Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 Gti vs Skoda Octavia VRs  (Read 23689 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Mk5 Gti vs Skoda Octavia VRs
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 09:47:49 am »
What you need to do is now rag on some standard cars to make yourself feel better. Like micras. :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 09:49:16 am »
 :grin: :grin:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 09:51:49 am »
I'd have thought he has some software on there or that your car isn't running as sweet as it could be.  I think it takes a very keen driver to be able to make changes as quickly as DSG, coupled with the slight weight advantage he probably shouldn't have been pulling away.

I agree.. The only way a vRS should pull on a DSG GTI (that's tucked up behind it) is if it is modded in some way (ie most probably mapped). A mapped vRS isn't going to "Drive off" from a DSG GTI, even if it is mapped. They are a good 100kgs heavier for a start...
My guess is that is would gradually pull away, which is pretty much what has happened  :wink:

a Stage 1 car is quicker than standard yeah, but won't jump into another time zone once the right pedal is pushed..  :signLOL: Especially on a short blast down a slip road..
You need a Stage 2+ KO4 for that..  :laugh: :booty: :signLOL:

How fast do you think a standard GTI is? It has 207lbft versus a decent mapped car with 260+ lb/ft. The vRS will pull away a fair bit quicker than you think. DSG only helps up to 60mph due to how quick the gear changes come. Once going it isn't that much of an advantage (I'm talking standard cars here not mapped or anything else)

Their is a difference of 68kg between a vRS and GTI DSG. In favour of the golf.

However the Octavia has a better Drag Coefficient hence the Golf gets to 62mph quicker (6.9 secs vs 7.2) but the vRS has a better top speed (149mph vs 145mph)

You need to remember reaction times aswell. If you have a fairly quick car you can get the jump on a lot of cars quite easily.

Another way to look at it is this. It would be the same as a rolling start as both cars were prob doing around 30mph before booting it on the slip. The Octavia will pull away slightly (despite the DSG) as it's on the power earlier and once getting to 60mph + cuts a better line through the air. The Golf would then have had to deal with all the turbulent air at the back of the Octavia and having the drag coefficient of a house brick this wouldn't have done it any favours.I've no doubt if the Golf had been in front then the situation would have been reversed.

When I was stage 1 only I could pull away quite easily from my mates Focus ST (which is quicker in a straight line than a standard GTI DSG) so I think if the Octavia in this instance was mapped. Then it was a crap map, the driver was crap or he just wasn't trying that hard.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:11:06 am by vRS Carl »

RustyGTI

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »
Wow, this has certainly generated some debate (as suspected, hence why I posted)...

I've driven some powerful cars in my time and believe my golf to be running about 200bhp...i.e. it feels about 200bhp quick (fast, but could be faster :smiley:), hence why I was a little disconcerted by the Skoda...I think my car is running ok as far as I know, although I genuinely believe (drag co-efficients / reaction times aside) that the Skoda I was playing with was mapped...he was pulling away, no question, and DSG or no DSG I wouldn't have caught him...

Ok, so my course of action for a start is a stage 1 Superchips remap and a decent panel filter (all suggestions welcome!!)...

Saint Steve

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 07:58:46 am »
Do it^^^ :signLOL:

Bluefin and panel filter is a relatively cheaper way of beating a skoda  :laugh:

He would need stage 2 to match you, with your quicker shifting dsg.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 08:37:42 am »
^^^

Or just learn to drive properly  :innocent: :evilgrin:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 09:06:27 am »
^^^

+1  :laugh:

@  RustyGTI - Have you inspectyed your dump valve, or are your running the revision D piston type already, could be you have torn diaphram type valve and have not noticed. 
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 10:51:52 am »
you have a k03 so i wouldnt bother with the bluefin personally.  Id go with shark performance and their STS handset.  Slightly more expensive (although there is a group buy on at them moment saving a fair mount of money)

Quite a few guys on briskoda, here and SCN have found the k03 TFSI bluefin maps to be lacking in a few areas.  In all fairness my stage 1 was really smooth and practically oem in delivery, just grossly underpar compared to the competition.  But the problems seem to arise when you go bluefin stage 2 and 2+.  

I know of at least 5 guys now who have had erratic power delievery and power characteristics on stage 2 bluefin, myself being one of them.  I changed to shark performance and it really was a huge difference in drivability, smoothness and power.

Timmy on here made 251Hp with bluefin stage 2+ even with them tweaking the map to try and sort it out, he changed to shark just after me and made 274hp on the same rollers and mods.  

f you had a ed30 id have said yeah bluefin was fine as it seems to work well.  Also echoing what the guys have said, check you diverter valve.  that can esult in a loss of performance
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:54:24 am by Janner_Sy »

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 11:23:17 am »
I'm with Sy on this.. I would give SC BF a miss and go for Shark or Revo a go..

RustyGTI

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:00 pm »
The other types of 'map' are certainly there for consideration - how would I check the DV? Is it something easy to do that I can check myself, or is it a dealer job? - my car is under extended warranty still which is a plus...

Thanks

Russ

you have a k03 so i wouldnt bother with the bluefin personally.  Id go with shark performance and their STS handset.  Slightly more expensive (although there is a group buy on at them moment saving a fair mount of money)

Quite a few guys on briskoda, here and SCN have found the k03 TFSI bluefin maps to be lacking in a few areas.  In all fairness my stage 1 was really smooth and practically oem in delivery, just grossly underpar compared to the competition.  But the problems seem to arise when you go bluefin stage 2 and 2+.  

I know of at least 5 guys now who have had erratic power delievery and power characteristics on stage 2 bluefin, myself being one of them.  I changed to shark performance and it really was a huge difference in drivability, smoothness and power.

Timmy on here made 251Hp with bluefin stage 2+ even with them tweaking the map to try and sort it out, he changed to shark just after me and made 274hp on the same rollers and mods.  

f you had a ed30 id have said yeah bluefin was fine as it seems to work well.  Also echoing what the guys have said, check you diverter valve.  that can esult in a loss of performance

RustyGTI

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »
...it was actually the Skoda driver who undertook someone on the slip road just before joining the motorway causing them to swerve... :surprised:, shocking bit of driving... :stupid: :smiley:

^^^

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 03:18:12 pm »
...it was actually the Skoda driver who undertook someone on the slip road just before joining the motorway causing them to swerve... :surprised:, shocking bit of driving... :stupid: :smiley:

^^^

I'm just teasing mate :P

To check the DV is pretty straight forwards if your handy with a spanner. Just remove the under tray, It's on the rear of the engine on the drivers side. Held in by either 3 x 5mm or 3 x T30 bolts. Just undo those, remove the electrical connector and Roberts your mother's brother.

For a bit of clarity have a look in this thread. It's for a DV relocation but it will show you were it is for you to check :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17736.0.html

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:48 pm »
I'm just teasing mate :P

To check the DV is pretty straight forwards if your handy with a spanner. Just remove the under tray, It's on the rear of the engine on the drivers side. Held in by either 3 x 5mm or 3 x T30 bolts. Just undo those, remove the electrical connector and Roberts your mother's brother.

Unless you're a fat boy!! 

Having recently changed my DV to the revision 'D' I can confirm that if it is damaged/split it will drastically effect the performance.  when I get the chance I will post an image of the old type removed from my car.......not a pretty site!!

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:47 pm »

Unless you're a fat boy!!