Make a donation

Author Topic: EOS wing mirrors on a MK5  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
EOS wing mirrors on a MK5
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:21:32 am »
Morning all,  Just wondering if anyone knows if the wing mirrors off an EOS are the same size and shape as the Golf?  In particular the triangular plastic plate where they join the body and the fixing points and angles. 

i need a new drivers mirror and there are more suitable EOS mirrors than the right specification golf part.  Cheers Rich

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: EOS wing mirrors on a MK5
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:47 am »
when the mrs gets home tonight mate i can compare the golf with her eos if you like? unless someone beats me to it  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:50:29 am »
when the mrs gets home tonight mate i can compare the golf with her eos if you like? unless someone beats me to it  :happy2:

That would be very useful VC.  I have tried to compare pictures but its hard to judge the perspective   :notworthy:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:58:14 am »
no worries mate  :happy2:

obviously i can only do a visual check and get the measuring stick out, the only thing i cant check is any fitment behind the plastics but i wouldnt have thought they would be wildly different as the eos is VWs parts bin and is made from other cars like jetta's, golfs, polos etc  :smiley:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:17:00 am »
Thats all I need really, I believe the wing mirror fitment is probably ok, as its much smaller and seems to be the same for most of the models of the era.  (at least I think it is unless the angles are different to accommodate a body that slopes in more, which makes me think that the plastic trim is the only part that alters from model to model, and is likely to be the same for the Jetta Golf and possibly the EOS.

Visual check and measuring stick will be great cheers  :smiley:

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »
I think the base plate for the EOS mirrors is a slightly different shape as is the case with the Passat and Golf Plus.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:05:32 pm »
Yes unfortunately Rich they are different,  so are the passats,  you can split them down if you fancy a bit of a challenge :grin: you would need to take the wiring out then take the retainer off the large spring this will seperate the base from the the mirror just needs changing round then.

But beware the retainer on the spring needs a lot of pressure exerting onto it to get it back on, I've done it by hand but it is hard.

Darren

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 04:10:11 pm »
Yes unfortunately Rich they are different,  so are the passats,  you can split them down if you fancy a bit of a challenge :grin: you would need to take the wiring out then take the retainer off the large spring this will seperate the base from the the mirror just needs changing round then.

But beware the retainer on the spring needs a lot of pressure exerting onto it to get it back on, I've done it by hand but it is hard.

Darren

Hmmm right well that doesn't sound like a lot of fun!  I was playing with my new passenger side mirror last night and it didnt seem to want to come to pieces too easily!  I suppose this might be one of those situation where I have to do things the proper way then  :sad1: 

VC if you havent already probably not worth getting your yard stick out tonight might be a bit cold and the local rossers might object.  Thanks though buddy.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »
its a different shape mate

the golf plastic is alot taller and has an angle in it on the riser whereas the eos mirror is essentially just a triangle

(she's just got home)  :smiley:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 04:14:01 pm »
its a different shape mate

the golf plastic is alot taller and has an angle in it on the riser whereas the eos mirror is essentially just a triangle

(she's just got home)  :smiley:

Thanks very much VC greatly appreciated, will be back off to ebay then.  :drinking: