Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark Plug issues  (Read 24242 times)

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Spark Plug issues
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »
It seems that you have issue with double platinum NGK plugs, but it worry me because I have just bought a set of NGK BKR8EIX. :scared:

JKM Tuning provide NGK BKR7EIX and BKR8EIX, so I guess it is fine.

Does any body had them fitted on their car and can give a feedback?
got NGK BKR7EIX..  fitted to mine on revo stage 1 and fine no problums,  :smiley:

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 02:26:01 pm »
Thanks  :happy2:
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline damoegan

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 03:11:33 pm »
It seems that you have issue with double platinum NGK plugs, but it worry me because I have just bought a set of NGK BKR8EIX. :scared:

JKM Tuning provide NGK BKR7EIX and BKR8EIX, so I guess it is fine.

Does any body had them fitted on their car and can give a feedback?
got NGK BKR7EIX..  fitted to mine on revo stage 1 and fine no problums,  :smiley:

I'm also running BKR7EIX on stage 1 with no problems..

Offline Toast

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 3
  • Oot n By all the Keyboard Warriors
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
My mates going to price me these up tomorrow hopefully cure my missfire :driver:
Editon 30, no-0472-, 1/4mile 13.6sec@Crail-Giac 348bhp,345lbsft,Milltek tbe,s3 Cooler,Helix single mass clutch kit,Eibach Coilovers,Bsh Cold Air Intake , Autotech HPFP,s3 brakes,Speedline Turini's,Xenons

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 06:28:29 pm »
Most "racing" spark plugs are just colder heat ranges of the same street versions spark plug. Their internal construction is no different than their standard heat range equivalents. Racing spark plugs do not make more power in an engine, rather, they allow the engine to make more power. Meaning, after all the engine modifications are done that add power, a racing plug is better designed to operate in the torturous conditions created by those modifications. If you used a regular plug in a modified race engine, it would quickly be destroyed, while a properly selected racing plug would endure the extreme limits of that motor. Take that same racing plug, however, put it in an unmodified motor, and it would foul out within minutes.

The differences between a racing plug and traditional plug are not solely heat range. There are firing tip configurations necessary for survival in alternate fuel racing and situations of extreme boost/compression (such as retracted-nose insulators or surface gap firing tips), which would run very poorly in an unmodified motor. However, there are some very effective race plug design features including ultra-fine wire electrodes, gold palladium, platinum, iridium electrodes and cut back ground electrodes that are now available in standard non-racing heat ranges, these can maximize fuel combustion and improve performance in unmodified motors as well.

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 06:31:04 pm »
 :signLOL:

Why not just post the link Jason hahaha

http://www.gag.com/~cabell/SparkPlugData.htm

I wonder if the NGK plugs being one stage colder is whats causing mine to run like poop. Still totally stock and misfiring like a barsteward all the time now.

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »
Hi Guys ,
thought i would post my findings on plugs , well my car has eaten 3 sets in a year (2 standard sets and 1 off the lower heat ngk range), symptoms are missfires with no codes stored , accelerating in 6th around 3,000 rpm cause jerky driving and loss of power.

Went to see Ben at Revo (top bloke) and he thinks i have oil leaking somewhere (possibly from the camshaft bearing cage) which is getting into my coil packs which is killing my plugs.
there is oil residue in my spark plug holes , you can feel it if you put your finger in  :laugh:
i have written to SEAT with his Bens comments and im waiting on a reply.
i know of another Cupra which has the same problem but more advanced than mine to the point its killing coil packs.
2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 10:53:59 pm »
Hi Guys ,
thought i would post my findings on plugs , well my car has eaten 3 sets in a year (2 standard sets and 1 off the lower heat ngk range), symptoms are missfires with no codes stored , accelerating in 6th around 3,000 rpm cause jerky driving and loss of power.

Went to see Ben at Revo (top bloke) and he thinks i have oil leaking somewhere (possibly from the camshaft bearing cage) which is getting into my coil packs which is killing my plugs.
there is oil residue in my spark plug holes , you can feel it if you put your finger in  :laugh:
i have written to SEAT with his Bens comments and im waiting on a reply.
i know of another Cupra which has the same problem but more advanced than mine to the point its killing coil packs.

Looks like my mate seans car is now the same. He said he was having to change plugs every 3k and it was going through oil like mad. Said his plugs are oily. Compression testing tomorrow

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 11:12:33 pm »
is this the guy who has posted needing a new engine?
2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:27 am »
is this the guy who has posted needing a new engine?

Yes. I dont think a everyday driven car has seen more abuse than his. Its had more WOTs than mine and waynes combined albeit with more mechanical sympathy. His car was knocking on 80k so I suppose he did alright out of it. Prior to this happening he said he was having misfire issues. Still went well though at WOT, when I last went on a run with him 3 weeks or so ago.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »

Offline singh123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Seat Leon Cupra
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 04:28:07 pm »
I think they are mate its got the same p/n just below in the quick view bit 101905631H as in the picture posted in page 3, but i got mine for either £32 or £34 from David at Sere on SCN  might be worth droping him an email  :smiley:

Seat Leon Cupra

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:35 pm »
Carl - Do these look like the right OEM plugs - http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/vw/golf/golf5/electrical/101-905-631h.html

In the Overview it has the correct part no. so i would assume so :happy2: