Make a donation

Author Topic: What is a reasonable price for R32/S3 brake setup?  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
What is a reasonable price for R32/S3 brake setup?
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:18:20 pm »
Thinking about upgrading my brakes but don't really have a clue about them...  :rolleye:

What would be a reasonable price to pay for:

1)  R32 front and rear brake setup, includes calipers, discs, pads and dust shields. Doesn't include hoses/lines. Covered 27k miles.
2)  S3 front and rear brake setup, includes calipers, discs, pads. Covered 19k miles.

Also, how much is it likely to cost to have them fitted?

Thank you.  :smiley:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: What is a reasonable price for R32/S3 brake setup?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24:40 pm »
thier was a complete set of r32 front and rear brakes  on e bay for £599 .. i bought some Front r32 calipers for mine of e bay £200 delivered,the back plates are £8 a side of the dealers,i got my pads and discs for trade price for£100 but they are cheap on e-bay for a set... Dave b isthe one to contact for the hoses
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:27:18 pm by maxitrol »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »
Remember that the r32 brakes come in blue and i think the s3 ones are black so you'd have to factor the cost of powdercoating them red.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Slickline

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:20:58 am »
The Mk2 Seat Leon Cupra has 340mm front brakes same as R32 / S3 and come in the nice red colour as standard by the way :happy2:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:31:46 am »
thier was a complete set of r32 front and rear brakes  on e bay for £599 ..

Yeah, these are the ones I'm on about. He's got £599 or best offer, what would be a reasonable price for them?

Remember that the r32 brakes come in blue and i think the s3 ones are black so you'd have to factor the cost of powdercoating them red.

£80 as a guide for the fronts!

:surprised: That seems a lot! I was expecting about half that price for front and rear, lol.

The Mk2 Seat Leon Cupra has 340mm front brakes same as R32 / S3 and come in the nice red colour as standard by the way :happy2:

Yeah, I did read that somewhere, they would be ideal but they don't seem to come up as often as the R32/S3 brakes though.  :sad1:

So, anyone know the rough cost to have the brakes changed over?   :smiley:
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »
Just spoke to Midland VW to get mine quoted up for fitting (fronts only) , he said about £100 to fit them, maybe £120 if struggle with bleeding them, and putting all the stuff back in, so not too dear at all really.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:26:36 pm »
I paid £220 IIRC for my S3 rears from DaveB. On my car, the black calipers look absolutely fine.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:50 pm »
I'm actually getting my red brakes powder coated black!

@Mandy

The guy whos selling the R32 brakes I'm told is good for a deal outside of ebay. I'd start at around late £400 and see how you get on.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:59 pm »
Who is best on here to do powdercoating? My red ones are just sprayed red, and there is a chip on them before they have even been put on.
Know DaveB has done this kind of thing in the past, but think he has retired?
What sort of price should I expect to pay?

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:43:35 pm »
I'm actually getting my red brakes powder coated black!

The guy whos selling the R32 brakes I'm told is good for a deal outside of ebay. I'd start at around late £400 and see how you get on.

Lol, I could just leave them as they are (blue/black), it wasn't until recently that I realised the calipers at the back are red too. I never clean them so people would just assume they're black anyway.  :ashamed:

My first offer to him was a little over £400 outside of ebay but he wasn't interested, he said he wants £550.  :sad1:

Just spoke to Midland VW to get mine quoted up for fitting (fronts only) , he said about £100 to fit them, maybe £120 if struggle with bleeding them, and putting all the stuff back in, so not too dear at all really.

Thanks Al, I asked my mate from VW and he said £60 or £100 if the hoses needed doing too. Sounds about right then.  :happy2:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »
Who is best on here to do powdercoating? My red ones are just sprayed red, and there is a chip on them before they have even been put on.
Know DaveB has done this kind of thing in the past, but think he has retired?
What sort of price should I expect to pay?

Al, I don't think Dave has retired 100%. He's just busy with work and family so I think he doesn't want to commit to anything but he will help you out if he can and certainly point you in the right direction re powder coating ect.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:00:27 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

psw mk5

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »
The lad off eBay is from Rochdale north west - grim up north I agreed on £599 fitted at his mates garage ..last sat.. But he didn't inspire me with confidence as he said will only take about 1hr for front and backs  :scared: in the end right place right time bought red fronts from awesome for £400 fitted so getting em done at a place I can trust.... :notworthy:

Offline Obese

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:46:32 am »
The chap on ebay that has the r32 brakes did my complete s3 setup for £550 delivered outside of ebay but still through paypal which i didn't think is too bad, i have had a few other bits through him but he seems to be a bit slack with getting things posted out!

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:38 am »
Seems a bit slack replying to emails too.  :signLOL:

Do you have a pic of your car with the S3 brakes on? Did you leave them black or change them to red?  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 10:03:26 am »
Dunno if it helps, Mandy, but here's a pic of S3 rear brake in black (and because I'm a picture whore):

^ The black caliper just looks like part of the mechanicals and doesn't stand out as a 'wrong' colour imo. My fronts are AP's and red.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:05:47 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!