Make a donation

Author Topic: Dealer woes.......beware  (Read 4835 times)

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Dealer woes.......beware
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:07:20 pm »
Well, took the car to have the recall done on the coilpacks......

Said they'd do a free inspection and do a diagnostic to check the boost.

After 2 hours....the recall was one and diagnostics were clear BUT:

They reeled off two pages off things that need doing. Brake Fluid Service, AC Service, Front Bushes, Drive Shaft Boot (left side), Pads, discs etc etc

Get out to the car and they've scratched the passenger door.....LIVID. Dragged the manager out and he said they'll fix it. Booked in for 22nd March

Said ok and set off.......5 minutes down the road and nearly home the STOP light comes on and says brake fluid owner manual.....

Get home and call the garage I bought the car from......he said that all should have been picked up though will take the car back and have it looked at and pay for anything that need doing....GREAT. Also said to top the brake fluid up to stop the warning light.

Off to halfords and bought some brake fluid. When I get home and try to open the bonnet the handle is very stiff, Bonnet opens and what do I see......the brake fluid cap resting in the engine bay, not even in the reservoir.

Little bit has splashed  :mad: so pop the cap on and tighten and the warning light goes off.........miracle

Close the bonnet and the catch won't lock the bonnet down, have a lock and it's stuck, small screwdriver to move the catch and then the bonnet closes.....but this needs doing everytime.

Went in to ####ing dealers driving and working fine, comes out with allsorts wrong.......AARRRGGGGHHHHHHH

So they've lost a regular customer and will continue with my old indie from now on. 

Shocking service - they mustn't like doing free work so try to engineer more for themselves.

Saint Steve

Re: Dealer woes.......beware
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »
 :surprised:

Jesus, sorry to read this.At least alls being sorted F.O.C.

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »
Bloody Heeeeeellllllllll John

What dealer was this ! Shame them !

:popcornsoda: :popcornsoda:
While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »
I'd also recommend getting on the phone to VW UK, had some pretty awful experiences with dealers myself over the years but always managed to get it all sorted and get some compensation thrown in too when you involve the HQ  :fighting:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:22:27 pm »
Write a comprehensive list and make a polite call to VW as said, franchises are merely that and VW are normally pretty good

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »
Name'n'shame.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 06:41:21 pm »
Write a comprehensive list and make a polite call to VW as said, franchises are merely that and VW are normally pretty good sh*te.... :signLOL:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:07 pm »
Citygate Ruislip.

Will be writing to VW UK asap.

Thanks or the for the sympathy ppl.

J

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »
I've never had a problem at this dealer and always found them very helpful
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:53:26 pm by mb »

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:35:38 pm »
They seemed helpful, don't get me wrong and were very apologetic though the actual work standard is terrible.

They washed my bloody car as well.....after I told them not to....

Servicing guys were nice as were the sales team.....just the mechanics look like they are either straight from school or just can't be @rsed.

Might try windrush instead.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:03:26 pm »
Hmmm, I haven't been there since my service last May so I wonder if they have some new staff as the workshop guys I've dealt with have always seemed ok.  I always find the service people friendly and helpful.

I got no help from the sales people when I was looking for a car so wouldn't buy a car from them!

My Dad always ends up with a list of things Citygate High Wycombe find wrong with his car when ever it goes in

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:44:36 pm »
It's a sad fact that nearly all garages have way to much work on. The pound is king and all the staff in these places are under non stop pressure.
I always judge a garage by the sales reps. When i was looking to by my GTI i went into my local dealer and had a nasty 15 mins with a sales rep, who could not hide his lust for my money, or shouls i say for how much i coulod borrow from them. Before i could talk about options he wanted and needed to know about my financial circumstances. The second he spotted i had cash and wasn't going to just accept some nice mats as a deal clincher, he started looking at me like he scrapped me off his shoe.
The way i see it, if the garage manager is happy to have such a slimey sales twat, do business like this, then he will be happy for your car to get in and out with as much money extracted as possible with minimum care.  :fighting:

Rant over as you were.  :drinking:

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:48:01 pm »
The mechanic working on mine honestly looked as old as my stepson...and he's 15.

I don't mind paying that little bit more for main dealer service but expect a high standard of work.....leaving the cap of the brake fluid is inexcusable.

Have to put up with a flaming Volvo S40 while mines being done by the garage I bought it from.....thought asking for the Porsche 911 Targa was pushing it :)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »
It's a sad fact that nearly all garages have way to much work on. The pound is king and all the staff in these places are under non stop pressure.

This is true, just seen my mate who is a mechanic at the dealers and he's working late everynight and every saturday. Says he's already done over 45hrs overtime this month so far.

Our local dealer is selling loads of new cars, he said they bought a fleet of 60 new 1.4 MK6's and sold the lot super quick!

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:56 pm »
I'm pretty certain that the brake fluid cap incorporates a sensor - Hence the warning when the cap wasn't on.

The bonnet catch issue is a well-known one by any VW dealer worth his salt.

You don't say what your car is!  I'm assuming an older Mk5 GTI but there's all sorts on here nowadays.  

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!