Make a donation

Poll

How much could you afford before you had to give up your beloved GTI/Ed30/R32 petrol powered beast?

no more than £1.40 Per Litre
no more than £1.70 Per Litre
no more than £1.90 Per Litre
no more than £2.10 Per Litre
no more than £2.30 Per Litre +
I don't care I need my fix!!!

Author Topic: How much would you pay for petrol? --Survey--  (Read 7274 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: How much would you pay for petrol? --Survey--
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »
My last fill of 55.58 litres cost me £79.42p. Last august for 55.26 litres it cost me £67.36. Now I know £13 a fill isn't a lot and I am getting the mileage as this is for Diseasel. However if fuel went up to say £2.00.9 p/l then I would be paying £111.66 for a tank of fuel :surprised:. This would work out very expensive if your doing a lot of miles per month.

We are paying more now for fuel than when the oil was at $140 per barrel. Current price for Brent crude is $101.43 and it's only risen from $89 in the last few weeks due to Egypt.

I know we have had a VAT increase and also fuel duty added twice. But me thinks somewhere in all this the oil companies and the government are getting a pound of flesh and then some. BP posted profits of a 90% increase on last year.

It's about time they passed some of that back to the consumer and invested in finding an alternative. It ain't gonna last much longer for them

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »
I have the GTI for fun and a mini cooper d for commuting.  100 miles to £10 of diesel is keeping me positive.  I only did 200 miles in the gti in the last 4 weeks so petrol costs aren't making too much difference to me now and after using a diesel, a 250bhp gti feels like a formula one car in comparison

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 08:06:02 pm »

the only cars id consider would be a 123d or 330d, 335d because they are immense when mapped

....Yeah, I think BMW deffo offer the best diesels currently out there but having owned a petrol straight-six Beemer it would still break my heart.

I have driven the 123d and the 330d and both are brilliant as standard, god knows what they could be when mapped. So are you saying you would rather have a BMW diesel than a GT TDI stock?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 09:29:36 pm »

the only cars id consider would be a 123d or 330d, 335d because they are immense when mapped

....Yeah, I think BMW deffo offer the best diesels currently out there but having owned a petrol straight-six Beemer it would still break my heart.

I have driven the 123d and the 330d and both are brilliant as standard, god knows what they could be when mapped. So are you saying you would rather have a BMW diesel than a GT TDI stock?

Id rather have the BMW standard than a golf TDI with a remap

ive driven the Gt TDi and vRS TDI and want impressed at all.  ive driven a stage 2 DE-DPF Octavia vRS but id say that was only comparable to a stage 1 TFSI in performance terms

If i were to get a diesel it would need to be over 200Hp standard to make me consider it, and then id have to map it

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 09:51:36 pm »
Shame they don't make a 135D that would be a nice little machine :driver:

However i would be quite happy with a 170D. My Slingshot is running at about the same as a 170 now with the Shark Map and it's definately no slouch. Nowhere near TFSi levels when mapped but it still shifts quite well.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 10:10:50 pm »
We are currently getting through an average of £100 a week on fuel to run the ED30  :scared:

Unfortunately getting closer every day to the point where i'll have to seriously consider a swap to the black stuff... 123d would be most likely choice, very impressive drive  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 11:13:57 pm »
Shame they don't make a 135D that would be a nice little machine :driver:

However i would be quite happy with a 170D. My Slingshot is running at about the same as a 170 now with the Shark Map and it's definately no slouch. Nowhere near TFSi levels when mapped but it still shifts quite well.

a 135D would be nuts.  Id be keen to try a stage 3 2.0TDI though, 260Hp with 400lbft of torque would be nice

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lvsvku8uuv817m2jmd16tgq3kj&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 11:16:11 pm »
Its not a case of "i need my fix"... its a case of, ive got to get to work! My job would be unbearable without the use of a car!

Nasir

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 11:35:44 pm »
It's a toughy, you want to stop driving so they (oil companies and the government) stop getting your money but then the government wins if you stop driving. All this Eco rubbish that's been drilled into peoples heads makes it so much worse. I think BP reported higher profits than last year because of the oil spill?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 04:48:49 am »
The oil spill was last year though. Imagine what they would have got if that's hadn't happened :surprised:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:54 pm »
I'm in a more fortunate position than most, I have a variety of electric cars to use for commuting/boring driving* (popping down to the shops etc) and it costs me £1.50 or so to recharge overnight (that's about 60-70 miles range).

For longer journeys and more fun driving I have the GTI and don't mind paying the petrol for the enjoyable drives. But I used my Golf regularly for a couple of weeks again in Jan and was shocked at the petrol  :surprised: I remember when I started driving it was like 70p/litre! :scared:

*although I use the EV for "boring" driving, it's actually quicker 0-30mph than the GTI! 450Nm of torque  :scared:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 01:53:48 pm »
pics of the elec car pweeese,  :party:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 03:39:53 pm »
My one doesn't have all the stickers

Proton Saga EV. Didn't get as much attention as our series hybrid did, the Exora Range-Extender EV, which won the award at the Brighton to London Future Car Challenge for "Best Extended-Range Electric Vehicle".

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 05:11:08 pm »
We are currently getting through an average of £100 a week on fuel to run the ED30  :scared:

Unfortunately getting closer every day to the point where i'll have to seriously consider a swap to the black stuff... 123d would be most likely choice, very impressive drive  :happy2:
..........now that is scarey !!!!!!!! :scared:  :surprised:.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »
I had exactly the same thoughts a week ago.  I put £140 of petrol in my car over the course of the weekend due to a 400 mile round trip.  I was seriously thinking of selling the Ed30, chopping it in for a cheap A3 TDI or a BMW 123d and keeping a bit of cash to chuck into the house.

It has just turned 3 years old and 50k miles, so thought it was wise to get rid of it whilst it still had some value in it and before too many more miles went on it.

I decided against it though as I won't be happy in a lesser specced and lesser performing model and know I will regret selling the Ed30. I bought it new, worked hard to get it and specced it exactly to how I want it, so it seems silly to get rid for the sake of it as I suffered the depreciation on it and think I need to get my moneys worth a bit more.  I think I was just down in the dumps as I had to fill it from empty to full twice within a matter of days.

I could probably halve my fuel bills easily by getting a diesel, but someone asked me what I would spend the money on that I save.  Errrr, something else like the Tesco shop, was my reply.  I don't smoke, don't drink that much and have no kids to consider so I'm keeping it.  However, when it does come time to change then my next car is more than likely going to be a TDI of some sort.

I'll probably be having the same thoughts in a couple of weeks as I have another 400 mile round trip to do and will be grumpy again when I get back :grin:

We are currently getting through an average of £100 a week on fuel to run the ED30  :scared:

Me too....fill up at least once a week from empty to full.  Probably spend £350-400 a month just on petrol.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:59:16 pm by Golfgirl »

FOR SALE!