Make a donation

Author Topic: iPhone Insurance  (Read 1427 times)

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
iPhone Insurance
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:23:12 pm »
Been searching for the above now ever since I first got hold of an iPhone and I just keep going round in circles. From research and the past 4 years experience there appears to be three main sources of mobile phone insurance:

• Service Provider (Voda, O2, Orange etc)
  • Banks
  • Third Party Insurer

Service Providers
Cover is generally pretty good with new for old (replacement as new) policies available, but they can be expensive policies and have varying excesses. It also restricts you to purchasing the handset from that particular provider - for example even if their 3G coverage is shocking they may have decent insurance (Vodafone).

Banks
Banks from experience provide the lowest level of cover, I have yet to find cover which is not a like-for-like (market value) policy. They will offer cash settlements of which are based on market value's instead of providing a direct replacement. They also require a huge amount of paperwork and take a good 3-4 weeks (if not months) to process your claim.

Third Party Insurers
Third parties vary in price and cover, but again I have yet to find cover which is not a like-for-like (market value) policy. So they will undoubtedly offer you a sub-standard valuation of which means you cant buy a new replacement.

Can anyone recommend a good insurer?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:26:50 pm by pazz »

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: iPhone Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:36 pm »
Protectmybubble.com ;)

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55:57 pm »
Protectmybubble.com ;)

Just saw that ad on the telly!  :laugh:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:40:16 am »
Mine is insured through lloyds gold account. They certainly match spec, when my 16gb 3G iPhone broke a few years ago, they gave me cash to buy a 16gb 3GS as the 3G was only available in 8gb.  They have done the same recently for a friend with a 3GS 32gb, they have given him the cash to buy a 32gb iPhone 4.  Mine is covered for everything, accidental damage, loss, theft, malfunction. Great service in my opinion!

Ps took 7 days from start of claim to money sat in bank account
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:41:54 am by winrya »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rbbli4tsakmm908unsfk34uu7q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:00:46 am »
I just canceled my insurance with o2... 15 quid a month!  :surprised:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
They gave me cash to buy a 16gb 3GS as the 3G was only available in 8gb.

Do you mind letting us know what they gave you as a cash settlement?

I have just two weeks ago settled a claim on a 16GB 3GS and they gave me the market value which currently stands at £375. Not quite enough to buy even a new 8GB 3GS. But the policies terms clearly stated like-for-like replacement of market value cash settlement.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:54 pm »
They gave me cash to buy a 16gb 3GS as the 3G was only available in 8gb.

Do you mind letting us know what they gave you as a cash settlement?

I have just two weeks ago settled a claim on a 16GB 3GS and they gave me the market value which currently stands at £375. Not quite enough to buy even a new 8GB 3GS. But the policies terms clearly stated like-for-like replacement of market value cash settlement.

It was a while ago but it was £440.  £450 was the price including £10 the top up you have to purchase which they didn't include.  Minus £30 excess.  There was no fighting, it was a simple apple don't make a 16gb 3g anymore so we will give you the money to buy the 16gb 3gs