Make a donation

Author Topic: Tesco momentum  (Read 8206 times)

Offline Aaron_RJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Tesco momentum
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:37:26 pm »
Anyone running with tescos 99ron? Always used v-power but thought I'll give it a go filled up from empty and doesn't seem to be any worse off performance wise than v power.

Going to do some logs soon to compare to v power

Bonus with momentum is spend over £50 on shopping with tesco and get 5p per litre Off
2007 GTI | 18'' Monzas |Xenons|Highline|MFSW|Lux pack| Factory Tints |Cruise control
Mods: VWR Quickshift |Forge DV |Autotech HPFP| Sportlines | |Goodrich hoses |Milltek non res TBE | Stage 2 map | Custom CAI

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Tesco momentum
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:22 pm »
ive used it for a while now and cant tell no difference to the v-power,  i bought a few things off tesco direct recently and got 6 quids worth of vouchers through the post, so thats 6 quid off my next fill up :jumpmove:

theres savings to be made with the 5p off offer and the clubcards too
Still Here!

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:59 pm »
Ive used it since it first came out more or less and i cant tell any difference betwen it and V-power :happy2: So fill your boots

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:35 pm »
I've recently gone back to Momentum from V-Power as it's closer to me. Can't tell the difference performance wise.

Much prefer Tesco's Clubcard point system to Shell's, at least they actually send you the vouchers.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »
Ive used it since it first came out more or less and i cant tell any difference betwen it and V-power :happy2: So fill your boots

+1  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »
I've used Tescos momentum in both my GTI's and found no difference between it and v power :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:53:53 pm »
This has come up several times before.

When living down south, I had the luxury of both. Tended to use Tescos when I couldn't be arsed to get cash for the Shell garage. T99 gave better mpg but V-power made the car feel more aggressive.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vjp0pdfdlkdhroea756rbfc5rt&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:49:17 pm »
I use tesco99 when I can! :happy2:

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 07:47:41 am »
Tesco,s whenever possible..Bonus shopping(5p off a litre) and clubpoints.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:51 am »
As above, I mix and match depending whats closer when I need to fill up and have never noticed any difference in performance.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:23:12 am »
ive tried it lately no performance gain but 4-5mpg better than esso i normally use

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »
Tesco,s whenever possible..Bonus shopping(5p off a litre) and clubpoints.

^^ This.
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:23 pm »
Comment by a professional tech/mech:

"The supermarket diesel is a nightmare. One of the main reasons most people are suffering with repeated egr faults due to the fuel not burning as well and carboning up everything. My mate runs a 206 gti 180 and every 2 weeks he would have to clean his tailpipes because of soot. He asked my opinion, I blamed fuel. Turned out he was using Tescos fuel. Told him to run something good. Has never cleaned the pipes since and says it is has a lot more torque. He was amazed by how much difference it made."

Okay, that's for diesel but [< my error]. Personally I'm not inclined to trust supermarket fuel and V-Power has some healthy additives.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:59:45 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:11:40 pm »
I didnt realise 206 GTI's ran on diesel.....that could be his problem!!!! :laugh:
Nowt wrong with polishing your pipe regularly, infact it gives me great pleasure!!! :signLOL:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »
Comment by a professional tech/mech:

"The supermarket diesel is a nightmare. One of the main reasons most people are suffering with repeated egr faults due to the fuel not burning as well and carboning up everything. My mate runs a 206 gti 180 and every 2 weeks he would have to clean his tailpipes because of soot. He asked my opinion, I blamed fuel. Turned out he was using Tescos fuel. Told him to run something good. Has never cleaned the pipes since and says it is has a lot more torque. He was amazed by how much difference it made."

Okay, that's for diesel but personally I'm not inclined to trust supermarket fuel and V-Power has some healthy additives.

Little bit conflicting as the 206 GTI 180 isn't a diesel it was a 2.0l petrol.  I guess they are just quoting lack on complete combustion, is this a personal quote or was this from another source?  Mainly out of interest.  I get black sooting on my pipes with Vpower but I guess that is the oil and un burnt fuel that a catch can should trap, do you get much on your quad pipes robin as I know you have a catch can.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.