Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear disc size confirmation.  (Read 15978 times)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Rear disc size confirmation.
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:53:17 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking to fit GTI front and rear brakes to my GT TDI 140. I have the full front set up with 312mm discs thats fine.

I'm getting conflicting info on the rears. I was told I could just use the GTI rear calipers and carriers on my existing TDI disc but now I'm not so sure.

I've just looked on E.C.P and the GTI rear disc is listed under 3 different sizes 255mm, 260mm and 286mm.

After searching on here it looks like its 286mm but I'm unsure of the TDI rear disc size as E.C.P states that in 3 different sizes too.

I can measure them tomorrow but thought I'd ask the more knowledgeable on here first  :happy2:

TIA
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:25:43 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Rear disc size confirmation.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »
I would like to know the answer to this as well..because if i can't find any r32 rear calipers i can get some that take 288mm discs

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:26:35 pm »
Lets hope someone can shed some light on this for us mate  :happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:38:30 pm »
I have an early 54 plate gt tdi, and as far as im aware the front dics are 286mm and the rears are 255mm, the later gt tdi's came with the same brakes as the gti 312mm front and 286mm rear  :happy2:

I fittd some to mine but then changed them again for the R32 set up!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:40:55 pm »
Awright chaps

TDIs including GT TDI's got either got 255x10 or 260x12 discs

As far as I know NO diesels got the 286x12mm discs from the GTI these were only fitted to 2.0TFSI GTI's and Edition  30's

The carriers will be different and they wont fit, having seen a few hubs I would imagine that putting 286mm rears on a TDI would be doable but you cant mix and match. You cant just upgrade the discs.

The 288mm discs from the front of lesser Golfs are 25mm wide and wont even go in the carrier

Dont forget you'll need I think a 14mm spline bit to remover the rear caliper carrier bolts, as always a straightforward job if you've got the tools

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:46:43 pm »
Dave you are a legend  :happy2:

So just to confirm, if I want to use the GTI rear calipers and carriers I have I will need to upgrade the discs to 286mm and these will go onto the TDI hub with no problems?

I have the 14mm spline bit so thats no problem.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:02:29 pm »
Just had a look on ETKA..... im no ETKA expert and there are a couple of different suffixes for rear hubs although the main part number remains the same.

For a 100 quid mod its a risk worth taking, Im almost certain they'll go straight on.

I was looking at a 2008 Mk5 on illustration number 505-05 item 16

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »
Just had a look on ETKA..... im no ETKA expert and there are a couple of different suffixes for rear hubs although the main part number remains the same.

For a 100 quid mod its a risk worth taking, Im almost certain they'll go straight on.

I was looking at a 2008 Mk5 on illustration number 505-05 item 16

True.

Mines a 2005 so maybe different. Im pretty sure they'll go straight onto the hub though.

Cheers Dave

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:08:40 pm »
Dave you are a legend  :happy2:

So just to confirm, if I want to use the GTI rear calipers and carriers I have I will need to upgrade the discs to 286mm and these will go onto the TDI hub with no problems?

I have the 14mm spline bit so thats no problem.

So if i have read this right get gti carriers and calipers and up grade the discs to 288mm...like these from Awesome
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=13789&xSec=150

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:10:16 pm by maxitrol »

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:13:31 pm »
Thanks Andy,

But for my needs def overkill! I just want a little extra stopping power. When its mapped its not going to break any records (about 190bhp) but I feel the stock TDI brakes are pretty poor.

Its the missus's daily driver after all  :happy2:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »
Yep but they got the size of the rear disc wrong its a 286x12 NOT 288mm.

If you're planning on spending 415GBP then let somebody fit a used set first!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:18:11 pm »
Since my remap i have found the brakes poor but that will be sorted some..What i mentioned above might work then Lee with the gti calipers i hope :signLOL:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »
That rear kit is £445+ VAT  :surprised:

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 10:21:16 pm »
Andy, if you want some Cupra/GTI rear brakes give David @ SERE Motors a PM over on SCN..

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »
The gti rear calipers and carriers will bolt on no probs you just need the 286mm discs for them.  :wink: