Make a donation

Author Topic: Will these brakes fit under OEM wheels?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Will these brakes fit under OEM wheels?
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »

Maybe not. They are off the Vulcan which is currently in for it's Winter Service.  :notworthy:  :smiley:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pmmg52obfosve75dffpgpj3l2n&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Will these brakes fit under OEM wheels?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:32 pm »
Should be ok with an 8mm spacer...  :chicken:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:50:24 pm »
Crickey, how much do those pads go for????
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:51:43 pm »
As long as they are 17" and ET54 they should go on fine :happy2: :laugh:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:03 pm »
look how clean they are, nothin like commercial planes, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll get a pic, they're disgusting big dirty buses with wings :laugh:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:05:11 pm »
I think by comparison Gaz her ladyship is a pampered queen, but worth it.  :smiley:

It's been quite interesting following her Winter Service schedule. At one point she became a cabrio.

Now fully intact. The cockpit was removed to allow removal of teh ejection seats.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »
where's the check bein done Hedge???

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:14 pm »
RAF Lyneham.  :happy2:

I have been, paid my respects and donated Jaffa Cakes. Trust me when I say shes built on Jaffa Cakes.  :wink:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:26:38 pm »
This is a weeks worth.

:scared:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:52 pm »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:10:11 am »
And I thought Mine were big on my steed!

Just to give people a chance to appreciate how much the Vulcan needs everybodys help....my brakes cost 70k per wheel and the are HALF the size of the vulcans....oh and theres four of them.

Its a clever design the pads and discs are inbetween each layer the ridges on the outside of the "discs" slot into"slots" on the wheel itself, when the piston applies the pressure (bout 3000psi hedge?) the discs and pads are all scrunched together in a stack......

They've got to be able and demonstrate a stop from around 170MPH on a aircraft thats probably 50 tonnes in around a km, its perfectly acceptable that they burst into flames whilst they do it but they must continue stopping the thing and burn on their own for three minutes without the fire spreading......(Search rejected takeoff on youtube)

They also had ABS for about 30 years before somebody managed to fit it to a car!

Like cars Carbon brakes are coming to the fore but they dont give you the feel steelys do - Carbon is really snatchy

Help the Vulcan chaps, the displays are only ever going to get better. Even if its onlya packet of the Jaffas
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:12:21 am by DaveB1970 »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »
I asked the question and one of the Airframe Techs was kind enough to answer.

Certainly:

Top left of picture are two braided pipe lines. One is supply and the other is return.

Fluid is supplied from the brake control valve at pressure proportional to how hard the pilot is pressing on the foot motors (maximum 2500 psi)

Fluid under pressure enters the maxaret unit, which is the grubby black thing below the pipes and slightly right. The maxaret has a rubber tyre which runs on the inside of the wheel rim, inside the maxaret there is a weight which is held open against a spring. While the wheel is rotating the pressure is applied to the brakes and as the wheel slows down (starts to skid) the weight shuts off the pressure line and returns the fluid to the reservoir. Once the wheel is turning again the brakes are re-applied. All automatic and very clever for 1960!

Coming out of the bottom of the Maxaret you can see the single brake hose that takes the fluid to the brake unit back plate (the thick silver bit)

All the bits are mounted onto the back plate and it has internal channels to move the fluid to the brake pistons.

You can see two of the five brake pistons above and below the maxaret (gold coloured cone shaped things) There is a bonded washer under the cone and a rubber "O" ring inside. The actual piston which moves is just between the cone and the pressure plate (the first of the pink plates) One of these O rings failing was what cost us the display on Sunday at Farnborough last year.

There are five "stator" and four "rotor" plates The rotor plates are the bits with the square drive blokes on them, these fit into groves in the wheel. The stators are mounted onto the centre of the back plate on a castellated shaft which prevent them turning.

The whole unit is prevented from turning by the torque shaft which you can see in the top left of Ricks picture.

Actually you can read for yourselves as it's not in the members section.
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=752&sid=aee0c90376b367c5626da37ec3148728

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pmmg52obfosve75dffpgpj3l2n&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:01:40 am »
^^ Very interesting Hedge, Thanks!  :happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:56:54 am »
I forgot about this thread and forgot the picture of the dirty commercial plane brakes  :smiley: I will get 1 this weekend I promise :happy2:

I spent tuesday and wednesday removing all the wheels, brakes and main undercarriage from an Airbus A319 and I looked like I'd been a coalmining chimney sweep. They don't get cleaned to often as they don't make money when they are on the ground :smiley:

great Vulcan pics Hedge :happy2: