Make a donation

Author Topic: Is this a viable option?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Is this a viable option?
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:08:20 am »
I'm still keen to take the vRS to stage 2 but money is a bit of an issue, currently running stage 1 with a EVOMS intake, I have spoken to my tuner and they will take the software to stage 2 for £100 so thanks cool, the big expense for me is the DP. 
I was originally planning to fit a Pipewerx high flow DP with 200 cell sport cat, at £465 it was quite good compared to other systems, but since the VAT increase and a price hike it is now £550!  :surprised:  The alternative was a Blue flame de-cat which comes in at a very reasonable £230 delivered, the obvious problem with fitting this is when it comes to MOT time, fortunately I have a very friendly mechanic who will deal with this.  If I'm honest I would sooner be legal, so whilst browsing the net the idea struck me, buy the blue flame and then source a 3" universal sport cat and combine the two.  Alternatively I have also found a 2.5" 200 cell sport cat, and I wondered if it was an option to modify the OE down pipe, the idea would be to knock out the pre-cat directly after the turbo then replace the existing cat with the Sport version, then have the appropriate remap done, I'm sure I read a post mentioning the advantages of a 2.5" pipe over the larger 3" when coupled to the standard cat back exhaust.  Ideally I would have flanges fitted to the dp and cats so they could be interchangeable if I want to standardise the motor when I come to sell it.
Any views or ideas on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Lee.

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Re: Is this a viable option?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44:05 am »
Sorry for off topic reply but is this keeping you up lol!?

I allways say "if your going to fork out,do It properly" I know things are tight at the moment but I would just rather save for a while and get a decent one instead of buying an alternative and wishing I didn't!
But on the other hand! The combo you've thought of may be good! So I really don't know what to suggest!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:45:48 am »
I have a motto - 'Buy Cheap & Buy Twice'

Why not fit the correct DP and Cat and not bother with the software, you'll still some gains.

There is also a Blueflame GB here somewhere as well as Nigel (Ex BF) having his own setup now and trying to break into the market and of course there is the option to keep your eyes open for a used item.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:20:21 pm »
I have a motto - 'Buy Cheap & Buy Twice'

Why not fit the correct DP and Cat and not bother with the software, you'll still some gains.

There is also a Blueflame GB here somewhere as well as Nigel (Ex BF) having his own setup now and trying to break into the market and of course there is the option to keep your eyes open for a used item.

I am with you on the motto, but tbf I can't see a downside to my options if they are viable.
I have had my ear to the ground for a 2nd hand dp for over a year but without any luck, I have now heard a few 'things' relating to blue flame which are a little bit worrying!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:23:48 pm by Pagey1255 »

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html