for the clip VC, he makes it look easy.

Would the primer damage paintwork? It does say only required for  shapes though. After seeing that Mini roof I'm now not sure if I'd prefer Carbon again     :drool:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »
Thanks for the clip VC, he makes it look easy.

Would the primer damage paintwork? It does say only required for  shapes though. After seeing that Mini roof I'm now not sure if I'd prefer Carbon again     :drool:

the clip is heavily edited, he would have lifted that vinyl on and off many times over to get the edges down, he does make it look easy though... a golf roof is considerably easier shape wise too as the edges arent curved

and no, decent and correct primer wont damage the paint  :happy2:

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 07:35:33 pm »
Thanks again for answering my queries  :happy2:

Much appreciated. :drinking: