Make a donation

Author Topic: Air-con gas level  (Read 7041 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Air-con gas level
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:44 pm »
Evening chaps.

Does anyone know if the level/pressure of the gas reservoir can be measured through VCDS or is it a case of fitting a gauge to the entire system via the top up point. the only reason I'm asking is because I'm pretty confident that the system is empty, its struggling/taking a while to drop the temperature and de-mist the car. Its previously been in to the dealer due to a leaking pressure relief valve and no doubt they've managed to shag the the fitting previously.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Luke.
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline tmagnet

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Air-con gas level
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:41:43 pm »
You can measure the gas pressure via VCDS- quite what it should measure I'm not sure, as there is a big difference between the pressure before you've used the aircon and while it is in use

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
id also like to know the same, as i think my AC has a slow leak on it.  i had mine re-filled with leak dye last year and have got hold of uv torch, could anyone tell me where abouts the Pressure relief valve is?

if i find any VCDS info Luke ill post it up :happy2:

brett
Still Here!

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cgqvqhu00m9emehmd3jtlkgfag&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:54:51 pm »
If you have low refrigerant it will show as an error in VCDS and will look like the below!

---------------
Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: 1K0-907-044.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 907 044 BJ    HW: 1K0 907 044 BJ
   Component: ClimatronicPQ35 090 0909 
   Revision: 00090016    Serial number: 00000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
   VCID: 70E4D2761ACB

1 Fault Found:
00229 - Refrigerant Pressure
            002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

---------------

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:34:38 pm »
Pressure relief valve is next to the cam belt cover behind the charcoal canister.

Darren

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »
cheers Darren  :happy2:   ill have to get my magic torch out and have a butchers
Still Here!

Offline strapper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:02:27 pm »
The pressure is only indication, doesnt mean the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system. I have done a couple of recharges now and I put in about 600-800 grams of refrigerant and it works spot on. You will roughly be seeing about 8-10 degrees celcius coming out of the air vents. any lower than this will means the charge is incorrect. If you happen to live close by I will gladly recharge, check it for you...................for a small fee off course :signLOL:
Tornado red mk5 Gti no more
Tornado red 3dr mk5 R32, leather recaros, satnav, arm rest, electricaly folding wing mirrors, sunroof, parking sensors, wOOwzers I've just made a mess of my trousers!l
Mk7 Gti 5dr solid white

Offline strapper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:06:50 pm »
Pressure relief valve is next to the cam belt cover behind the charcoal canister.

Darren

Its not a pressure relief valve. Its a low pressure switch and is normally closed and when the refrigerant pressure drops it opens the circuit stopping the compressor from running and damaging it. It doesnt relief any pressure from the refrigeration system.
Tornado red 3dr mk5 R32, leather recaros, satnav, arm rest, electricaly folding wing mirrors, sunroof, parking sensors, wOOwzers I've just made a mess of my trousers!l
Mk7 Gti 5dr solid white

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:24:13 pm »
The pressure is only indication, doesnt mean the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system. I have done a couple of recharges now and I put in about 600-800 grams of refrigerant and it works spot on. You will roughly be seeing about 8-10 degrees celcius coming out of the air vents. any lower than this will means the charge is incorrect. If you happen to live close by I will gladly recharge, check it for you...................for a small fee off course :signLOL:

You should say where your based?  aircon re-gassing is a useful skill.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline strapper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:31:06 pm »
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Handy when your an air con refrigeration engineer :happy2: :wink:
Mk7 Gti 5dr solid white