Make a donation

Author Topic: What do you guys think of the new mk6 gti  (Read 3854 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
What do you guys think of the new mk6 gti
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:57:04 am »
I have allways liked the mk5 golf gti for it's looks and the interior suits me too,
I work for VW and do drive plenty of mk5 and mk6 golfs (not many gti's tho) don't shoot me but I dont like the look of the mk6  :P I think the normall mk6 is ok but the gti doesn't cut it IMO,
What do you guys think? How do they compare in your eyes?
Jack

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: What do you guys think of the new mk6 gti
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:59:59 am »
you mean the mk5.5  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:04:31 pm »
you mean the mk5.5  :signLOL: :signLOL:

If your fussy  :signLOL:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:04:44 pm »
Some people love it and some don't. I love the rear end but the front doesn't look particularly different to a standard Golf IMO. The double red stripe/grille isn't distinctive enough.

Stevep has one. Might be worth checking out his members' rides thread.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »
Some people love it and some don't. I love the rear end but the front doesn't look particularly different to a standard Golf IMO. The double red stripe/grille isn't distinctive enough.

Stevep has one. Might be worth checking out his members' rides thread.

Whether you like the styling or not (and I'm not that fussed), I can't see how you can mistake the front of a GTI with that of a normal Golf mk6, flared gills and fangs make it look very different even from quite a distance.

Personally having owned two mk5s and a mk6 there are things I prefer from each model, and some things I don't really like on each model. Styling wise, they're both just Golfs really so not going to set the world alight!  :smiley:
Andy
7R

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:48:09 pm »
The mk5 golf is an audi lookalike. :P The mk6 golf is more golf imo. When parked next to my mk1 my mk5 always looked tall and narrow and had no styling cues of the mk1 to it. It was pure euro bubble, cute, round with audi esk styled to it, to my eyes. The mk6 styling is designed to hide the tall narrow look of the shell and to me it works. Its front has more in common with the iconic Golfs of old then the mk5 ever did. The GTI styling never stood out from the rest of the range that was the point of the GTI but exBMW drivers and boy racers who came over to GTIs never understand that.  :wink: VW do, its why they for many years made adverts about it. I have owned both mk5 and mk6 but much prefer the sharper lines of the mk6 but each to there own. You ask this on a mk5 forum with diehard enthuisiasts and expect an unbiased answer PMSL :grin:
You may also want to try a search its been asked a gazillion times before.  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:52:47 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

h4rdy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:52:55 pm »
I prefer the Mk6 but didn't want to pay over £20k for a KO3 turbo'd car, actually is it a KO3 on the mk6?

I could have gone with a family member who works for VW and got one but would have had to wait 6-8 months.

Much more rounded and smooth better quality interior just nicer and seems less cluttered IMHO.

I might have a look now..................!

h4rdy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »
Still nearly £20k!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:35 pm »
The only Mk6 GTI which I've seen which I like (but don't love) is SteveP's modded one. He's done it very tastefully imo.

There's too much I don't like about the Mk6 that means that I would never buy one. But it's mostly its styling both inside and outside which I don't like and that's something very subjective and you can't really judge as wrong - It just doesn't appeal to me personally. I prefer the Golf R version. Also, I don't like the Rocco.

I could write an essay about what I don't like about the Mk6 GTI's styling. I hope to god that the Mk7 looks better and gives up all the Volkswagen corporate front look!

I wrote how I felt when I drove it in June 2009:  http://www.mk6golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51.0.html

[Oi!! Snoopy dog! I came to the GTI from a BMW  :P]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
Love the rear diffuser and exhaust setup like on Steves.

Still warming to them tbh. I quite like the .:R20, but IMO I prefer the MK5 range for raw appearance.
The MK6 still seems a bit big to me and I think that's emphasized with them on the 17x7.5 Monzas - they simply look too small whereas I think you could get away with it a little bit on the MK5.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:12:19 pm »
Still nearly £20k!
and? What you gettting at? I bought a bog standard mk5 GTI with only option of metallic paint and 5 doors in 2005 for £18800 which was a decent discount off ~£21K list inc(5door+met).  I did not get anywere near that level of discount off the mk6 in 2009/10 about half that % infact taking the couple of extras i added off there would be only £1500 difference and the mk6 was higher speced as standard so £1500 extra 5 years later, £300 a year? inflation  :wink:
Since i got mine ALL car manufacturers have risen prices stupidly just look at fiesta prices for example or mondeos. Yes now with 5 price rises and 2 VAT rises since, the mk6 GTI is not cheap ~£25K basic list in 2011 but so is every other new car out there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:15:02 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 01:17:10 pm »
I prefer the Mk6 but didn't want to pay over £20k for a KO3 turbo'd car, actually is it a KO3 on the mk6?

It's an IHI  turbo not a k03.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

h4rdy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 02:06:08 pm »
Still nearly £20k!
and? What you gettting at? I bought a bog standard mk5 GTI with only option of metallic paint and 5 doors in 2005 for £18800 which was a decent discount off ~£21K list inc(5door+met).  I did not get anywere near that level of discount off the mk6 in 2009/10 about half that % infact taking the couple of extras i added off there would be only £1500 difference and the mk6 was higher speced as standard so £1500 extra 5 years later, £300 a year? inflation  :wink:
Since i got mine ALL car manufacturers have risen prices stupidly just look at fiesta prices for example or mondeos. Yes now with 5 price rises and 2 VAT rises since, the mk6 GTI is not cheap now~£25K basic in 2011 but so is every other new car out there.

What am I getting at?

As somebody else put it MK5.5 used for £20k?

Saying that the new Citroen DS3 sporty thing is over £20k new! Mental!

All those prices are mental thats what I am getting at!

h4rdy

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:06:29 pm »

It's an IHI  turbo not a k03.   :smiley:

Thought so!

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 02:12:42 pm »
I wanted and could afford to get a MK6 but couldn't justify spending (secondhand) about £24k ish for an 09 GTI or GTD when i could get an ED30 07 for £14...bit of waste of £10k. As SNOOPY said earlier i like the way it looks more than the MK5...looks wider and like the twin exhaust exits either side on the rear...but the power increase from the MK5 put me off aswell...should have had more power around 240 and the R should have jhad over 300 for the prices they are asking and also the competition they have from other Manufacturers.
Also considered an RS4 Audi Avant 2006/7 but they are too much money for what they are. A good one still fetches nearly £30k with 40000 miles and nearly 4 years old...also £1000 for front pads and discs as an example of how costly they are to maintain
Think i got a good deal all round and still have £20k ish in the bank for the next car earning a vast fortune in one of our fine Financial institutions :evilgrin:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD