Make a donation

Author Topic: Car seems to be overcooling!  (Read 2117 times)

Offline AnilS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 1
Car seems to be overcooling!
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:30:52 am »
In October, my Wifes' GTI went to Johnsons (Sutton Coldfield) for a minor service, and I mentioned to them that the fan seems to come on very soon after startup, even when its freezing outside and it takes an age for the car to heat up. They diagnosed a faulty cooling sensor.

Now, I barely drive the car but I drove it 6 weeks later and it seemed no different! Took it back to them and they said that "something is full circuit". We argued for a bit and I refuse to give them the car again (especially for the whole day). :fighting:

I noticed today that, again, its taken ages to warm up and the fan is on/off continously (as you look in the engine bay, its the right hand side one). I then turned off the engine. It continues to run for a further 7 secs.

I turned the engine on, turned off the AC and all heating to the cabin. The temp gauge got to about a third of its sweep and I put the fan on full and at HI temp (still with AC off). It only took about 15 secs for the temp gauge to start to die off again.

Would this suggest the Thermostat needs replacing? :confused:

Any guidance/help appreciated. :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Car seems to be overcooling!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:32:58 pm »
If it was just the car over cooling through normal driving then I would think thermostat could have failed, but if the fan is cutting in then something thinks its too hot not that the water is staying too cold!  As an alternative could it be that the temperature sender to the dials isnt reading right and the car is warm but the dial doesnt read it so?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline AnilS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »
Thanks Rich. You can hear the fan cycling on and off every 30 secs.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:17:22 pm »
Thanks Rich. You can hear the fan cycling on and off every 30 secs.

Does it still do this in eco mode / ac switched off?
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline AnilS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:54:33 pm »
Yes, in either mode.