Make a donation

Author Topic: Xennons  (Read 3223 times)

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
Re: Xennons
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »
Note they are not complete! No bulbs or transformers. They look expensive for an incomplete set.

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:51:01 pm »
It says they're for left hand drive vehicles so simply put no, they won't be okay for use in the UK.

The more complicated answer is that the headlights units have a switch on them which allows them to be used in country's that drive on the other side of the road (UK, Australia, Japan, etc.) but this doesn't "convert" them, it merely "chops off" the part of the light that would otherwise blind oncoming traffic in much the same way that the little stickers you can buy to make your lights "safe" for use in foreign countries do.

All in all I'd say it's worth waiting for a proper set of RHD ones to come up...

h4rdy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32:28 am »
It says they're for left hand drive vehicles so simply put no, they won't be okay for use in the UK.

The more complicated answer is that the headlights units have a switch on them which allows them to be used in country's that drive on the other side of the road (UK, Australia, Japan, etc.) but this doesn't "convert" them, it merely "chops off" the part of the light that would otherwise blind oncoming traffic in much the same way that the little stickers you can buy to make your lights "safe" for use in foreign countries do.

All in all I'd say it's worth waiting for a proper set of RHD ones to come up...

What and where is this switch?

Is there one on UK Mk5's with Xenon for driving in Europe?

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:08 am »
Neimad is right.........but how much for incomplete lights :jumping:

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:07 am »

What and where is this switch?

Is there one on UK Mk5's with Xenon for driving in Europe?

Yeah its inside the back of the lights, it adjusts the shutters for driving on the continent.  quick google should find you the how too, but from memory you need to remove the back panel of the main projector and shove your hand inside (strongly suggest making sure the lights aren't on when you do that) Im not even sure the ones in the advert are actually genuine xenon lights as it says you have to bring your bulb holder and level adjuster from your own lights, there were some halogen xenon look lights that I saw knocking around on ebay and they were for specific L or RHD cars.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:27:33 pm »
How about the DS-2 ones on this site ?
http://www.allpartssouthwest.com/acatalog/Special_Offers__GOLF_Mk5_2003___1K1__548.html
£209.17 each inc vat. No ballasts etc just the units.
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline York_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:45:02 pm »
They look decent, but nearly £420 just for the units.  Fit an aftermarket HID kit and it would bring them to just under £500, about what genuine ones sell for on eBay from what I have seen - but these will be brand new I guess :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (North Yorkshire)

Carbon Steel Grey 5 door 2010 (60) Golf MK6 GTi DSG / Leather / RCD510 / 18" Monza Alloys

Carbon Steel Grey 3 door 2011 Golf MK6 GTD DSG / RNS510 / Leather (NOW SOLD)

Tornado Red 5 door 2009 Golf MK6 GTi DSG / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap - 261 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Black 3 door 2006 Golf MK5 GTi Manual / 18" Monza Alloys / PDT Stage 1 Remap & HPFP - 262 BHP (NOW SOLD)

Nasir

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:27:41 pm »
They look decent, but nearly £420 just for the units.  Fit an aftermarket HID kit and it would bring them to just under £500, about what genuine ones sell for on eBay from what I have seen - but these will be brand new I guess :happy2:

HID 'kits' make the car look cheap and taccy

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »
not to mention blind everyone.  :fighting:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:31:31 pm »
I picked up my set for £360 with ballasts and bulbs from eBay. They were from a MK5 R32 that had covered around 60k miles.
The set you linked to is definitely overpriced.

I've had no issues with them whatsoever to date. I'd keep browsing eBay.co.uk while checking the sellers section here and a set is likely to come up soon I'd say.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door