Make a donation

Author Topic: anyone into road bikes? (not motor bikes!)  (Read 4024 times)

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
anyone into road bikes? (not motor bikes!)
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »
hi guys looking to get my self my first "roady" this year ready for the summer! im no noob to bike as im wel into the mountain bikes but dont have a clue about road bikes so anyway heres my dilema! i have a choice of these bikes...

2011 Cube Peloton
2011 Canondale synapse tiagra
2011 Specialized Allez Comp (been offerd a cracking price)
2011 Trek 1.2

all around same price range but just dont no what to do! any help?

cheers, mitch

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: anyone into road bikes? (not motor bikes!)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:20:52 pm »
I used to race bicycles (amateur time triallist). Bike prices very much reflect the quality and hence prices of all the components - So you tend to get what you pay for as the market is competitive. The heart of a good bike is the frame and lightweight isn't everything when you factor in your own body weight and build - Stiffness is important (rather like aftermarket engine mounts). Even among road bikes there are lots of choices so you need to know exactly how you want to use your bike.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

h4rdy

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »
I just sold a Merida 880-24 which was around the £500 mark.

Quite nice but I am into Mountain Bikes so found it boring to be honest.

But I do like the quality and price of the Merida's.

J

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:59:46 pm »
Hello Mitch, I'm into me road bikes to be fair.  You won't go far wrong with any of the big brands.  Most (if not all) offer a lifetime warranty on frames and at least one years warranty on components so you can buy with confidence.  Most important thing of all is that the bike fits you well.  Try and find some bike shops that will let you test ride any of the bikes you fancy and if you don't know what size you need already, find someone who knows how to measure you up properly.  If you come up between two particular frame sizes, always go for the smaller one.  Test rides will definitely help you make the right decision.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:12:06 pm by JJ »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:05:35 pm »
^^^^
JJ is right  :happy2: I used to have my bikes custom built by Condor Cycles, London. One race bike and one for winter training with mudguards.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:16:20 pm »
^^^^
JJ is right  :happy2: I used to have my bikes custom built by Condor Cycles, London. One race bike and one for winter training with mudguards.

Condor make some lovely stuff Robin.  If you've still got the bikes, hang onto them.  I reckon they'll become very collectable.  Modern road bikes have all got fat tubes but fashions go in circles so skinny tubes are bound to come back into fashion at some point.  You don't see much Reynolds 853 these days!

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:29:12 pm »
used to be in a club, i have a de rosa, great but takes up time, i would go for the allez comp, good entry level bike, friend got one last week for a good deal too :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 07:35:16 pm »
^^^^

Condor make some lovely stuff Robin.  If you've still got the bikes, hang onto them.  I reckon they'll become very collectable.  Modern road bikes have all got fat tubes but fashions go in circles so skinny tubes are bound to come back into fashion at some point.  You don't see much Reynolds 853 these days!

....I sold them both when I stopped cycling in 1999. Am not surprised that Condor are still going strong - Good family business: Monty and his son Grant, been going since the 1950s IIRC.

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:38:47 pm »
Thanks for the advise guys its good to hear from other peoples experiences ect, the allez is lookin fav at the minute! Ive been messured up and they say im more a 55 but the two bikes ive ridden were only in 54,56 and i tried the 56 and got on fine with it! Im now waiting on demos of the cube and cannondale as ive ridden the others!

Mitch

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:42:45 pm »
Blimey! Some Retro Bikes.......

I have my last bike I was given when i was sponsored.

It is in the loft, Colnago Super in the wine red with white panels, Columbus SLX, chrome rear triangle, and forks.

Group Set is a special one.  The Campag Anniversary Groupset - 50th year.  Lots of 18ct Gold inlay bits.  It was never built to be ridden.  Just a gift from a sponsor in 1983.

I also had a lovely made to measure Brian Rourke, IMO THE best frame builder in the UK.

Colnago is all wrapped in plastic and sealed, checked every few months.

Wheels are the Campag anniv hubs, complete with Gold Inlay Skewers, on mavic Service D'course rims, with very perished Clement Criterium tubs fitted.  Saddle is a white San Marco Rolls.

Even has alfredo Binda toe-straps!

I also have an modern Titanium framed Litespeed Siena. (3 years old)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:55:36 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »
A very similar bike, saddle is different and brake levers are not set at the awkward angle on mine.

ID card needed to reorder parts.........

Example of the Gold Inlays

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »
That's brilliant stokeballoon!  I've only ever seen pictures of the 50th Anniversary stuff.  The boxed groupset looks good enough to be wall mounted and admired as artwork!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 07:54:26 pm »
Hi mitch your about my height I went for the 56 they recommend that size from 5.9 to 6 foot. I ordered the new allez triple and for the price according to all the reviews the frame and forks are top and the mavic rims are better on this years model. If you get it anywhere near what I paid you will be very happy! I do get heavy discount though as we do all their printing.
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »
Nice dave didnt realise you were a competitive rider. Oh wasn't hedge really into cycling a few years back? I'm a noob to road bikes myself but used to cycle 100 miles a day when I was a courier a few years ago :)
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 08:03:15 pm »
Used to be a First Cat back in the day.

Get out just for fun now, although with petrol prices the way they are.............

Fook My Tall hat!  From Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250761493050
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:08:30 pm by stokeballoon »