Make a donation

Author Topic: Diamond Black advice  (Read 3228 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Diamond Black advice
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:49:19 pm »
I'm going to give the car a good clean this weekend - IF the weathers ok!!

At present I use the 2 bucket method using AG shampoo then AG SRP and was going to add the last step of collinite 476.  I've also heard reviews of Zaino Z-7 shampoo and poorboys black hole.  Would this make a massive difference or not.  I'm not obsessive with having a clean car but must admit I'm on the way  :rolleye:

Also the Mrs has a black 1 series - not metallic so whatever people suggest bear in mind I've have to do her motor as well.

Cheers in advance fellas  :happy2:

Andy

Offline jeynesey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
  • Mk5 GTi Edition 30
Re: Diamond Black advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:56:13 pm »
Dodo Juice purple  :happy2:

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »

Does that not cost a fortune?  Is it easy to apply?

Andy

Offline jeynesey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
  • Mk5 GTi Edition 30
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:59:31 pm »

Andy

Yes and yes lol.

Go to waxamomo, buy a "panel pot" it will last you 2 or 3 waxes  :party:

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 01:09:34 pm »

Andy

Yes and yes lol.

Go to waxamomo, buy a "panel pot" it will last you 2 or 3 waxes  :party:

Cheers for that mate I'll have a look

Andy

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »
Or try Autoglym ultra deep gloss or there HD wax works for me on my black ED 30. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »
Im not sure if it will give a great finish using AG Super Resin before you wax as it lays down wax as it polishes, so the wax wont bond to the car as well and so wont last as long. THe collinite is supposed to be very hard wearing so a good choice if you dont intend to treat the car to a regular top up.

I have used blackhole as a glaze and it does help with the pearlescent fleck and at masking some of the swirl marks, if you do decide to drop the SRP then try some Sonus SFX-2 I have used this by hand on my DBP and it gave some good results, also used it on a number of other cars and really cleaned up surface swirls and key and ring scratches around handle very well.

Once you start waxing you may find it hard to stop as you get used to having water bead off your car!  :rolleye:

As has just been posted been using HD wax on mine with great results, still wouldnt put it down on top of the SRP but more likely to bond if they use similar waxes in there compound (so same manufacturer is normally better.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:00:20 pm »
I get confused between polishes sealant glazes and waxes.

Do you wash then .... then .... then .... then wax?  Could someone fill in the gaps with some product suggestions?

Andy

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:50 pm »
Wash two bucket method with lambswool mit, then ideally clay but if not then polish Sonus SFX-2 what I use by hand, then glaze I use poor boys black hole, then either seal or wax.  Wax as with most of these stages will have a lot of opinions, your original suggest of collinite is probably a good one as its very hard wearing and from read ups easy to use.  I have been using AG HD wax which has been great but think its a bit pricier than the collinite.

You will also need polishing pads basic ones will be fine for this sort of application (rather than buying massively expensive AG perfect polish ones which are hand shaped) 2-3 good micro-fibre towels to remove the various products and to apply the wax you will want a applicator sponge which should be damp.

Add to that some time and a lot of elbow grease, but a very satisfying day!  Also with the high pressure that we have sitting over us at the moment weather should be stable and hopefully no rain!  although it might be a bit on the parky side.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:30 pm »
Cheers for the help RICH83 I'll hopefully have a dry weekend  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:51 pm »
Gah! My post didn't er post and then it timed out.

Final finish is all down to prep work. Wash the car. Clay it. Polish it then seal/wax it.

SRP is fine by hand and proven to be the most effective handpolish on DW. Obviously everyone has their personal preferences. No problem with laying down wax on top. Collinite is fine as is ag hd wax.

Machine polishing will give the best results but costs if you pay someone else or if you buy the stuff yourself.

Don't forget things like door shuts and boot shuts, plastics, glass, trim etc.

Once you've protected the car, simply wash regularly and  top up the wax when the beading starts to go.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:55:35 pm »
Cheers for the help RICH83 I'll hopefully have a dry weekend  :happy2:

Im hoping so too as I need to give mine a clean and a wax top up.  Also hoping to get at least one half of my new mirrors and door controllers in so I want dry and slightly warmer than it is now.

Stealth Ive used SRP in the past and have found it to only have a limited corrective action not much in the way of cutting compound, do you use it on your car or do you machine polish now?  Interested to know what results you have had with it?

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:09:37 pm »
Gah! My post didn't er post and then it timed out.

Final finish is all down to prep work. Wash the car. Clay it. Polish it then seal/wax it.

SRP is fine by hand and proven to be the most effective handpolish on DW. Obviously everyone has their personal preferences. No problem with laying down wax on top. Collinite is fine as is ag hd wax.

Machine polishing will give the best results but costs if you pay someone else or if you buy the stuff yourself.

Don't forget things like door shuts and boot shuts, plastics, glass, trim etc.

I thought/hoped you might be around  :signLOL:  cheers for your input also.

Andy
Once you've protected the car, simply wash regularly and  top up the wax when the beading starts to go.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 06:54:09 pm »
Machine polish when I can. So much better than doing it by hand. Even if it's a quick pass.

SRP doesn't have a huge amount of cut but it does fill in quite nicely. I went by a test on DW whereby they tried various products by hand and SRP had the best result of the hand polishes. My current fave is Lime prime but it's a huge effort by hand. I normally use Menzerna final finish.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 10:57:50 pm »
Machine polish when I can. So much better than doing it by hand. Even if it's a quick pass.

SRP doesn't have a huge amount of cut but it does fill in quite nicely. I went by a test on DW whereby they tried various products by hand and SRP had the best result of the hand polishes. My current fave is Lime prime but it's a huge effort by hand. I normally use Menzerna final finish.

Ahh ok be an interesting read if you have a link (not to worry if you cant find it easily will have a search) what were the other products in the test?