Make a donation

Author Topic: Photo editing software and Camera  (Read 3668 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Photo editing software and Camera
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:41 pm »
I know there are other threads about these topics.......Just thought there may be something new out (its now 2011) there so heres another  :evilgrin:

Well what is the best for editing Photos. I've heard that it is Photoshop . Any other suggestions or reccomendations? I am not that good at editing photos so will need something that has tutorials within the programmes , is there such a thing or a book or something like " an idiots guide to photoshop" ?

Then the next bit........Camera?

Having a relatively good knowledge of photography....but from A level Photography 30 years ago . I think something like a Canon Eos 550D with initially the 18-55mm lens....(best place to buy is duty free Dixons at Airports....reseve and collect)........You now save 20% rather than 17.5 aswell

The 550D has 18mp.....do you really think you need that many?
a 450D is 15mp and a bit cheaper
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:39:22 pm by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline dav-aberdeen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Photo editing software and Camera
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »
I know there are other threads about these topics.......Just thought there may be something new out (its now 2011) there so heres another  :evilgrin:

Well what is the best for editing Photos. I've heard that it is Photoshop . Any other suggestions or reccomendations? I am not that good at editing photos so will need something that has tutorials within the programmes , is there such a thing or a book or something like " an idiots guide to photoshop" ?
Then the next bit........Camera?

Having a relatively good knowledge of photography....but from A level Photography 30 years ago . I think something like a Canon Eos 550D with initially the 18-55mm lens....(best place to buy is duty free Dixons at Airports....reseve and collect)........You now save 20% rather than 17.5 aswell

The 550D has 18mp.....do you really think you need that many?
a 450D is 15mp and a bit cheaper

i have just got elements 9 photoshop for my christmas and it seems to be able to enhance my photos. not too expensive either, does more than enough for me.

the camera is something that i got last christmas as a gift also but its olympus e420 (first dslr) but next i will be looking for a nikon or cannon.

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »
As said, PS is a must for photo editing. I also use PhotoScape (its free, google it  :wink:)..

Anything Nikon or Canon will be up to the job  :happy2:

I run a Nikon D90  :smiley:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:20 am »
OK thanks for the 2 replies.
What differences can i expect to see with different sensors and megapixels?
I know it depends on how big i want the photos to be but.....is it worth getting the most megapixels you can afford or s there a cut off point where the money you pay outweighs what you receive in better quality........ like Hifi
For example there are 2 Canons at 15mp and 18mp. Is there much improvement in image quality as the reviews don't seem to say.
I'm really after a Camera that you can record the image on the sensor and then crop and improve/Alter the image later on Computer , I don't want to waste my money...I've got an ED30 to mod :happy2:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:37:55 am »
Dpreview.com tend to have good indepth reviews of various cameras. Suffice to say, a higher spec camera is better than a cheapo camera with lots of MP. MPs aren't the only thing to consider - lens, build quality, features etc all must be considered.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »
Dpreview.com tend to have good indepth reviews of various cameras. Suffice to say, a higher spec camera is better than a cheapo camera with lots of MP. MPs aren't the only thing to consider - lens, build quality, features etc all must be considered.

+1  :happy2:

My D90 only has 12MP but the picture quality is outstanding.

If I wer you I would set my budget and decide what manufacturer you want to go with and see what sort of deal you can get for your budget (bady and lans' package).

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »
Most important considerations when buying a camera, for me?

1) Lenses available - Canon, Nikon, Leica M-mount, then all the nonOEMs like Sigma etc...
2) Sensor size - I'm a full-frame man all the way, APS-C is acceptable but you shouldn't really get anything smaller than APS-C in a DSLR/prosumer camera.
3) Pixel pitch - how far away physically the individual pixels on the sensor are from each other. Denser is better (generally).
4) High ISO performance - important for low-light images, don't like using the flash.
5) Ergonomics.
6) Feature set.
and then after that Megapixels (though it's somewhat tied into pixel pitch/density).

EOS 550D is a very good starter camera, I learned a lot with my 400D ages ago.

...incidentally, I once dated the niece of the guy who invented the digital camera. No sh*t. He was just awarded the presidential medal of technology in the US last year...

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:51:59 pm »
Megapixels in the real world dont mean much its the size of the pixels that are important - bigger pixels = more light.

Ken Rockwell has an article about it here - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Ive moved up from a D60 to a D300s not for increased quality but for increased shutter speed and better ISO performance.

I did a six page feature shoot for PCC magazine with my old D60 so quality in the camera is not an issue! What makes the difference is the Lens. I hired a 70 - 200 2.8 lens (£1600 worth) to do the shoot - Pin sharp!

My advise would be try spend a bit on a lens. Ive got a 50mm 1.4 AFS and it is excellent and sharp cost me £330.

Offline darrenw

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:57:13 pm »
any more than 8 megapixels is wasted - my daughter upgraded from a 30d to a 5d but her photos haven;t improved - in fact she takes less cos the fancy semi pro 5d cost her so much of her pocket money she doesn;t want to scratch it (so she doesn;t take it out as much)

agree with the points above about the quality of lens being more important that the camera - a Canon 30d is a stonking bargain with all the features you will ever need

rgds
darren

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0c4dpap1e5ih97e9aai8p7i3uv&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:17:04 pm »
any more than 8 megapixels is wasted - my daughter upgraded from a 30d to a 5d but her photos haven;t improved - in fact she takes less cos the fancy semi pro 5d cost her so much of her pocket money she doesn;t want to scratch it (so she doesn;t take it out as much)

agree with the points above about the quality of lens being more important that the camera - a Canon 30d is a stonking bargain with all the features you will ever need

rgds
darren

Its the photographer that takes the photos not the camera. Id recommend getting some camera insurance then it doesnt matter if you bin it!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 11:39:34 pm »
Errr, got to agree with Rich there. Upgrading the camera and saying "the photos haven't improved" is not a fault of the camera - it's just a tool. It's the person behind the camera who makes the difference.

As for protecting it, hell, it's there to be used.