Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking to Buy With DSG  (Read 2286 times)

Offline as400

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 0
Looking to Buy With DSG
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:23:56 pm »
I fancy a Golf so will be looking to part ex my Merc 320cdi for something a bit more fun.

Am on a budget so probably am looking up to £9K and fancy one with DSG.

What sort of things should I be looking out for on a test drive?...any obvious things to notice with these gearboxes, have they generally been trouble free?

Thanks for any tips!

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
Re: Looking to Buy With DSG
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:28:28 pm »
Hi AS400

Just do a search on here for new owner pointers, there have been loads of threads about it.

But, as a general rule, from someone who bought one with every problem !

DSG - Mechatronic units fail, so if it jumps on idle, or kangaroos is probably a better description. Unless under warranty walk away ! Other than that they are solid and really amazing, much much better than manual !

Off topic slightly but make sure you put the aircon on cold and make sure it is freezing ! compressors go all the time in MK5's and is an expensive fix !
 :happy2:
While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:51 pm »
A full service history including the DSG service at 4 years is essential. Make sure that the cambelt has been changed beyond 4 years and had the pulley and the water pump changed at the same time. The cam follower lobe is prone to wear, so ask if this has been inspected/changed too - an enthusiast will know what you are talking about with this one. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline as400

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »
Thanks!....seem to be quite a few ex company high milers out there with full VAG service histories, have never been too shy to buy a car with 100K on it as long as the service history is complete (my Merc has 185K and drives perfectly!)...

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on by a golf with say 120K on it but one company owner from new and full VAGSH?....chancing your arm or will VW have ironed out any problems?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:54:57 pm by as400 »

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:48:39 pm »
Thanks!....seem to be quite a few ex company high milers out there with full VAG service histories, have never been to shy to buy a car with 100K on it as long as the service histor is complete (my Merc has 185K and drives perfectly!)...

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on by a golf with say 120K on it but one company owner from new and full VAGSH?....chancing your arm or will VW have ironed out any problems?

As long as the things that the chaps have mentioned have been sorted out then there shouldn't be any problems with that kind of mileage. Especially if they're motorway miles. For 9k though you can get a decent spec that hasn't done that kind of mileage. Hope that helps!  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:59:09 pm »
Hi AS400

Just do a search on here for new owner pointers, there have been loads of threads about it.

But, as a general rule, from someone who bought one with every problem !

DSG - Mechatronic units fail, so if it jumps on idle, or kangaroos is probably a better description. Unless under warranty walk away ! Other than that they are solid and really amazing, much much better than manual !

Off topic slightly but make sure you put the aircon on cold and make sure it is freezing ! compressors go all the time in MK5's and is an expensive fix !

Now if that doesn't tell how good the DSG is nothing will, he has every reason to be bitter with his story, and yet is still sensible to see through the pain and praise the DSG.  :congrats:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »
Morale of the story is warranty.

Offline as400

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:03:56 pm »
Morale of the story is warranty.

Oh good idea!. ....can you recommend a warranty that covers against problems with the DSG unit?

Offline Creatz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
  • The Noob
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:02 pm »
i have an RAC one with mine and they have always paid out for anything except cosmetic and the stereo
without an excess

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:11:01 pm »
Warranty direct mate ! Very very good and you can choose between Indy or main dealer

Paid out my 1400 mechatronic bill no probs

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:49:26 am »
I looked into getting  a DSG when I bought mine, was going all the way down to Essex to look at it when my  MK3 packed up, never got there in the end and wasted 4 hours only to have to go back.
Regret not trying it now as I have been in a few MK5's that are DSG and they do look great fun, but I just like the manual gear changes too much to ever give that up.
Add into that the severity of the problems that can arise and you could end up with  a costly bill.