Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 GTD or TDI GT  (Read 16707 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Mk6 GTD or TDI GT
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:13 am »
Musing and contemplating only at this stage.

Love my gti to bits, and I had planned on keeping her for two more years, where she will be seven years young with about 70,000 miles under her belt. Three things are driving my thoughts, 1) sick of going to the petrol station and paying £73 every two weeks 2) kind of would be more convenient to have two doors at the back and c) I'm falling into the trap of wanting a change three years into ownership of a great car....

The mk6 golf in both the above versions is one of the few cars that fall into my thoughts for consideration.  Is the GTD worth the extra money? I'd love another dsg but the costs may sway me back towards that old retro way of driving....

Any angle on the GTD vs tdi GT would be appreciated....

of course I may just throw out these selection criteria and get myself a porker 911 c4s circa 2002-3...... :evilgrin:

Generally it has to be German....scirocco/s3/a3 maybe....

:confused:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:33:40 am by no golf clubs at all »

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: Mk6 GTD or TDI GT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:38:45 pm »
no one?  :sad1:

Went to the stealers to have a look at lunchtime and got the inevitable lazy sales person attitude.

"cough" " you will not get a hold of a GTD son, they are like hens teeth!" really? well you have one for sale in your other branch.....err ehmmm... :indifferent: I walked away anyway as I had to be back in the office for a meeting/

Looking at the difference, one is 8.1 0-60, the other is 6.9.

So, my question is really...is the GTD just a styling thing as opposed to say the TDi GT 2.0? any thoughts on either will help.

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:04:15 pm »
the cost to change would be more than your petrol bills over 2 years.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »
was following a mk6 GTD today and parked up next tot he tdi GT at lunch time and both were black so my toughts for what they are worth

i like the looks of the GTD (only the rear diffuser let it down as a bit weedy compared to the GTI) you are getting a GTI chasis set up, car needs to be on 18s, my local dealer has a graphite blue one in and looks superb

i think the tdi GT is a good lucking car on 18s but lacks a bit of the impact from the GTD, i think long term residuals will favour the GTD

if i was buying a derv hatch a GTD it would be with a map  :happy2:

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:12:41 pm »
Thanks Guys I am still doing the maths, need to factor in a few things. But yes the costs of the GTD would probably outweigh any benefits,

I get about 280 from a tank, a colleague at work gets 510 from her GTD (doesn't mean I would though  :evilgrin: ), so just say half the petrol costs, which means Id pay £70 less on fuel, so I will add that into my monthlies.

The other 2 doors would be nice though and a newer car good (for a while at least)

I am not too convinced by the non GTI version really, its a bit staid for me. I will probably stay with my one for at least another year....

having said that......  :party:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:10:45 pm »

Love my gti to bits

^^^^ Obvious from the way you speak.

If you spend £73 a fortnight on petrol, what do you think you'll spend every fortnight on diesel? - Not so much of a saving is it.

I'd consider other ways to reduce your fortnightly/monthly outgoings. If you need the extra 2 doors though, that's another consideration. Giving up DSG would be very hard if you like it.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »
The GTD is actually a GTI in all aspects apart from the engine :happy2: it has the same seats same dash same body kit front and back bumper just a different diffuser with twin single side exhaust same brakes, you can even have the same spec.

Ive fitted out a few GTD's lately and they are a nice place to be and it will defo be my next car :happy2:

Darren

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:12 pm »

Love my gti to bits

^^^^ Obvious from the way you speak.

If you spend £73 a fortnight on petrol, what do you think you'll spend every fortnight on diesel? - Not so much of a saving is it.

I'd consider other ways to reduce your fortnightly/monthly outgoings. If you need the extra 2 doors though, that's another consideration. Giving up DSG would be very hard if you like it.

All true....therein lies the issue of having such a great car. As I said at the outset though I'm just musing for now and looking at ways of reduing the money I pay for fuel. I reckon I will have about £60 a month on outgoings to the petrol station though I will admittedly have to pay out more than that to finance the upgrade to a GTD. But I will get two more doors and the benefit of a new car.  I'm going to get my hard figures and work out if it makes any sense at all.

