Make a donation

Author Topic: Skiing in North America  (Read 1252 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Skiing in North America
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:06 pm »
How do Guys and Gals'

As the title says really guys, I'm trying to put something together for about 8 lads and we've only ever done Europe. Has anyone got any recommendations for decent skiing and a good night life etc either in the States or Canada? I'm pretty clueless on the locations as there's seem to be all the info on the web apart from the stuff I actual want.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Skiing in North America
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:06 pm »
Been to Breckenridge and Whistler and both are fantastic although they don't seem to do night life like Europe does. More based around bars, think "cheers" and you're not far off but get friendly with the instructors and they'll tell you the best places to go.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:04 pm »
Squaw valley, lake tahoe  :wink:

Used for the winter olympics once and epic slopes and board parks. Interesting fact - walt Disney did the commentary for the olympics there and used one of the mountain faces as the design for the thunder mountain railroad ride at the theme parks

Cool nightlife though, and you can do some gambling in Reno enroute  :happy2:

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:11 am »
Been to Beaver Creek and Vail, both fantastic ski areas but as above...not that lively post apres ski...everyone seems to sod off to their condos and make their own entertainment.

Had a few nights line dancing lol (nightmare at first but ended up being a right larf)...also we spent a night in Denver which was a fantastic city with loads of options for a great time.

If you are going in a big group I am sure you will make your own nighttime fun, but as a general rule of thumb the skiing is fabulous if a little "perfect" for my tastes.

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:43:46 pm »
Ive been to most of the above, jackson hole would be my recommendation depending on your level of boarding. But youl find the BEST snow in south america though, chillie and argentina  :drool: :drool:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 04:47:44 pm »
Squaw valley, lake tahoe  :wink:

Anyone thinking of Squaw needs to check this film out... http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/ Will make your trip more interesting.

Mammoth is meant to be epic this year, they have had so much snow! Although most of the USA has been rolling in pow this year!  :party:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »
Whistler for me chap.  Did a season there on a board in 2003.   The infrastructure has improved a bit since I last went in 2006 what with the Olympics and all that  - better road up from Vancouver and a high speed lift between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains.   Loads of bars a several nightclubs to keep you busy, cinema, loads of restuarants etc.   Loads of shops, a massive supermarket and offy in the village so if you get a condo or a chalet you can do a bit of self catering or whatever.   You can always bomb down to Vancouver for a day/night out if the weather's shoite or you fancy a rest day or whatever.  There's a particulary good burger place in Van called Hooters!   :laugh:

When it snows it snows!   Last week they had 2 metres with 25cms regularly falling overnight.  

The very best place I've been for snow is Fernie in British Columbia.  It's about two hours west of Calgary.  The town is tiny and there's not much there but it sits at the foot of 5 massive bowls.  When we rocked up the snow was 16 feet deep.  Powder up to your balls (eye variety!).

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:57:51 pm by JJ »

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:59:07 pm »
Cheers for the above info lads, exactly what I was after  :happy2:
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 12:00:06 pm »
Only dodgy thing about Whistler is it's proximity to the coast and the weather that can bring onto the moutains. When I flew out the mountain had been closed due to rain washing off alot of the snow, however by the time I'd landed they'd had a blizzard and it was open again. When I flew home 2 weeks later the rain came back and they closed the whole moutain again! One lucky SOB, but I met people who had their whole holiday abondoned due to the rain fall. This was mid January to early Feb mind so technically mid/high season!! Just be aware it can happen.