Make a donation

Author Topic: Tesco momentum  (Read 8209 times)

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Re: Tesco momentum
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »
Rich, I get black soot on my tailpipes too, regardless of whether I had the Catch Can fitted or not. Obviously got worse when it was mapped....probably down to my foot always being flat to the floor!!! :laugh:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:13 pm »
Good to know Mark, like the purpose and idea of a catch can just not managed to justify the cost yet as the engines standard.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 03:03:34 pm »
Somewhere on this forum, can't remember exactly where...it was mentioned that all supermarket fuels including BP blend in a proportion of bio fuel in their petrol. This is to reduce overall cost.

Apparently, V-Power does not do this. 

Anyways, the thought of my car running on vegetable oil doesn't appeal to me...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »

I didnt realise 206 GTI's ran on diesel.....that could be his problem!!!! :laugh:

....I think his 206 GTI example was given as separate to his comment on supermarket diesel fuels - I'll check with him next time we speak.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 04:58:09 pm »

Somewhere on this forum, can't remember exactly where...it was mentioned that all supermarket fuels including BP blend in a proportion of bio fuel in their petrol. This is to reduce overall cost.

Apparently, V-Power does not do this. 

Anyways, the thought of my car running on vegetable oil doesn't appeal to me...

....I've heard that said too. I prefer the peace of mind which comes with using V-Power even if it costs a little more.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 05:05:41 pm »

I get black sooting on my pipes with Vpower but I guess that is the oil and un burnt fuel that a catch can should trap, do you get much on your quad pipes robin as I know you have a catch can.

....My quads are ceramic coated satin black and so don't show soot build-up so obviously. However, I have noticed when I clean them (no more than once every 4-6 weeks) that there isn't a lot of soot.

Yesterday I emptied another 10oz of oily sludge from my Forge CatchTank but I really wouldn't like to reliably say that it's related.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:46 pm »

I didnt realise 206 GTI's ran on diesel.....that could be his problem!!!! :laugh:

....I think his 206 GTI example was given as separate to his comment on supermarket diesel fuels - I'll check with him next time we speak.

Ha ha that would make sense  :evilgrin:

Have you ever followed a converted diesel running on oil it smells like a chip shop! Bio Ethanol isn't good for the world third world countries have been known to convert there food producing land for Bio Ethanol plants to move to a cash crop leaving the population with a massive food defeceit, not very clever!

Ahh so you took the wise decision to pre-black out your pipes shrewed move  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »

Have you ever followed a converted diesel running on oil it smells like a chip shop! Bio Ethanol isn't good for the world third world countries have been known to convert there food producing land for Bio Ethanol plants to move to a cash crop leaving the population with a massive food defeceit, not very clever!

....Plain stupid!  :stupid: It's rather like us being sold on the idea that the Toyota Pious is eco-friendly - What about battery production etc and what about the Dust-to-Dust factor which takes absolutely everything into account regarding the carbon footprint, literally from manufacture to disposal.

Ahh so you took the wise decision to pre-black out your pipes shrewed move  :happy2:

....Oh dear! You've given me an excuse to post a pic:

I tested Milltek's first powdercoated prototype for them through a winter with bad results and hence it was decided that ceramic coating was the next trial. Total success from first installed in Summer 2009. In my case, having shiny quads was a bit in-yer-face and the black quads are much more subtle, especially being slash-cut '/' rather than straight-cut '|' tips.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rj0okjhat0a1oalc5dv3rd0tsg&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »
^^ they do look the dogs!  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 05:34:37 pm »
Interestingly, I was having a chat with a mate about the benefits of higher ron petrol. He has a Boxter and used to run it on bogstandard fuel. I told him to use V-power and he cannot believe the difference in performance. He's having to get used to the car all over again!

Having said that, he found his fiesta diesel would run better on supermarket diesel rather than tr more expensive stuff with the exception of BP. Apparently the car ran best on BP diesel rather than shell/tesco stuff.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »
^^^^
Cheers, Rich  :drinking:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 05:45:22 pm »
They do look nice and im a fan of subtle. 

Dont get me start on the cack eco credentials of the Pious (like your re-naming) its all a load of rubbish, fuel consumption isn't that much better than a standard 1.6 that weighs the same the listed figures are nearly imposible to replicate.  And the acid and heavy metals in the batteries and motors completely destroy the environment in a way that makes CO2 and potential effects of rising global temperatures (note I didnt say global warming) just wont its completely poppycock.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 05:48:15 pm »
my R has only ever been run on Vpower, never planning to change  :innocent:

my truck though... tesco's all the way as it costs almost £100 to fill it so 5p off per litre really helps as do the points  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

my R has only ever been run on Vpower, never planning to change  :innocent:

my truck though... tesco's all the way as it costs almost £100 to fill it so 5p off per litre really helps as do the points  :laugh:

.... :happy2: That's exactly the point: 'Trucks' engines are designed to run on poorer less high quality fuels whereas the 2.0T FSI and other performance engines are likely to last better on V-Power I reckon.

Saint Steve

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »
Ive always used momentum, and i cant tell the difference between that and V-power.

Tesco's clubcard points are good but, they have recently halfed the value of the points when you fill up. No longer a £1 per point, its £2 for a single point. ( or 25 points for £50)

Unless you use a Tesco credit card, which ive aquired recently, that then still gives you £1 and 1 point, getting more value for money with your clubcard points.
That and all purchases using Tesco's credit card, you earn 1 point for every £4 spent.

Every little helps  :ashamed: