Make a donation

Author Topic: What do you guys think of the new mk6 gti  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Re: What do you guys think of the new mk6 gti
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »
The only Mk6 GTI which I've seen which I like (but don't love) is SteveP's modded one. He's done it very tastefully imo
Looks wise I really don't see the difference myself. Unless its the advert stickers on the side and rear that make it look like a advertisment billboard make you like it (jk):wink: :P :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :grin: :wink:
LED rear lights now standard, LEDxenons now optional, black wheels? Im stumped.
Perfromance wise uprated suspension and Stage2 ~300bhp i can see may appeal to you.

There's too much I don't like about the Mk6 that means that I would never buy one. But it's mostly its styling both inside and outside which I don't like and that's something very subjective and you can't really judge as wrong - It just doesn't appeal to me personally. I prefer the Golf R version.
I don't see it. R and GTI same inside. Outside the bumpers are different and its back to making the car look tall and narrow again. The rear pipes theres a very bland spot at the corners of the bumper viewed from the side/rear angle due to reflectors and pipes been moved. These changes reduces the illusion of width. Same with the front styling. The R's is back to making the car look tall and narrow, The GTIs look lower and wider.
The R using the bluemotion side skirts. The GTI side skirts change your eye line the R's increase the slab sidedness tall look. The GTI styling according to the designers was all about reducing the narrow look and height of the mk5 and mk6 golf to give the illusion of width so the car looked less tall and narrow, something i think it does. The R does not do this or the mk5 imo.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:12:48 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 02:36:47 pm »
The only Mk6 GTI which I've seen which I like (but don't love) is SteveP's modded one. He's done it very tastefully imo

I really don't see the difference myself. Unless its the advert stickers on the side and rear that make it look like a advertisment billboard make it attractive to you Robin  (jk):wink: :P :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :grin: :wink:

LED rear lights now standard, LEDxenons now optional, black wheels? Im stumped.

....I love the LED rear lights and LED Xenons but I don't like the Mk6 front styling, nor the removal of the side strips, and I detest the black inserts on the Monza's. I've said it all in the review I posted a link too.

It's only personal taste and I personally don't much like the look of the Mk6 enough to want one. The differences from the Mk5 might be slight but they make a big difference to the discerning eye.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 02:42:39 pm »
It's the back end I don't like lol! Agreed the golf R does look awsome with the led rears!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:40 pm »
But the GTI and GTD also now have LED rears standard have done for over 6 months.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 03:04:46 pm »
....I love the LED rear lights and LED Xenons but I don't like the Mk6 front styling, nor the removal of the side strips, and I detest the black inserts on the Monza's. I've said it all in the review I posted a link too.

It's only personal taste and I personally don't much like the look of the Mk6 enough to want one. The differences from the Mk5 might be slight but they make a big difference to the discerning eye.
I read the review when you first posted it and remember it. Im not a fan of the monza shadows either there too aftermarket looking. I know why they did them it was to make them look bigger again more like 19s and draw your eye away from how tall the mk5, mk6 side is, another reason for the crease they added.
I edited my original post as you know i often do, with a bit more info before i noticed this reply.
Discerning eye,
I guess is up to interpretation as i see what the designers were trying to do with the GTI front, sides and rear and actually see it. (They were trying to create an illusion of making the car look wider to reduce the way the mk5 and mk6 look tall and narrow)  I guess you don't see this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:11:50 pm by Snoopy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:20 pm »

I edited my original post as you know i often do, with a bit more info before i noticed this reply.

Discerning eye,
I guess is up to interpretation as i see what the designers were trying to do with the GTI front, sides and rear and actually see it. (They were trying to create an illusion of making the car look wider to reduce the way the mk5 and mk6 look tall and narrow)  I guess you don't see this.

....I did see/understand this but it simply doesn't appeal to me aesthetically.  :happy2:

I'm not so interested in the thinking behind the design - I only care if it appeals to me or not.

It will be very interesting indeed to see what the VW designers do for the Mk7 if they're still wanting to maintain a strongly recognisable evolved look.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:20:00 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »
I like them both , and in 4 years time when I consider trading in the Mk5 , if I can find a Mk6 3 door in White with leather , sat nav and 18" Shadows , then I will probably update to one.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)