Make a donation

Author Topic: bonnet wont open!!!!!  (Read 35023 times)

Offline craig_t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
  • Craig
    • Email
bonnet wont open!!!!!
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:27:50 pm »
went to open the bonnet to check levels but it wont open. im pulling the lever probably 90 degrees and its still not releasing. its always been pretty hard to open but its never not opened.

any ideas???
Admin notice, sig pic removed for being to big.

Offline .:GTI|SUNNY:.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
  • I spend too much time on this forum, I'm addicted
Re: bonnet wont open!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:34:51 pm »
easy fix mate, get someone to push down on your bonnet whilst you pull the handle and it should pop open  :happy2:
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:03:14 pm »
Mine did the same,i had to remove the VW badge in the grill to be able to get at the cable and give it a pull whilst someone pulled the lever,I then routed it a bit better and applied some grease and its been ok since.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:27:32 pm »
Guys, this is happening quite a lot at the moment - happened to me yesterday too. My problem was related to a build up of salt and some corrosion on the top part of the opening mechanism. When you lifted the tab to open the bonnet it was not moving the catch enough - so got some WD40 on it, pressed tab and moved catch to left with screwdriver - did the trick. I'd encourage everyone to check their mechanisms after all this crappy weather as it is easy to prevent.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »
this happened on my vRS twice progressively getting worse and stiffer until it sheared the bonnet release handle from its mount.  replaced under warranty both times though

h4rdy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:45:38 pm »
Be really careful of that lever as the plastic part that holds the ferrel end of the cable can snap off too.

This requires a stripdown of the footwell to get the part off and replaced, I know!

My bonnet catch was shockingly corroded too, order a new one its cheap enough £20 odd quid I think.

Offline craig_t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Craig
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys.

It doesn't feel like anything has snapped, it just seems it doesn't want to open. Is it possible the cable has stretched??
Will getting someone to push down on the latch while I pull the lever work if it's stretched??

h4rdy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »
If that plastic piece that hold the ferrel on the lever end has broke, the lever will be floppy as there is nothing to hold the cable when you pull the lever.

If its not the catch is corroded and will need a liberal coat in WD40/GT85 before it will move.

Like I said when you get it open buy a new one!!!

Offline craig_t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Craig
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »
Managed too it open with someone pushing on the latch. Gave it a good spray with WD40 and has seemed to do the job. Thanks for all your help people  :happy2: