Make a donation

Author Topic: Car rental in the USA  (Read 1537 times)

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Car rental in the USA
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:37:30 pm »
Quick question, who here has rented a car from the states? Ill be doing a road trip there this summer and intend to drive part of the 3000 miles journey we are doing.

We are renting via Hertz and this is taken from their website:

"An acceptable, valid driver's license issued from your country of residence must be presented at the time of rental. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, and the rental is in the United States, an International Driver's Permit is recommended. In all cases, a valid driver's license issued from your home country must be provided, whether or not you possess an International Driver's Permit. You will not be allowed to rent a Hertz vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit."

It does not mention anything about the paper part. Basically to cut a long story short do you need the paper part when renting a car out there? I have a DR10 to my name which Im sure they wont be too impressed with and want to try and hide it from them.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Car rental in the USA
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:41:28 pm »
I rented from hertz, at the checkout collection they only required the uk photo id licience and my international driving licience, took the paper part too but wasn't asked for it. They're not used to the paper part over there anyway tbh but can't hurt to take it  :smiley:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »
We hire cars in the USA regularly, they always state that they need to see the paper part but have never been asked for it.

They are a lot stricter about payment methods, most insist on a credit card (most wont accept debit) and put a large amount on hold in some cases. I would reccomend looking at Dollar car rental as well, usually a lot cheaper than most other. I have a voucher for a free upgrade for Alamo car rental (allows an upgrade to a car 1 level higher for free) if you want it just PM me. I wont be using it.

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:49:44 pm »
Because we are under 25 Alamo want to charge ua silly amount per day for the privilege so cant go with them, thanks for the voucher offer though. 4 of us going with 3 (including me) that can drive so I'll get the others to bring their paper part and Ill say I "forgot" mine if they ask. I think I've got more chance of driving without it than than with one that clearly states I had a ban last year.

Will take a look a Dollar aswell, cheers.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:06:32 am »
Having rented cars on several occasions from both America and Canada I can honestly say I have never been asked for the paper copy of my licence, in fact Avis Hawaii didn't even ask to see my Passport or photo ID. With that said i would recommend taking it with you anyway but i doubt you will need it.  WRT payment. Credit Card only i'm afraid.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline AlanD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:38:26 pm »
Alamo where crazy expensive. We have got prices from Doller and Hertz, but quite as cheap as we were hoping for.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for hire car comapnies in the US.

Cheers  :jumpmove: