Make a donation

Author Topic: Good or bad?  (Read 2481 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Good or bad?
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »
So I'm driving down this single track carriageway at a lovely steady 40mph using cruise control (courtesy of vrStu  :happy2:), mainly because no one else seems to realise that a white circle with a black line going through it diagonally means NSL and hence continue at 40 instead of 60.

Anyway, after swinging round a roundabout and heading for the DC, I was on a slip road pulling 30mph in fourth. There's a fair bit of traffic on the slip road so I go slow. I join the DC and decide I should be in the outside lane, so I drop from fourth down to second and the revs shoot from 2000 to 6000+, overtake and quickly slip through the gears until I'm at 70mph in 6th. God I love that surge of acceleration.

The question: Is shooting the revs up like that likely to mess things up in regards to the engine/turbo?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:17:23 pm »
Nope you will do it more harm flooring it in a higher gear i believe this will stress the clutch.
Engines are designed to rev  :driver:

Any way 30 in second gear must be miles away from the rev limit that would not even be 4000rpm  :chicken:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:21:50 pm »
Any way 30 in second gear must be miles away from the rev limit that would not even be 4000rpm 
30 was on the slipway. I was on the DC when this happened and was travelling fairly fast - dunno what it was but I was in 4th at 2000 revs on the DC and then changed down to 2nd.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:25:52 pm »
Any way 30 in second gear must be miles away from the rev limit that would not even be 4000rpm 
30 was on the slipway. I was on the DC when this happened and was travelling fairly fast - dunno what it was but I was in 4th at 2000 revs on the DC and then changed down to 2nd.

TWill be fine dude you also have a rev limiter, which some one will correct me if i am wrong but it would have just bounced off that until the revs where low enough.  :smiley:

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:26:41 pm »
Rev limiters are there for a reason so you'll be fine.  That said, dropping it into a low gear at high speed will do a fair amount of damage, so never be sloppy when changing down!  I know this brings up the fault code "Rev limits exceeded: Warranty void  :)" and we don't want that!
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:58 pm »
That's what I thought. Needed the turbo spinning and didn't think it'd spin fast enough if I went down to third so went down to second.

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:37:11 pm »
Valvers love being dropped down a cog or two and being driven to the redline, the power is at the higher end of the rev range.  Its one of the reasons I'm back in a GTI after a few years with a TDI.  I dropped 2 cogs in that and almost blew it up!
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline Toptrump

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 08:48:44 am »
That's what I thought. Needed the turbo spinning and didn't think it'd spin fast enough if I went down to third so went down to second.

You just need to drop down so the turbo is still "on" boost, and because they are pretty small things they spin up at low RPM so I would think 3rd would have been fine.

With regards the rev limiter, I didn't think the rev limited actually worked when you changed down to far.  I have seen the little needle way past what the limited was on my Civic by hitting the wrong gear by mistake.  Not tried it in the Golf to see.  :smiley:
Walk softly and carry a big gun!