Make a donation

Author Topic: What is the most efficient Passat?  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
What is the most efficient Passat?
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:48:01 am »
Hi all, my sister is thinking of buying a new VW Passat and wants one which is efficinet on fuel due to the ever increasing fuel prices. I was thinking of a diesel Passat but there seems to be quite a range and on the VW website it doesnt seem to tell you how many MPG the different models do, can anyone offer any advice on which are the most efficient ones? Thanks for any help

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: What is the most efficient Passat?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:49:37 am »
If they do a blue motion passat, that will be without doubt the best on fuel

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:49:50 am »
The Bluemotion range is the one to look at, im sure these are the range VW are pushing as there Eco friendly cars.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:57 am »
its the passat blue motion  :happy2:

it currently holds the world record for doing something like 1000 on one tank of fuel, i'll try and find the link

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:13 pm »
here you go:

1,527 miles on one tank: Passat BlueMotion sets new world record

A Volkswagen Passat BlueMotion has set a new Guinness World Record for the longest distance travelled by a standard production passenger car on a single tank of fuel.

The attempt, carried out by a team from The Sunday Times, involved driving from Maidstone in Kent to the South of France and back.  The Passat BlueMotion finally ran out of fuel close to Calais after completing a distance of 1,526.63 miles.

The route mainly followed French autoroutes, but included some town driving, resulting in an average speed of just over 45 mph.

Gavin Conway, for The Sunday Times, drove the Passat BlueMotion during the three-day record-breaking trip, accompanied by a navigator and video crew.  Two AA patrolmen followed the entire attempt in their van to witness the journey independently for the Guinness World Records organisation, which accredited the record.

Powered by a Volkswagen 1.6-litre common rail TDI engine developing 105 PS, the Passat BlueMotion used for the record attempt was a standard production model.  In common with the Polo and Golf BlueMotion models, the Passat is fitted with aerodynamic modifications to the bodywork, a lower ride height, Stop/Start, programmed battery charging, longer gearing and low rolling resistance tyres.  The result is a vehicle that is completely conventional to drive, service and maintain yet among the most efficient vehicles on the road today.

The Passat BlueMotion’s fuel tank was drained before the record breaking journey and filled with 77.25 litres of standard forecourt diesel, resulting in an overall fuel consumption of 89.83 miles per gallon.  This substantially exceeds the Passat BlueMotion’s official combined figure of 64.2 mpg.  The resulting fuel cost for the journey works out at just 6.17p per mile travelled.

In setting the record the Passat BlueMotion travelled a distance equivalent to driving from London to Malaga, without needing to refuel or from New York to Los Angeles with a single stop for diesel.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswagen-world/news/259/1,527-miles-on-one-tank:-passat-bluemotion-sets-new-world-record

:drinking:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:22 pm »
That must have been one BORING drive  :indifferent: :indifferent:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »
Thats really rather impressive!  they can take there electric and hybrid cars and shove them up there arse the bluemotion and other manufacturers approach to use conventional cars and engines more intelligently is whats needed.  And ultimately results in the least impact to the environment Prius and the other hybrids just move the problem from petrol and CO2 and NOxides to heavy metal, and acid production and mining completely pointless.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Ifti

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »
I have a Golf Bluemotion, and I can assure you they really are VERY economical.

With my ED30, I got through 1 tank a week, around 300 miles, which cost £50 to fil up last year - so say £60 now?
With the Bluemotion - same distance etc, I get over 2 weeks worth of driving - around 700-800 miles to a tank, on the same £60!

Typically on a run I get around 70mpg+.
Around town I get 55mpg+.

My best ever was in the summer last year - normal drive, so 70 on the M11; and 50 on the A406 and A13 - and I got 83mpg!

Ive driven from London, up to Middlesborough, around Newcastle, and all the way back again on just over 3 quarters of a tank!!
Did the same trip on my ED30 the year before, which cost me about £180-200!!!

Very efficient. Low tax and insurance - but a little boring to drive. But hey, as long as its saving me cash, Im happy!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53:39 pm »
Carl, the last miles not.  :wink:

Of course they had a van with fuel with them.

Yes, going this way seems much more intelligent, but media has made
a hype about Toyotas Prius and presented it as the golden solution.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:16:16 pm »
Carl, the last miles not.  :wink:

Of course they had a van with fuel with them.

Yes, going this way seems much more intelligent, but media has made
a hype about Toyotas Prius and presented it as the golden solution.

Noted in the article Bruce about the car being lowered, so it obviously makes a big difference to the overall aerodynamic efficiency, coupled with the under-body panels.  I remember from studying fluid dynamics and reynolds numbers that the depth of the stream (in this case air between the car and road) had a big affect on creating a non-laminar flow, so I guess this is the reason they lower the car, as it helps to reduce the under-body turbulence by reducing the depth of air.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »
R36  :evilgrin:

Certainly the most efficient way to relieve boredom.

Offline rdshaw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 04:07:25 pm »
R36  :evilgrin:

Certainly the most efficient way to relieve boredom.

+1    :evilgrin:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:08:32 pm »
they had an R36 and vRS estates at the ring as safety cars when i was there last.  R36 looked awesome, definitely a car on my list of to do's.  they are depreciating like rocks as well from what i gather

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »
they had an R36 and vRS estates at the ring as safety cars when i was there last.  R36 looked awesome, definitely a car on my list of to do's.  they are depreciating like rocks as well from what i gather

I can sell you an R36 steering wheel if you want to live the fantasy  :wink:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »
would be amusing with the wheel in my car, especially as the r36 engine is over 2.5 times larger than my little 1.4TSI.