Probably the best thing i can do is get the mountain bike out and cycle to work a couple of days a week and keep my gti, added benefit in losing the gut and keeping the whooosh factor  :happy2:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »
Im pretty sure we have a few available at work, driven both and love the way the GTD looks bar the wheels but didnt like how it drove, just didnt seem like a 170 hp car.

I know VW have introduced the common rail engines into the range so im assuming it was just that (60 plate) then drove a 140 GT which I liked more (59 plate).

Needs the 18" vancouver alloys which ever you get though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:44:08 pm by Edition30 »
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:31 pm »
Giving up DSG would be very hard if you like it.
GTD is available with DSG or maybe i missed the bit were he said the one he was looking at was manual? :confused:
Theres a few people on the other golfgti forum who had GTI mk5s/Ed30 and have moved to the GTD have not read any complaints.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline tonker3

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
I swapped my Ed30 for a second hand, 6 month old MK6 GTD just over a year a go.

The pros: fantastic inside, major improvement over the MK5. On long motorway type journeys, it excelled. Smooth for a diesel, good mpg, easily achieveing 50 mpg over the 6 months I had the car.

The cons: it isn't in any shape or form a diesel Gti. Not enough power, but worst of all, the extra weight up front of the diesel engine ruins any thoughts of sporty handling. You just can't for instance attack a roundabout in the GTD in the way you can in the GTI, well you can but ultimately you will end up going straight on if trying to turn right! Mine was a 5 door Carbon Grey. The paint literally fell off it at the mearest hint of gravel/debris touching it. I've never seen a bonnet so badly stone-chipped over such a short period of time. I'm glad I didn't have it over this past winter with all the grit about! Basically the GTD is just not 'exciting' like a Gti.

Mine was a manual, so I can't comment on DSG as never had one, but going back I think it would have been more sensible to buy a GT TDI (140hp) with the 18'' wheels than the GTD. I think the GT is a more 'honest' car, not trying to be something it isn't, whereas the GTD is a bit of a VW marketing ploy, jumping on the GTI bandwagon.

Obviously I know people will disagree with me, particularly if they own a GTD, I think I upset a few people on the Golfgti forum for telling it as it is! But if you wanted to choose between the 2 cars, GTD or GT Tdi, after my experience I would definately save a few quid and buy the latter.

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41:44 pm »
All great comments thanks. Just what was looking for to be honest.

The dsg gtd is an option yes but I think the costs will outweigh any fiscal benefit.

I'm thinking the gt tdi may better suit me and maybe map it.

Again my car is fully loaded. It will be hard to give up the toys, sunroof, cruise, xenons, winter, lux, sat nav, leather, dsg.

As I say I need a few figures then I'll do the math. But from what I'm seeing tonker3 isn't too wide of the mark.

Thanks all.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 12:20:49 am »

Not enough power, but worst of all, the extra weight up front of the diesel engine ruins any thoughts of sporty handling. You just can't for instance attack a roundabout in the GTD in the way you can in the GTI, well you can but ultimately you will end up going straight on if trying to turn right!

....Interesting. I don't suppose you know the weight differences between the GTI and GTD engines?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tonker3

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:17:10 am »
No I don't have a clue, but you are probably going to tell me that they are nearley the same!

My experience of the driving differences between the Ed30 and GTD are purely personal. But when you drive vehicles over the same routes in similar conditions, I think you probably get a pretty accurate comparison of their handling characteristics.

I remember one of my 'few' previous posts where I mentioned that the suspension on my Ed30 seemed significantly harder than my previous standard Mk5 GTI. I ran 18'' Monzas on both cars. Somebody came on here to say that the suspension on both was the same, as I'm sure it is, but other posters seemed to feel the same about the Ed30 as I did.

Facts and figures are great, but I always think personal experience ultimately more useful.     

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:12 am »
This came up once before and someone stated that the new Diesel engines are only a couple of kg heavier 20-30kg I think.  In my experience of driving a 2.0tdi leon Sport and the GTI I certainly noticed the difference in turn in between the GTI and the 2,0TDI lump I know suspension and chassis are different between the models im comparing but the diesel certainly liked to carry on when you attacked a roundabout, was quite scary at times.

I did use to get a lot of miles to the tank no matter how hard I drove it which makes a big difference to the way I drive the GTI I dont see the point of chucking loads of money out the window on the motorway for an extra 10mph!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.