Make a donation

Author Topic: More Worrying News - Libya Violence trouble for us !  (Read 5265 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: More Worrying News - Libya Violence trouble for us !
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 10:20:36 pm »

The Americans will make sure he goes, it's quite obvious they are hoping this domino effect will find it's way to the big fella Iran. Me thinks they will let it drag out for a few more weeks yet, to keep the facebook horror stories going.  :smiley:

....I hope that the solution won't involve the Americans too much, especially if military force is needed - It can only add fuel onto the fire between the West and the world of Islam.

Iran is a far more volatile can of worms - More like a can of spitting cobras!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 10:22:23 pm »

nostrodamus predicted it as well :surprised:

Also its the end of the world next year when the mayan calender ends

....Then I better order that option loaded RS3 afterall!  :grin:

pick me up an R8 spyder while youre in there too dude  :happy2:

....No prob. Will a white one with red leather do ya?

pearl "morello cherry" metallic with magnolia hide please  :party:

....VC, you're a man of taste - Consider it done!   [I wish!]

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »
Western intervention in Libya is a tricky one. On the one hand, many innocent people are going to die at Gaddafi's hands. On the other, Western influence will allow Gaddafi to proclaim that he's morally right because the uprisings are supported by foreigners. On top of that, let's remember that it was largely Western (read: European) influence that created all of these countries in the first place, creating them out of tribal desert areas with no defined borders*, and then allowed dictatorships to flourish because 1) it kept them uppity Arabs under control and 2) a pet dictator who was free with the oil was de rigueur at the time.
Tunisia/Morocco/Algeria had the French influence, Libya was controlled by the Spanish, and Egypt by the British.

*Drawing lines in the sand, as it were.

The uprisings in the Middle East are long overdue. Whether they will see a long term benefit for the people who live there is another matter.

This is very true, and it's about time the people have a chance to enjoy democracy as we have in the West - the Egyptians in particular are feeling their first freedom for about 5,000 years. Let's hope that there is not going to be an installation of a further 'round of dictatorships, but I have a feeling that now the people have found their voice that they will not allow it.

@ cmdrfire:

I forgot to ask you, Neo, whether you got around to seeing "The Promise". Last in the series was last night (Sunday) and it was very powerful indeed - Very well rounded and objective but I couldn't help myself continuing to favour the Palestinians as I do. The Jews have done themselves no favours throughout most of their history. I've never forgiven that family for not allowing me to continue to be the boyfriend of their extremely attractive Jewish daughter just because I wasn't one of them.

No, I haven't yet Rob - between illness, work, and then my trip to see the Shuttle (see photos thread!) I never got a chance to. I'll try to make time this week.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:07 pm »

Western intervention in Libya is a tricky one. On the one hand, many innocent people are going to die at Gaddafi's hands. On the other, Western influence will allow Gaddafi to proclaim that he's morally right because the uprisings are supported by foreigners. On top of that, let's remember that it was largely Western (read: European) influence that created all of these countries in the first place, creating them out of tribal desert areas with no defined borders*, and then allowed dictatorships to flourish because 1) it kept them uppity Arabs under control and 2) a pet dictator who was free with the oil was de rigueur at the time.
Tunisia/Morocco/Algeria had the French influence, Libya was controlled by the Spanish, and Egypt by the British.

*Drawing lines in the sand, as it were.

....Talking about Western colonial powers drawing lines in the sand, what about their stupidity and ignorance in drawing their dividing lines vertically instead of horizontally all along the Ivory Coast of Africa? It was of course natural for the indigenous tribal peoples to inhabit horizontally (latitude) and dividing it vertically cut right across all the different strata of tribes, many of whom were traditional enemies. Hence some of the ongoing problems of conflict.

No, I haven't yet Rob - between illness, work, and then my trip to see the Shuttle (see photos thread!) I never got a chance to. I'll try to make time this week.

....I think you'd be looking at easily 6 hours of TV! I still think you might enjoy it though.

I'm off to check out your pics of the Shuttle now. Glad you feeling better  :happy2: [Chris says he has emailed the LED tails project stuff]

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:06 pm »
You're right about the vertical lines, that hadn't occurred to me before.

I've got that email from Chris, will post more in the other thread about it probably tomorrow  :happy2: