Make a donation

Author Topic: Dealer tyres  (Read 1214 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Dealer tyres
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
What tyres do the dealers put on? I went to pick my motor up today after its had it's service. They said I'm going to need a new tyre soon - which I don't as there's still 4mm of tread left. Anyway they quoted be £86 + vat which I didn't think was too bad depending on the brand. I forgot to ask when I was there.

Cheers

Andy

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Dealer tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:54:48 pm »
I imagine they differ from garage to garage. I think they come with Continental when new - at least that was the case with the Edition 35 I was looking at today.

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »
When I my local dealer quoted a while back Bridgestone/Pirelli etc where all around £180 give or take a tenner (for 225 40 18)

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:27:11 pm »
they will have quoted you for a budget tyre, it defo wont be continental or the like. i had my GTi serviced by vw last month and my tyres were just over 2mm left, they quoted £106 per tyre supplied and fitted, i asked what brand they were and he wasnt sure but it wold be a budget tyre at that price

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:47:16 pm »
I was sat in the dealers on morning when a customer was informed they needed 2 tyres fitting. She asked how much and the service guy quoted her for either Goodyears or Nankangs. The Goodyears were cheaper (and very competitive) as "We have a special deal at the moment".  She ordered the Goodyears at a price I would've paid at a local trusted tyre centre.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:03 pm »

Hi Andy,

At the beginning of this year I was quoted a similar price from a dealers for 2 Continental contisport 3's - as someone has pointed out in a previous post these are the tyres that the gti comes with when new....I called my hubby and asked his opinion. He had a quick check on the net and compared to other tyre sellers (black circles, tyreshopper, etc) the dealers were offering the best price.

I also managed to get them to fit 4 new VW badges in the centre of the wheels for £20 all in, as the old ones were shot.

Contisports are a good tyre, in my opinion better than the vreds that were on previously.

Offline sundance

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:12:53 pm »
Twickenham VW (part of Inchcape group) offered to price match Halfords and gave me a fitted price of £151 for Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 on 225/40/18.  I thought that was pretty good :-)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:46:09 am »
just checked the bottom of the print out and I've got 2 tyre choices

1 Nexen @ £81.60
2 Avon @ £108.29

Though I doesn't give specifics about which model.

Andy