Make a donation

Author Topic: Petrol prices have dropped! ....just not in the uk?!  (Read 4958 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Petrol prices have dropped! ....just not in the uk?!
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:31 am »
Sky news this morning:

UK Fuel Prices Soar To A Record High

Last Updated 07:01 18/02/2011
Lulu Sinclair, Sky News Online
Petrol and diesel prices are at a record high, with the motorist losing out over cuts in the wholesale market, the AA has said.
Average petrol prices are 128.81p a litre with diesel up at 134.01p a litre.

And, unlike elsewhere in Europe, a fall in the whole cost of fuel has not been passed on to drivers in the UK.

"The problem is the supermarkets watch the independents and price fuel accordingly, while the independents watch the supermarkets," an AA spokesman told Sky News Online.

"And the independents ask why they should cut prices when the supermarkets then go on to undercut them," he said. "The problem is that it's always the motorist who loses out."

The AA has said that the difference between last year's record high and this year's is that - unlike last year - wholesale prices are lower so there is no reason why prices at the pump should be so high.

It has also claimed that if motorists had been given a 2p drop in the cost of petrol, most of the impact of the VAT rise in January would have been wiped out.

The motoring organisation is calling for a fuel regulator which can adjudicate between interested parties in the same way that other industries operate.

"The cosy convenient relationship where major suppliers say they would like to bring down prices but cannot because of competition is not good for the motorist," the spokesman said.

"Frankly, we don't see why the profits being made on fuel seem to be offsetting price cuts on toilet cleaner or whatever.

"Fuel sales have fallen 13% since 2007 because of soaring prices and the poorer families are being hit hardest. Road fuel is a fundamental necessity, not a luxury."

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Petrol prices have dropped! ....just not in the uk?!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:40:28 am »
Good old rip off Britain. I've been asking the same question for a couple of months now.

What this country needs is fuel to be the same cost no matter where you are in the country. It annoys me how there is such a vast difference in the price of fuel. Sometimes within a couple of miles of each other.

The best one i have seen recently is 2 Shell gargaes directly opposite each other and there is a 2p difference per litre on the Left hand side to the Right hand side :stupid:

We also should follow the US example and have a system in place where when fuel cost is high the tax is lower and when it's low the tax is higher rather than the governement keep adding 1-2p to the cost of fuel every 3-4 months :fighting:

Someone needs to develop a car that runs on Air :laugh:. That would piss the fuel companies off. Half the problem is though as soon as someone comes up with a viable alternative the fuel co's start stifling the competition. Their bubble will burst soon though as it aint going to last for ever.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:54:46 am »
Their bubble will burst soon though as it aint going to last for ever.

It will last a lot longer than you think, once the price per barrel gets high enough the marginal reserves that are currently un-economic will become viable, then watch out as the USA will invade Canada as they have masses of oil you just have to heat it up under ground to crack it off!  :wink:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:53:29 am »
heat it up under ground to crack it off!  :wink:

I'm all for cracking it off.  :wink:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 11:54:37 am »
heat it up under ground to crack it off!  :wink:

I'm all for cracking it off.  :wink:

:signLOL:

Offline Scousus maximus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:55 pm »
It still gets me pi$$ed off how diesel is so much more than petrol. When diesels first started getting put into cars it was quite a bit cheaper than petrol, once the govt saw how popular it was becoming they decided to have a bit more of it.

I also remember on hols in Crete a few years back they were paying the same per litre in cents as we were paying in pence and at that time the pound was well off against the Euro.Another Rip off Britain statement. I suppose we'll never win on this one.

Incidentally , my Dad invented an engine that ran on air and washing up liquid, bubbles under pressure and  a pin in place of spark plug. It actually worked and he's now living a life of luxury on Mars or so he told us on his last community release day.

John

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
Any new invention would be taxed in the same way as petrol/diesel. If it ran on air, you'd have a tax for it too - how much air it used, how much emissions it produced etc. If theycouldn't, they'd just increase road tax.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:23:53 pm »
They would struggle to Tax Air considering how abundant it is  :grin: :grin:

But yeah completely agree they would just increase road tax or tax on the vehicle at purchase etc to offset the loss :fighting:

When i win the Euromillions 100 Rollover jackpot of £50 trillion I'm going to buy the UK and sort this mess out once and for all :signLOL:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:56:28 pm »

When i win the Euromillions 100 Rollover jackpot of £50 trillion I'm going to buy the UK and sort this mess out once and for all :signLOL:

Bagsy being Minister in charge of legalising drugs and prostitution with all the political perks that go with it..... :evilgrin:

I'll also be Air Vice Marshall on the weekend (as long as I have my own Typhoon with my name on the side ...."AVM DaveB FTW" )

I will also vote to bring in laws that see anybody being cruel/abandoning cats or dogs will be made to live in a kennel, made to poop in the open air be castrated after a week and then be humanely euthanised after a month to see how they like it.

I'm in the middle of a rather nice viannese swirl, I shall add to my list of revolutionary demands as the afternoon progresses.....

:star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 02:18:19 pm »
No need to legalise prostitution Ill make it free for everyone :laugh:

Drugs will still be banned I'm afraid. After all we cant have you crashing your Typhoon because you were smacked up to your tits on some Colombian pure can we. :grin:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:32:44 pm »
My Boss reckons im on something dodgy with my landings anyway......  :laugh:

Thought of something else.....

Current outgoing politicians should be buried to the neck in potholes, should make for an interesting drive home........

At least when you buckle a wheel you get a sense of satisfaction

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 02:57:37 pm »

I'll also be Air Vice Marshall on the weekend (as long as I have my own Typhoon with my name on the side ...."AVM DaveB FTW" )

Candy White edition 30 Typhoon by perchance?

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »
^^^^ colour would certainly make it faster  :innocent:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 04:05:57 pm »
I would just like to had one idea to the minister DaveB can we stop giving India billions of pound for nothing, even India said they don't need it :confused:

I'm sure we could spend it on torture devices for the current government :grin:

Darren

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 06:26:20 pm »
I would just like to had one idea to the minister DaveB can we stop giving India billions of pound for nothing, even India said they don't need it :confused:

I'm sure we could spend it on torture devices for the current government :grin:

Darren

Seconded....it just made the manifesto, together with free iPads for all and no taxes for all blondes with big t1ts